Rekluse clutch cause excess tranny wear???

6 replies to this topic
  • yz426rdr

Posted May 30, 2006 - 11:24 AM

Hello all,

Does anyone know if a rekluse clutch will cause more transmission wear than a normal clutch set up? If I understand it correctly, the clutch does not dissengage the transmission when you shift, so this would be the same as power shifting a machine with a regular clutch. I have a friend that wants a rekluse clutch for his quad, but he swears that not using the clutch on the stock set up will blow up his transmission. I'm saying the rekluse is just like shifting a stock quad without the clutch. So in short, I guess I'm asking if you guys feel power shifting a quad, does it cause transmission damage? I never use the clutch on my YZ426 after the start unless I want to powerslide the rear tire.

• yz426rdr

Posted May 31, 2006 - 06:13 AM

I take it everyone here uses their clutch all the time or has never had a transmission problem.

Does shifting without the clutch damage the tranny? Thoughts???

• Dano426

Posted May 31, 2006 - 07:09 AM

Does anyone know if a rekluse clutch will cause more transmission wear than a normal clutch set up? If I understand it correctly, the clutch does not dissengage the transmission when you shift, so this would be the same as power shifting a machine with a regular clutch. I have a friend that wants a rekluse clutch for his quad, but he swears that not using the clutch on the stock set up will blow up his transmission. I'm saying the rekluse is just like shifting a stock quad without the clutch. So in short, I guess I'm asking if you guys feel power shifting a quad, does it cause transmission damage? I never use the clutch on my YZ426 after the start unless I want to powerslide the rear tire.

Shifting with the Rekluse is just like you are pulling in the clutch lever. As soon as you let off the gas the motor and the rpms go down, the Rekluse disengages the clutch. In my opion the Rekluse will not cause more transmition wear then using the standard clutch. I also feel that if you power shift correctly you will not damage anything. Rev the motor let off gas and shift. I have done it for years without any problems. You say that you have power shifted on your 426, why would it be different for a quad?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • berudd

Posted May 31, 2006 - 07:50 AM

This is a variant of the "should I use the clutch when I shift?" thread that is almost as common as "what oil should I used?". LOL

It alwasy goes like this in the thread....

1. Should I use the clutch? My buddy says the tranny will explode if I don't.
2. People reply and most say they never use the clutch.
3. So say it will hurt the tranny and we will all see when our tranny explode.
4. No one ever post a thread about a tranny that exploded.

Dirtbike transmissions are of the constant mesh design which means that are designed to shift without using the transmission. I might go into gear easier in some situations if you use it but you don't have to. I usually use it on upshifts when I am WFO but that is beause I think it is faster for me not because the tranny needs. And I really just slip it and don't fully disengage it. I never use it down shift unless there is danger of stalling the engine.

And like someone else said, if you back off the gas wiht the Rekluse it disengages anyway so it is like using the clutch.

• yz426rdr

Posted May 31, 2006 - 08:36 AM

I agree with both of you, the transmission shouldn't be damaged by not using the clutch. I have done it for years, when I think about it, I may use the clutch when upshifting, but never when downshifting. And I agree, it wouldn't be any different on a quad. I'm just trying to convince my friend that using the Rekluse is the same as power shifting with a normal clutch.

I do dissagree with the comment that a Rekluse dissengages the clutch when shifting though. It is not like an automatic clutch on a machine made with an automatic clutch. On something like a XR50, the clutch is dissengaged by the shift lever, that is why they require such a long shifter throw. It first dissengages the clutch, then shifts the transmission. A Rekluse only dissengages when the rpm drops down to idle, working off centrifical forces. When shifting at speed, backing off the throttle will not drop the rpm enough to lower the centrifical forces on the balls of the clutch enough to dissengage it. So in essense, you are shifting with the clutch engaged. They recommend backing off the throttle so that it reduces the amount of pressure on the clutch, but there's no way it is dissengaged.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted May 31, 2006 - 02:52 PM

Does shifting without the clutch damage the tranny? Thoughts???

If done at the right moment, no. Generally, the last downshift coming into a corner can be done without the clutch lever, as well as the first upshift when coming out. Anything after that is putting a greater stress on the trans.

Doug

• wobblyknobby

Posted May 31, 2006 - 03:01 PM

shifting without the clutch rounds off the mesh dogs on the side of the gears which will eventually lead to a tranny that pops out of gear. the gears can also shatter :applause:

drag bike mechanics grind the dogs slightly undersquare every so often for exactly this reason. drag bikes do not use the clutch to shift.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.