What is the trick....

20 replies to this topic
  • johnnyjeep

Posted May 30, 2006 - 04:53 PM

I just got one of those stands to put my bike on while I work on it and WOW is it tough to get the bike up there. What is the trick? There has got to be an easy way, too many people use these things. Thanks

John in Vegas

• MountainMax

Posted May 30, 2006 - 05:28 PM

Funny, I just bought one too, it barely fits under the engine and it won't lift the back tire off the ground more then 1mm, lol I think I may have to modify it...... you may have to do the same (bought mine on sale at Canadian tire)

• Indy_WR450

Posted May 30, 2006 - 05:31 PM

lift the rear of the bike with one hand in the rear number plate slot and the rest of the weight against your right thigh. Lever her up onto the stand using your thigh as a pivot point for the bike. :applause:

• bcs

Posted May 30, 2006 - 08:44 PM

lift the rear of the bike with one hand in the rear number plate slot and the rest of the weight against your right thigh. Lever her up onto the stand using your thigh as a pivot point for the bike. :applause:

Sounds like a recipe for a bad back strain...
That's why I bought the Craftsman motorcycle jack (on sale again this weekend for $69)...figure I will avoid that much in doctor bills or pain killers.

I read in Dirt Bike many years ago this tip: turn the bars all the way to the right, stand in front of the bike, grab the bottom of the left side fork with your left hand and grab the left (clutch) hand grip with your right hand. From this position, you can keep your back straight, lift the front end pretty high, manuever the bike by rolling on the rear wheel, and put it down on the stand. It works.

• PfM

Posted May 30, 2006 - 09:00 PM

It should be height adjustable - the leverage varies throught the levers travel.
Play with different heights until you can easily put it up with one foot.

I think mine just fits under the bike when in the down position. I seem to remember it being really difficult when I had a couple of inches clearance.

Cheers

• Matty05

Posted May 30, 2006 - 09:09 PM

I just got one of those stands to put my bike on while I work on it and WOW is it tough to get the bike up there. What is the trick? There has got to be an easy way, too many people use these things. Thanks

John in Vegas

the trick is that most people that have this type of stand have 2 strokes that weigh ~60lbs less than the WR450.

I have one of these stands from my old yz250 and Indy's method is what I use.

Buy or build a new stand that has the arm that raises the bike when you stand on it.

• johnnyjeep

Posted May 30, 2006 - 10:11 PM

Thanks a lot. I guess I will be buying a jack type stand. I will give the lifting from the fron a try, but Ill probably just use this one for the RM. Oh well, it sounded like a good idea at the time.

John in Vegas

• Tsk350

Posted May 30, 2006 - 10:24 PM

On my WR I just put the kick stand down and pull the bike toward me pivoting on the kickstand which raises the rear wheel off the ground and with the other hand I place my stand under it and then just let it ease on the stand, its easy.

• yaugh1

Posted May 30, 2006 - 10:25 PM

while on the left side use the right side part of sub frame (top part), left bottom part of subframe and the front tire as the pivot point. angle the stand so when you lift and take a step backward, the stand fits exactly where it should. you should only have to move the bike about 8 inches total.

• ARin

Posted May 31, 2006 - 12:11 AM

On my WR I just put the kick stand down and pull the bike toward me pivoting on the kickstand which raises the rear wheel off the ground and with the other hand I place my stand under it and then just let it ease on the stand, its easy.

ding ding ding! we have a winner.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • odonnks

Posted May 31, 2006 - 02:08 AM

These work great !!
Made of Al and adjustable.

http://www.monkeybut...iew_product=562

• byggd

Posted May 31, 2006 - 03:37 AM

These work great !!
Made of Al and adjustable.

http://www.monkeybut...iew_product=562

That's the type of stand I bought. Got it off ebay for $45 with shipping :applause:

• nitronaf

Posted May 31, 2006 - 11:15 AM

doh i bought a non adjustable lift stand
motards are so short :applause:
i shoulda bought one of those dang it

• Numskull

Posted May 31, 2006 - 05:04 PM

I want to build one at work, but I cant seem to think of the design. I need to rebuild my forks this weekend but dont have a stand. Really dont feel like spending a bill on a dang stand. :applause:

Any engineers have a drawing handing for lift stand :D

• MountainMax

Posted May 31, 2006 - 05:23 PM

I know it's not what you need to see but here is a pic of my bike up on my stand

Posted Image

• nitronaf

Posted May 31, 2006 - 11:29 PM

I want to build one at work, but I cant seem to think of the design. I need to rebuild my forks this weekend but dont have a stand. Really dont feel like spending a bill on a dang stand. :applause:

Any engineers have a drawing handing for lift stand :D

back in my ttr350 days i used to use an upside down bucket :prof:
worked good until u acidently kicked it :prof:

• jaggley

Posted June 01, 2006 - 02:15 AM

puss

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 01, 2006 - 05:45 AM

I ride alot of pack and carry stuff where lifting the rear end (and front) is mandatory alot of the times. Lifting the bike up on a stand is something you should be able to do if you are gonna be out riding the bike :prof:

Having said that, I use the type of stand that has foot lever that raises the bike with one push. It is made by moose and is all aluminum, works OK I've had it for years but the new hydraulic ones that scissor lift the bike 3' + are the cats meow. I don't have a pic but my buddy has one and they are saweeeeet :applause:

The low budget workstand consists of a milk crate and 2 to 4 pieces of wood 4X4 :D It works great........

• byggd

Posted June 01, 2006 - 06:11 AM

I know it's not what you need to see but here is a pic of my bike up on my stand

Posted Image

Doesn't that thing get in the way when trying to work on your bike? :applause:

• The_Missile

Posted June 01, 2006 - 06:13 AM

what he said.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.