chain advice needed please

6 replies to this topic
  • snowboardstylee

Posted May 27, 2006 - 08:42 PM

IM sure gray racer can tackle this one .
but anyone please let me know ..

I was putting on a new chain today . DID 520 gold X ring.

and i think i cut it one link too short. didnt have the old chain to
compare compare it to.

a lot of bikes i see the axle is way towards the back of the adjustment
almost as far back as it can go. some are middle of adjustment .
mine is towards the front of the swingarm .. im sure the chain will stretch a little after a couple rides. but does an inch either forward or backwards make a difference . I have no idea what that manual says i dont have one. and i dont want to get a RTFM repost.

Posted May 27, 2006 - 08:58 PM

yeah...does sound like one for Grayracer.

• SureBlue

Posted May 27, 2006 - 10:37 PM

IM sure gray racer can tackle this one .
but anyone please let me know ..

I was putting on a new chain today . DID 520 gold X ring.

and i think i cut it one link too short. didnt have the old chain to
compare compare it to.

a lot of bikes i see the axle is way towards the back of the adjustment
almost as far back as it can go. some are middle of adjustment .
mine is towards the front of the swingarm .. im sure the chain will stretch a little after a couple rides. but does an inch either forward or backwards make a difference . I have no idea what that manual says i dont have one. and i dont want to get a RTFM repost.

You can always put a second master link. Sure, you then have two weak spots, but a master link has never failed on me. If you put the clip type, just check the clips frequently, as x-ring chains are wider than standard chains and the clip gets eaten by the rear guide. If you put the rivet master link, it is as good as a solid chain. My DID ERT non-o-ring chain has not eaten up the clip visibly yet in 18 hours, but I've seen clips thin like a leaf.
When the axle is towards front, the bike turns a bit better, but may feel more unstable at speed, although Yamaha is not known to give headshakes (like KTMs). Axle towards back means better stability, but it really has no big difference.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • snowboardstylee

Posted May 27, 2006 - 10:57 PM

Yeha i have a rivit master link. and the x ring chain is barely barely any wider than the stock non oring chain so i dont see any big deal and never heard anyone have problems with them.

the stock clip type master snapped in half the minute i tried to remove it LOL
I thought about another master to get a little longer out of it. but i didnt want two masters in it. i think i will be oK and turning a little better will be nice . and we will see how it handles. i think ill be ok .

• SureBlue

Posted May 27, 2006 - 11:08 PM

If you break the clip mounting or dismounting it, you perhaps are doing it wrong.
Installing the clip Posted Image
Removing the clip
Posted Image

• snowboardstylee

Posted May 27, 2006 - 11:09 PM

No i was removing the stock old clip. I didnt care that it broke. my new chain has a rivit master link . its good to go .

• SureBlue

Posted May 27, 2006 - 11:11 PM

Bueno.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.