Off brand..still a bike question...

5 replies to this topic
  • slepe67

Posted May 28, 2006 - 09:10 AM

I came here cuz Iv'e gotten some great advice in the past regarding my CRF450R and XR600R. Before you get mad and tell me to search, read this. I just need some more inputs,& tell me if I'm doing anything wrong. I have a 1980 Harley Wide Glide, and just swapped out brake rotors to a better aftermarket setup (GMA). The back brake was a snap, 30 minutes total from removal to bleeding. The front...I pump the front brake handle literally 100 times,(there is ZERO PRESSURE on it), crack the bleeder valve, and a tiny bit of fluid comes out. I have repeated this process and the same thing every time. Cap on/off/tight/loose. No change. I have a "one-man-bleeder" setup from Sears, it worked for the back. I tried a syringe injection for the front, I would crack the valve, and press hard, the fluid would not go in. The pressure popped the hose of the valve and got fluid all over the friggin place. I read in here that a dude just left the vavles open, and after a while fluid started bubbling out, then he just bled them normally. I have been working this for about 5 hours, and I'm about to go nuclear. Oh, the brakes DID work awesome BEFORE I went and jacked things up..thanks fellas... :applause:

• Jon-D

Posted May 28, 2006 - 06:49 PM

I am not familiar with Harley's, but hopefully this might help. On some of the older KTMs the banjo bolt holes would not allow air to escape while bleeding the brakes. I took mine out and drilled another set of holes in them and it solved the problem. Look for high spots in the system that can trap air and check out your banjo bolts to make sure that they promote proper bleeding.

• roadcam

Posted May 28, 2006 - 09:03 PM

remove the brake caliper, and hold it high in the air, get the air bubble towards the top, then use your bleeder tool , ... whats really needed with them, is a power vacuum bleeder ... :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slepe67

Posted May 29, 2006 - 02:21 PM

I heard that raising the caliper might work elsewhere. Guess I'll try it. As for the power bleeder....

• jamestoo

Posted May 29, 2006 - 05:22 PM

also tap the line with a screwdriver to move the trapped air clinging to the inside of the lines

• slepe67

Posted May 30, 2006 - 11:10 AM

I called GMA Brakes, the dude said that sometimes dual discs are a bugger, and often they have to get 2 guys with syringes to attack the system. And, sometimes, you can fill the master cylinder, crack the bleeder valve, and wait a few hours for gravity to do it for you. THen, all you do is bleed as normal...will see, hate to take it anywhere to pay $100 an hour....thanks for all the inputs.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.