dies when put in gear

14 replies to this topic
  • voltron

Posted May 27, 2006 - 10:59 AM

i did a valve adjustment on a 93 xr650l and now it idles perfect but when i put it in gear it shuts off, like a kickstand cut off would do. please help.

• pigryder

Posted May 27, 2006 - 11:02 AM

have you checked the kickstand safety switch? that sounds like it could be it

• voltron

Posted May 27, 2006 - 11:19 AM

that switch was bypassed before i bought it

• xr500_89

Posted May 27, 2006 - 01:57 PM

are you sure your giving it enough throttel when you put it into gear

• Maniak

Posted May 27, 2006 - 02:55 PM

I would verify the kick stand switch is bypassed,check to see you didn't unplug any wires in the loom when you did your valve adjust, and make sure your clutch is adjusted correctly.

• motomonte

Posted May 28, 2006 - 12:41 PM

Check the clutch adjustment....

• Dual_Dog

Posted May 28, 2006 - 01:51 PM

i did a valve adjustment on a 93 xr650l and now it idles perfect but when i put it in gear it shuts off, like a kickstand cut off would do. please help.

Time to bypass the safetys, all of them. You can bypass only the clutch switch at the handlebar by grounding out both wires, or by connecting them together, as a starting point for troubleshooting. :applause:

Me? I bypassed all of them, neutral, kickstand & clutch by connecting the (proper) light green & light green & white striped wires together located under the seat. I think I even posted another member's pic that helped me here or on 4strokes.com.

I don't like those Highway Institute safetys just for the fact the switches can fail as you've described & in a location far away from assistance. Plus, I want to be able to start my bike in gear, with the kickstand down & with the clutch out, or with any combination of the above, especially when riding off-road. :D

Good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pigryder

Posted May 28, 2006 - 07:00 PM

hey Dual Dog whats this wire splicing?? geen, white wires?? tell me more??

• motomonte

Posted May 28, 2006 - 07:38 PM

What I meant is that sometimes even with your clutch lever fully pressed in?when you rev it still you can feel the bike go fwd so if you're somewhere near iddle the drag could make it stall,just a guess but still...anyways let us know

• isaac338

Posted May 28, 2006 - 08:48 PM

check your clutch adjustment, and for warped plates or a notched basket.

• Dual_Dog

Posted May 29, 2006 - 06:29 AM

hey Dual Dog whats this wire splicing?? geen, white wires?? tell me more??

This is the best way to bypass ALL safetys. You can eliminate all the side stand electrical wiring & switch also, but I left mine in place since the idiot light still comes as reminder to (help) keep you from tripod-ding if for some idiotic reason you forget retract the kickstand... :prof:

Posted Image

I can't take credit for this one. Another member over at xrlug@yahoo.com called sixpepper posted this photo over there a long time ago. I just copied it & have been reposting it for other L riders since it's a frequently asked about mod. :applause:

There are no instructions but if you do it right you can undo this & return the wires to their orginal configuration, mean no cutting is necessary. Look for the connector under the seat, locate the wires & connect them together. That's it. :D

Don't ask me how it works, I only know it does. :prof:

• xr500_89

Posted May 29, 2006 - 07:08 AM

i know how it works all it does is jump the wires so it completes the circuit so it is like the switch is operating

• wr450fyamaha

Posted May 29, 2006 - 11:05 AM

Did you just put a new clutch in it? If not, it sounds like your adjustment is off....

• Dual_Dog

Posted May 29, 2006 - 11:13 AM

i know how it works all it does is jump the wires so it completes the circuit so it is like the switch is operating

I think we got the "why" already figured out. You can do the why on all the individual safetys, one by one, on the XRL. This particular combo takes care of them all, one time. :applause:

How it bypasses all of them is another matter. If you hadn't seen the photo, you'd need to study the schematic to figure out exactly which wires to connect without leaving any of the other circuits open & hope you got it right. This way someone else did that for you...

• pigryder

Posted May 30, 2006 - 10:09 AM

hey dual dog thanks man :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.