Wind turbulence with cut front fender?

9 replies to this topic
  • XR 650

Posted May 28, 2006 - 04:21 AM

I'm thinking of cutting my front fender. I was wondering how it will affect it going down the highway? I ride to work alot up the interstate.

Thanks

• WayCrazy

Posted May 28, 2006 - 04:27 AM

Depends on where and how you cut it. But i wouldnt think it should be all that bad.

• roadcam

Posted May 28, 2006 - 07:30 AM

it works fine, as in the photo, I trimmed about 5" off my front, and tapered the tip, drilled four large holes at rear for more airflow to cylinder ... :applause:
http://i15.photobuck...am/5262d86d.jpg

• Dual_Dog

Posted May 28, 2006 - 07:36 AM

If it's the 650L, then cutting 3" - 5" off the front will help by reducing drag, plus it gets rid of that oversized duck bill that ends up flappin' in the breeze at high speeds. :D

While you're at it, drill/cut some air holes/vents at the back. Helps to channel air to the head of the XRL's air-cooled motor. Highly recommended if you've got an aftermarket tank.

Lot's of guys, including me, have done the trimming & venting with great results... :applause: Check out the TT Garage for photos of this mod done by more than a few XRL riders.

• roadcam

Posted May 28, 2006 - 05:22 PM

yeah, holes like these: http://i15.photobuck...am/eaf4ff6c.jpg
:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wheelnut46

Posted May 28, 2006 - 05:29 PM

I put a UFO fender for a XR400 on mine. I cut slots in the back similar to the ones on a DR650 fender. The XR400 fender fits perfectly and it looks way better than stock fender.

• xr500_89

Posted May 28, 2006 - 05:32 PM

i got a ufo front fenger on mine and its already got monster slots cut in it

• wr450fyamaha

Posted May 28, 2006 - 06:14 PM

I have seen fenders with ports in the back that you can open and close.....

• XR 650

Posted May 29, 2006 - 03:57 AM

I cut 2 1/2" off yesterday. It took the droop look out of it. Looks great. Doesn't flop around as much at higher speeds.

I was worried about getting mud on the cylinder fins by cutting to big of holes?? I ride alot off-road (when not riding to work), so I cut 1/4" holes in the back of the fender. They aren't noticable, but should help some.

Thanks

• Dual_Dog

Posted May 29, 2006 - 06:37 AM

You can also put hardware cloth (screen) over the holes to help keep the larger projectiles from pelting the head. I used 1/4" x 1/4" mesh & zip-tied it on the inside & rear of the fender over the (8) 7/8" holes I drilled in mine. These are hard to see in the photo in the "garage."

Other guys have riveted, bolted & strapped theirs on. Many different ways to achieve the same results. :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  181 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.