Running Hot and Lean

8 replies to this topic
  • purcoop5

Posted May 30, 2006 - 11:29 AM

I have an 06' wr 450.It is running lean and hot.Im afraid the head pipe is going to start a fire.
Ive done most of the mods-
removed ais
jetted to 170 from 165
opened the air filter box
removed throttle stop
changed back sprocket to 51 tooth
white brothers pipe(e series).

I have not changed the fuel pin clip to the 4th clip yet.
would jetting to a 175 make it run richer?
the bike runs great and fast,just real hot (head pipe glowing in dark).
Is making the bike run richer my answer anyways or is there something else Im missing?

thanks for your time!

• MountainMax

Posted May 30, 2006 - 12:27 PM

When is it getting hot? all fuel jets that have a higher number will make it richer ( less the leak jet ) but you have to make it richer wherever in the band she gets red hot in,

• dirtr1der

Posted May 30, 2006 - 12:34 PM

The "glowing headpipe" is a feature that all WR's have, no matter what the jetting. Search this thread and you'll understand. Putting a fatter main jet in it will not cool the headpipe enough to make it stop glowing. It will still glow at idle. If you're not boiling coolant regularly and it runs strong through the powerband and starts easy, I wouldn't change a thing.

• purcoop5

Posted May 30, 2006 - 12:43 PM

thanks-

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • purcoop5

Posted May 30, 2006 - 12:45 PM

I would say 1-2 for sure (hill climbing) havent really paid attention when riding straight aways.

• dirtysouth

Posted May 30, 2006 - 02:15 PM

:applause: Yeah man I have an 05 and I used to worry bout the cigarette lighter near my leg and all. I have been puttin mile after mile on this thing though and have found that as time goes on the pipe glows a little less. Guess you could say that the pipe turns. But I have not had any troubles out of the motor due to lean heat or whatever. Matter of fact...it worked out pretty good a couple weeks ago when a smoker buddy needed a light.

• odonnks

Posted May 31, 2006 - 09:28 AM

Had mine start a fire one time.
Went to the garage one cold winter day, as always I started it under choke after I got my boots on. While getting my helmet and gloves on I smelled something burning.
Went back to the bike and found a small bon fire of a bunch of high grass and debris that balled up under the head pipe guard. Quickly killed the engine and swatted it out with my gloves.
I must say that flames under the plastic gas tank are probably a bad thing.

• Dodjy

Posted May 31, 2006 - 01:03 PM

It won't be the main jet causing it to get hot unless your on the power full time. If your pilot jet is less than a 48, try a 48. If it's the original 45, this is the cause of it. Only other reason is an air leak between the carby and cylinder. Your bike shouldn't run hot but the pipe will glow red if you idle it too long or speed is too slow.

• Numskull

Posted May 31, 2006 - 03:54 PM

Dont worry about your pipe glowing red, but like odonks said, dont start any fire with it either :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.