YZ Cam, won't start

39 replies to this topic
  • pjmetro

Posted May 30, 2006 - 05:16 PM

Thanks again everyone for your input. It looks like I've just been :applause: for the last day and a half, I have ruled out timing as the problem and I do have spark. So my next step is fuel. I have gas (and so dose the bike), the bowl is filling up but not overflowing. so the next step (on Thursday) I will check out all the jets in the carb and make sure the engine is getting fuel.

• jbrooks26

Posted May 30, 2006 - 07:07 PM

Did you try a new plug? Even if the current plug is firing, it may not be adequate to ignite the fuel air mixture. I fought a fouled plug on mine right after the swap to Hotcams. If you are certain that the timing is set properly, and the bike ran before then toss a new plug in there before you pull all your hair out trying to find a problem that is not there. It will be good to rule out the plug anyway. Hope this helps.

Josh

• nitronaf

Posted May 31, 2006 - 04:29 PM

wats the progress so far dude?

• pjmetro

Posted June 01, 2006 - 12:27 PM

Still not starting,

Here is where I'm at,
1. timing is good, stock cams on stock marks
2. I have good spark and a new fresh plug
3. Carburetor is good (I think)
Jets are all clean
Accelerator pump is good
Air cut Valve is good
All springs and O-rings in place
4. Fuel shots out of accelerator with the twist
5. I have vacuum at back of carb when trying to start.
6. Air moving out of exhaust
7. When I pull the plug it is dry
8. turning over with no plug , I can't smell any fuel.

Somebody please tell were I'm going wrong, or what I'm missing?

• dez4ever

Posted June 01, 2006 - 02:50 PM

Still not starting,

Here is where I'm at,
1. timing is good, stock cams on stock marks
2. I have good spark and a new fresh plug
3. Carburetor is good (I think)
Jets are all clean
Accelerator pump is good
Air cut Valve is good
All springs and O-rings in place
4. Fuel shots out of accelerator with the twist
5. I have vacuum at back of carb when trying to start.
6. Air moving out of exhaust
7. When I pull the plug it is dry
8. turning over with no plug , I can't smell any fuel.

Somebody please tell were I'm going wrong, or what I'm missing?

Not that it was a problem before but if you have a buddy with the same bike you might want to see if you could try his coil. I had a similar problem with my 04' and it turned out to be the coil. Looked like it had spark and everything but not enough to make it run. Replaced the coil and she ran like a champ.

• CRFThumper

Posted June 01, 2006 - 03:30 PM

Did you fool with the intake valves any?If you are saying that you have fuel and it squirts but when you pull the plug it's dry that is strange!

• pjmetro

Posted June 01, 2006 - 04:09 PM

Unfortunately my neighbor was going to buy a WR last month, and I could of tried the coil form that to check, but he went and got orange bike instead. so my buddy is taking my coil back to his house to check it right now. As far as the intake valves, no I didn't mess with them. I did have to remove the intake cam to pull the head so I could switch out my broken case, but didn't touch the valves. The plug does have a little moisture on it.

• pjmetro

Posted June 01, 2006 - 04:18 PM

I just heard from my buddy. The coil is supposed to be between .08 and .1 Ohms, and the most he can get testing it is .003 Ohms. Sounds like that could be it.

• jbrooks26

Posted June 01, 2006 - 04:23 PM

I agree, from those readings it sounds like your coil is toast. Let us know for sure when you get a new one though.

Josh

• dez4ever

Posted June 01, 2006 - 04:28 PM

I just heard from my buddy. The coil is supposed to be between .08 and .1 Ohms, and the most he can get testing it is .003 Ohms. Sounds like that could be it.

That's pretty much how mine tested. It was off just a little but enough to not work right. I picked mine up at Yamaha for about $75.00...if I remember correctly. I would look at a couple different dealers because I found a pretty big difference in price from one to another.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jbrooks26

Posted June 01, 2006 - 04:33 PM

That's pretty much how mine tested. It was off just a little but enough to not work right. I picked mine up at Yamaha for about $75.00...if I remember correctly. I would look at a couple different dealers because I found a pretty big difference in price from one to another.

Try the TT OEM store. Their customer service is head over heals better than I ever got an any dealer. :D :applause:

• pjmetro

Posted June 01, 2006 - 05:00 PM

Thanks, I just ordered one from TT OEM $46 plus shipping. I will let you all know when I get it running, and then I will put my goodies(JD jets, and YZ ex cam) back on.

dez4ever, :applause: Thanks for bringing up the coil, I was at complete :D brain lock trying to find the problem.

Paul

• Matty05

Posted June 02, 2006 - 05:19 AM

I have YZ cam's in my 05 WR450. i just lined the marks up on the head and it fired right up with the electric start. I did rejet the carb to a 170 main, and raised the needle one clip.

How far off were your valve clearances?

• PBDBLUE

Posted June 02, 2006 - 05:38 AM

I'm not saying that your coil is not bad but you cannot read that low of a resistance accurately with a regular DVM. Anything below an ohm requires a special 4-wire ohmmeter to measure accurately. It could be that the coil is bad but the readings you got are not accurate and really don't tell you much.

• pjmetro

Posted June 02, 2006 - 08:13 AM

I know it hard to get a good reading at that low of an ohm. He had reading that were all over the place, but the only consistency was multiple reading at .003 Ohms. He did follow up with doing a reading on his sons coil (03 YZ450), Same meter ran .1 Ohms every time. Which brings up a new question, will the coil of his 03 YZ450(5TA-82310-00-00) work on my 05 WR450(5TA-82310-10-00)? I think the only difference is color (gray vs black).

• StreetbikePimp

Posted June 02, 2006 - 10:16 AM

....will the coil of his 03 YZ450(5TA-82310-00-00) work on my 05 WR450(5TA-82310-10-00)? I think the only difference is color (gray vs black).

It might work. I used the coil off of a 05 YZ 250F to trouble shoot a problem I was having with my 03 WR450. It worked well enough to lead me to believe that the coil on the 03 had gone bad. Then I end up ordering a coil for a 03 YZ450 because the WR coil was on back-order. Bike has ran fine for the last 2 years. :applause:

• dez4ever

Posted June 08, 2006 - 02:37 PM

Thanks, I just ordered one from TT OEM $46 plus shipping. I will let you all know when I get it running, and then I will put my goodies(JD jets, and YZ ex cam) back on.

dez4ever, :applause: Thanks for bringing up the coil, I was at complete :D brain lock trying to find the problem.

Paul

I hope the coil fixed your problem...as far as replacing things it's a pretty cheap place to start.

So did you get your bike running yet? I'm curious how the YZ cam changed the power.

Let us know???

• pjmetro

Posted June 08, 2006 - 07:58 PM

Still waiting for the coil, it should be here tomorrow. But I'm leaving in the morning and won't be back tell next week. I will let you know as soon as I get it running, Then off to Big Bear or Silverwood, "I wona ride" :applause: .

• pjmetro

Posted June 16, 2006 - 01:18 PM

I put the new coil on, still won't start. :excuseme: I have checked every thing at least three times (more like ten plus times). The timing is right on the marks, and I have good spark. I'm getting fuel, and I have compression. I have the stock cam back on, the stock jet and needle back in the carb. I thought I would go back to all stock get it running and then add the YZ cam and JD jets. I know it's something stupid.
This all started after a complete engine rebuild. I had to get a new case after putting a hole in the case when I throw a chain. And no I didn't end up with any leftover parts.
Is it possible that this has something to do with the AIS removal? I did the removal while I had the engine out.

• pjmetro

Posted June 19, 2006 - 05:50 PM

:excuseme: :busted: :bonk: :bonk:
I knew it had to be something stupid, and it was. The only part of the engine that I didn't rebuild or work on, the valves. My far right intake valve had no clearance at all. So it pulled the intake cam and the valve cup and spacer. I didn't find anything, but when I put it back together I had .125 mm clearance and she started almost right up. Tomorrow I will put the YZ ex cam back in, and jet it. Thank you all for your help. Paul

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.