The Max Surface Temp. on Stock 450 Pipe?

7 replies to this topic
  • ADVnaut

Posted May 30, 2006 - 05:58 PM

I am going to put a pipe protector on my bike for the street. I have two choices. A hard silicon tubing that is really abrasion resistant but rated at 200 degrees F. or a less tough material rated at 350 degrees. I was hoping someone had temp gun that they could shoot their bike with after the pipe gets hot.

Scott

• Matty05

Posted May 30, 2006 - 08:57 PM

I would say don't wrap anything around the header as it makes it heat up more.

Get a proper header guard or make one that doesn't touch the header.
350*f protection is not enough.

• ADVnaut

Posted May 30, 2006 - 09:14 PM

Hey Matty, where you been man? You've been gone a month. I'm talking about putting a ring around the silencer just before the rivets and screws. Basically a rash guard for the can so when I drop it on the pavement I only have a scarred up tube. Still blingin can. Thanks. I'm not worried so much about the header.

This guy at APA is a good dude. I don't want to rip him off but this is what I am talking about. I got my hands on some good heat resistant stuff or I would buy his. I may still. Like I said he is a good dude and does a lot for the Supermoto community.
http://item.express....cmdZExpressItem

• theclone

Posted May 31, 2006 - 06:37 AM

The pipe can get at least 1500 degrees F

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ADVnaut

Posted May 31, 2006 - 10:49 AM

I could see the header getting close to those temps, but I don't think the silencer next to the exhaust tip will get that hot. That's the area I am referring to.

• nitronaf

Posted May 31, 2006 - 11:18 AM

i found out it can get VERY hot
i once went for a supermoto around my favourite mountain
got to the top and dismounted to have a cigerette
i forgot my lighter
<burning of my leg flash back happens>
restart wr and light cigerette with header pipe
hows that for hot!

• Numskull

Posted May 31, 2006 - 04:43 PM

that little ring has just made my day :D :prof: :prof: :bonk: :lol:

I dont think the silencer gets much over 300 but yea the titanium header :applause:

• Matty05

Posted June 01, 2006 - 03:07 AM

Hey Matty, where you been man? You've been gone a month.

On holidays for a month........

I'm talking about putting a ring around the silencer just before the rivets and screws. Basically a rash guard for the can so when I drop it on the pavement I only have a scarred up tube. Still blingin can. Thanks. I'm not worried so much about the header.

OK. I got you now. The muffler doesn't really get that hot.

For what you are saying, I wouldn't even bother. If that ring did touch the pavement, kiss your exhaust good bye.

The sideplate will stop your muffler from getting scratched, if it doesn't, you got bigger problems to worry about.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.