XR 650L - Electrical problems - Nothing with Key but will compression start.

7 replies to this topic
  • TahomaTom

Posted May 30, 2006 - 02:30 PM

Help. :applause:

I went riding yesterday and when I got back the Electrical wont work.I took it up the McKinney/ Rubicon trail from tahoe so it was pretty bumpy but I did not crash or anything. I actually did not get to far because of all the snow.

The bike will compression start and the lights come on etc but the electrical does nothing when I turn the key. I checked the battery connection and it is all good. Lights horn and everything work once started.

Before I go home from work today and take a look does anybody have any suggestions???

• edssco

Posted May 31, 2006 - 06:16 AM

Do the Lights horn and everything work before push starting ,
sounds to easy but maybe bad battery ?

• mikefish

Posted May 31, 2006 - 07:10 AM

Stupid Hondas & their safety switches were a problem until I just removed them all. You have a clutch safety switch, a kickstand safety switch & a neutral safety switch. Probably some more I can't remember right now but I had a few similar problems getting it to start.

Simply bypass them & remove them & chuck them in the nearest dumpster! :applause:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 31, 2006 - 07:42 AM

Stupid Hondas & their safety switches were a problem until I just removed them all. You have a clutch safety switch, a kickstand safety switch & a neutral safety switch. Probably some more I can't remember right now but I had a few similar problems getting it to start.

Simply bypass them & remove them & chuck them in the nearest dumpster! :applause:

Easiest way to temp. bypass ALL the safeties is to take both clutch-switch wires, and ground them both.

Top bypass everything, its not enough to just connect them together.

Its a pain to wade through the schem to see why this is, and I keep saying I'm going to produce a simplified schematic of the safty circuit. Just gotts sit down and do it...

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • churchman2003c

Posted May 31, 2006 - 10:43 AM

Dave,
A simple schematic would be great. I keep thinking that the only thing that I don't trust on my L are those safety switches.

• scapegoat

Posted May 31, 2006 - 11:37 AM

Fuses? in black box.

• Kinsman

Posted May 31, 2006 - 02:37 PM

I need to do something about my switches too.
About half the time, my bike won't start in gear with the clutch in. A pain if I kill it on the trail.

• TahomaTom

Posted May 31, 2006 - 02:51 PM

Once started everything works.

I checked fuses yesterday.
Kickstand is bypassed. I dont kw about the clutch.
New Battery about a month ago.

I will check the nuetral and clutch bypass tonight.

Thanks,

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.