First ride

10 replies to this topic
  • johnnyjeep

Posted May 29, 2006 - 09:12 PM

Well I got the bike home, installed the BD D/S kit, and got her out to the desert. I left my WR450 stock, for now, except the dealer did the throttle stop change. I was expecting a lot less power from it because of the posts I read here, but maybe thats why my mind accepted the power output so easily. The other mods will be done as soon as I have my plates in hand. I really liked it and am anticipating the other mods. That said, I am dissapointed about the way my a$$ feels today. Man is that seat as hard as it looks! The last 2 things to note is first, I dropped my new bike :applause: and scratched the left # plate a little and 2nd, my front tire was flat this morning. Oh well, hopefully Ill have enough $$ left over after paying all my bills in the morning to go get it registered and then get to work on the mods.

John in Vegas

• ARin

Posted May 29, 2006 - 09:45 PM

dont sit back on yer ass...scooch up towards the gas cap...get the weight off yer butt, and onto your inner thighs, and the footpegs. A more aggressive (correct) rider position.

lazy riding hurts yer bum.

• dbailey223

Posted May 30, 2006 - 06:40 AM

Johnny, where'd you ride in Vegas? I'm relatively new to the area and always looking for good riding spots

• MountainMax

Posted May 30, 2006 - 07:37 AM

I ordered a Guts tall/Soft seat 4 my ike as my A$$ got sore while cruising the streets ( a more comfortable position while cruising i found ) as i am not always off road or needing an agressive seating position.

• OlaGB

Posted May 30, 2006 - 09:38 AM

A little funny.. Alot of posts lately about the WR being sooo fast..

Am i the only one that had to tune it to be satisfyed?

When the bike was stock (like after free mods in usa) i felt it was just a little to slow to be riding gravel roads etc.. (almost every offroad bike is fast enough in the woods).. Now, after chaning to both hotcams, a ti powercore and some jetting, i finally feel that the bike is somehow fast!
Now the bike lifts the front end easy in 60-70mph in 4.th gear (15/50), just with a little nod in the handlebars.. Before tuning i had to try to rip it of the clamps to get it up there :applause:
But it`s still kind of gentle, and not exploding in any ways..

I`m not THAT expirienced driver, so i am suprised that so many feel that the bike is "too" fast in stock condition.. On the road, i think the stock wr was a little boring actually..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JimdogWR450

Posted May 30, 2006 - 10:11 AM

That said, I am disappointed about the way my a$$ feels today. Man is that seat as hard as it looks!

The wr seat is actually one of the softer seats.. My brother has an 05 crf and man I can hardly stand riding it just because of the seat.. Maybe you should order the tall foam and seat cover?

• johnnyjeep

Posted May 30, 2006 - 12:16 PM

I guess I need to clear some things here. I NEVER said it was too fast. I said it was faster than what I was expecting from reading the post here on stock bikes. The seat is hard and it hurt me a little, a problem I dont have with my RM250, and, i am planning on getting a softer seat, but first I need to get a keyed ignition.
I had no problems gettin it plated today.

There are lots of places here to ride. the dry lake bed out in eldorado valley(near boulder city), there is the mini dunes out by the apex turn off, if you go north on I-15, there are the logandale trails. We just went south of sloan, it was also my daughters first day on her quad so the easy dirt roads were fine.

John in Vegas

• ARin

Posted May 30, 2006 - 12:22 PM

A little funny.. Alot of posts lately about the WR being sooo fast..

Am i the only one that had to tune it to be satisfyed?

When the bike was stock (like after free mods in usa) i felt it was just a little to slow to be riding gravel roads etc.. (almost every offroad bike is fast enough in the woods).. Now, after chaning to both hotcams, a ti powercore and some jetting, i finally feel that the bike is somehow fast!
Now the bike lifts the front end easy in 60-70mph in 4.th gear (15/50), just with a little nod in the handlebars.. Before tuning i had to try to rip it of the clamps to get it up there :applause:
But it`s still kind of gentle, and not exploding in any ways..

I`m not THAT expirienced driver, so i am suprised that so many feel that the bike is "too" fast in stock condition.. On the road, i think the stock wr was a little boring actually..

on the road, any dirtbike is gonna feel a bit stale...but in the dirt, the power of the wr450 scares the shite out of me sometimes. Jump on a CRFX450 and you will know why we say the wr is so powerful. It definitely has a more aggresive feel than the hondas...and the 03/04 wr's REALLY pack a mean punch. the compression was lowered a bit in 05, and i think that gave the wr a more tame feel, albiet still very fast.

• MountainMax

Posted May 30, 2006 - 12:26 PM

Also you had the throttle screw mod done, that is a big one right there by itself, without it done you only have 1/2 throttle usage and the bike SUX!!!!!

• OlaGB

Posted May 30, 2006 - 12:47 PM

I`ve never tried any other 450 thumper than my own.. Only 2 stroke 125 and 250`s..

When i was searching for a bike, the WR seemed to me as a middle-of-the-tree powered thumper.. But i understand now that i perhaps should go and try some other bikes for comparison.. Before i got it tuned up, i regret not buying a 525 exc.. But now i dont need one anymore :applause:

• MountainMax

Posted May 30, 2006 - 04:31 PM

the WR450 is my first thumper also, I had CR125, DT125 and DT200's before, it sure is different.....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.