Best tires for the beach and streets.

15 replies to this topic
  • red7

Posted May 30, 2006 - 08:32 PM

I'm moving to Mazatlan later this year and have decided on a WR450 for exploring the beaches, trails and I'll also use it for cruising around town. To be realistic I'll probably use it 40% on the streets, 30% on the beaches which are fairly fine/packed sand, and 30% on normal dirt trails. Is there a specific tire that would be best for this scenario? What makes a good sand tire (other than paddle tires)? I have been reading some threads but most don't discuss sand. I've heard good things about the Pirelli Scorpion Pros. What else?

• Matty05

Posted May 30, 2006 - 08:51 PM

Dunlop 952's. I cant say enough good about them.

• red7

Posted May 31, 2006 - 09:40 AM

Do you know what's better/more durable on the streets between those and the Pirelli Scorpion pros. I know this bike isn't designed for city driving but the reality is it will be a lot easier (and more fun) to negotiate the busy streets of Mazatlan on this and I'll also have to drive a few miles to the vacated beaches that I can ride on.

• OlaGB

Posted May 31, 2006 - 01:22 PM

I`m impressed over MAXXIS IT rear tire.. My last tire was a bridgestone something, and it was gone after one week. Perhaps 250km tops..

My new MAXXIS IT has done 400KM of hard gravel and asphalt riding, doing wheelies etc, and has still got around 60-70% of its knob lenght left! And it grips very good in most conditions, althoug i havent got so many tires to compare it with..

• Matty05

Posted June 01, 2006 - 03:26 AM

Do you know what's better/more durable on the streets between those and the Pirelli Scorpion pros. I know this bike isn't designed for city driving but the reality is it will be a lot easier (and more fun) to negotiate the busy streets of Mazatlan on this and I'll also have to drive a few miles to the vacated beaches that I can ride on.

Never tried pirelli's.

Most here will agree with me and say Maxxis IT's and Dunlop 952's are the best, although I have never tried the Maxxis. I am not game to swap over from the 952's, they are that good for me.

What I can say to you is that I get the same life out of a Dunlop 952 as I did with a DOT spec Dunlop 606. The Dunlop 606 is made for people who ride on the road during the week then trail bash it on the week end. The life was the same, but the difference in grip is unbelievable. The 952 kicks arse everywhere. BTW, I get over 1000kms out of the rear tyre, and I like to punish my bike. :applause: I have never ripped or chunked one either.

• OlaGB

Posted June 01, 2006 - 05:48 AM

matty05: how much asphalt riding do you do?

• red7

Posted June 01, 2006 - 10:43 AM

How hard is it to change tires if I were to bring a few extra sets with me. What tools are needed and is it relatively easy to do in your garage or am I better off taking it to a shop down there? I think the more I can do in my garage the less advertising I'll do that I have a nice bike looking for a new owner.

• ARin

Posted June 01, 2006 - 12:08 PM

i have a 952 in the front, max IT in the rear. Wears well in a LOT of conditions, including the limited amount of pavement riding i do.

would maybe a trials tire in the rear work better for street and packed sand?

if you get a regular tire iron, and a LONG one...you should be able to change most tires. the only time i really have trouble is in the winter time, when the rubber is hard like iron.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OlaGB

Posted June 01, 2006 - 12:57 PM

This "trials tire" everyone is talking about, what tire is this?

• Matty05

Posted June 02, 2006 - 05:01 AM

matty05: how much asphalt riding do you do?

A little bit, depending on the way I go out of town, there is a 10 - 15km section before I hit the dirt track. So this makes up ~1/4 of my ride (100km fuel range).

I would like to try supermoto like you though! Looks truely awesome to me!

• Matty05

Posted June 02, 2006 - 05:04 AM

This "trials tire" everyone is talking about, what tire is this?

Just one of those tyres the trials bikes use. You know those blokes who ride up walls and have cat like balance?

They have started to get a following here in Australia too. Seems gay to me.....

• OlaGB

Posted June 02, 2006 - 07:42 AM

Supermoto is fun enough, but nothing beats good off road tires, and long gravel roads and wood riding on a WR :applause:

I`m back to my offroad wheels now, and having alot more fun with using the bike where it belongs, OFF road :D

I know about those Trial bikes, but i thought the discussed tire was 1 particular sort/brand, or if it just is a tyre pattern..

• red7

Posted June 10, 2006 - 07:42 PM

ARin, did you try both the 952 and the Maxis IT on the rear and then choose the Maxis out of them or have you not compared the two on rear? Also, are they both dot approved? I doubt it matters because I know they don't care in Mexico and I'm not sure here in Arizona where I will be registering it.

• ARin

Posted June 10, 2006 - 09:23 PM

i have used the 952 in the back, and it seemed to perform SIMILAR to the maxxis, but with a slight edge to the maxxis.

I just know that the 952 in front wears very well. Also, a friend of mine has been using a Kenda washogoul (sp?) sticky in the front, and it is also wearing VERY well.

• minion

Posted June 10, 2006 - 10:54 PM

I'm moving to Mazatlan later this year and have decided on a WR450 for exploring the beaches, trails and I'll also use it for cruising around town. To be realistic I'll probably use it 40% on the streets, 30% on the beaches which are fairly fine/packed sand, and 30% on normal dirt trails. Is there a specific tire that would be best for this scenario? What makes a good sand tire (other than paddle tires)? I have been reading some threads but most don't discuss sand. I've heard good things about the Pirelli Scorpion Pros. What else?

I currently use the Pirelli Scorpion Pros on my WR450. The front tire has amazing traction on almost any terrian, except for super sloppy mud. The rear tire is a decent tire, which excels on grass, but its weakness is super sloppy mud as well.

Both front and rear have amazing side bite, which is why I like them in the grass so much - you can really lean that bike and get good traction.

For a DOT tire, I wouldn't ride anything else, as they provide me with almost everything I want when it comes to trail riding. I've been riding a lot of mud lately though, and will probably switch to a different Pirelli more designed for mud the next time need new tires. So far I've got 350 miles on them, lots of MX track time, and some harescrambles, and they've not shown a whole lot of wear. An awesome tire if you need DOT approved stuff.

M.

• OlaGB

Posted June 10, 2006 - 11:40 PM

i have used the 952 in the back, and it seemed to perform SIMILAR to the maxxis, but with a slight edge to the maxxis.

I just know that the 952 in front wears very well. Also, a friend of mine has been using a Kenda washogoul (sp?) sticky in the front, and it is also wearing VERY well.

wich of the 952 and maxxis last the longest?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.