wheel and bearing???

7 replies to this topic
  • adam574

Posted May 30, 2006 - 08:32 PM

so most of us have changed some wheel bearings here and there. my question is. why is there a tube in the middle of both the bearings? it doesn't serve any structural purpose it is kinda just slapping around in there and i don't really see a need for it. did i miss the memo on this and it is actually really important?

• Thumpmeister

Posted May 30, 2006 - 10:27 PM

You mean the tube that goes in between each bearing on each side of the hub? Yeah, I would say its needed. I don't think Honda would have went through the effort of putting it in there if was needed.

I can't remember exactly what it was for, maybe something to do w/ the spacing of the bearing, and a little extra protection inside?

• adam574

Posted May 30, 2006 - 11:38 PM

i don't even think it is protecting anything... all the pressure is still on the bearing races. the part in the middle doesn't take a load off of anything. we all know those genious guys at honda do some weird stuff that doesn't make any sense. this could just be one of those what the hell is it there for parts.

• dukeryder

Posted May 31, 2006 - 01:34 AM

Try running without it! You won't be riding for very long. Without that spacer you'll blow your wheel bearings out in no time at all.

Trust me. The retard that built the wheels for the previous owner of my bike didn't put that space back in the front hub and I never got killed! Thank goodness he didn't forget it on the backwheel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 4Takt

Posted May 31, 2006 - 05:35 AM

The spacer takes the pressure from tightening the axle. Otherwise you'd push the inner bearing races in. You do need it.

4Takt

• sorenlaf

Posted May 31, 2006 - 06:25 AM

so most of us have changed some wheel bearings here and there. my question is. why is there a tube in the middle of both the bearings? it doesn't serve any structural purpose it is kinda just slapping around in there and i don't really see a need for it. did i miss the memo on this and it is actually really important?

Supports the bearing race when the axle is torqued.

It is REQUIRED or you wind up putting an axial load on ball bearings, and ball bearings don't do axial loads, only radial loads.

--Soren

• adam574

Posted May 31, 2006 - 06:36 AM

and my question has now been answered. it totally makes sense that the bearing can't take a sideways load.

• scapegoat

Posted May 31, 2006 - 11:43 AM

Its also important not to overtighten the axle nuts. The inner tube will mushroom on the ends and create a side load on the bearings causing a failure.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.