Parts Unlimited wheel bearings

10 replies to this topic
  • Goosedog

Posted May 27, 2006 - 04:55 AM

Last fall I changed out my front wheel bearings on my '02 YZ with Parts Unlimiteds' own brand of bearing, they are shot already with maybe 60hrs on them. I did a little checking only to find they're made in China. This isn't a PU slam thread because they cetainly have a great distribution setup, just don't waste your time on their stuff. I put the OEM bearings in last night. :ride:

• Matt96xr6

Posted May 27, 2006 - 08:09 AM

This is just a funny post. All the bearings are made in the same place. Most are timken or similar brand and all offshore made.

A bearing is only as good as the installer! You have to remove the seals on them and PACK them with grease.

• RCannon

Posted May 27, 2006 - 08:39 AM

Made in china does make a person wonder....But I agree. Without extra grease they dont stand a chance. The bearings, sealed or not, are almost dry from the factory.

• Goosedog

Posted May 27, 2006 - 03:36 PM

Pu brand says made in China, Yamaha OEM says made in Japan. That's enuf for me to go on, and yes I repacked and installed properly both times.

• 642MX

Posted May 27, 2006 - 07:25 PM

I would say a bearing is a bearing. I doubt there was a quality defect in the PU bearings. Your accelerated bearing wear was probably a combination of a lack of grease, dust and dirt, and installation. All of which is not PU (or the bearing maunfactures) fault.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FriscoKLR

Posted May 27, 2006 - 11:01 PM

Would assume there's a huge difference between a bearing made in Japan and China. Japan's made the best steel and has had some of the best manufacturing technology in the world for the last thirty years. China is a mass producer of junk.

• Goosedog

Posted May 28, 2006 - 04:52 AM

Would assume there's a huge difference between a bearing made in Japan and China. Japan's made the best steel and has had some of the best manufacturing technology in the world for the last thirty years. China is a mass producer of junk.

:prof: :applause: :D My point exactly.

• feti

Posted May 28, 2006 - 05:09 AM

Oh please. China makes the best Happy Meal toys ever. I see no problems!

• Ga426owner

Posted May 28, 2006 - 08:10 AM

Last fall I changed out my front wheel bearings on my '02 YZ with Parts Unlimiteds' own brand of bearing, they are shot already with maybe 60hrs on them. I did a little checking only to find they're made in China. This isn't a PU slam thread because they cetainly have a great distribution setup, just don't waste your time on their stuff. I put the OEM bearings in last night. :applause:

60hrs is a long time for bearing life - I maintain and regrease very regular every 5-10hrs, and mine last typically 35-45 hrs...front wheel and steering bearings are notorious for high wear.. :D
I have been using Pivotworks and oem....wear is the same

• yamadoggy

Posted May 28, 2006 - 08:43 AM

60hrs is a long time for bearing life - I maintain and regrease very regular every 5-10hrs, and mine last typically 35-45 hrs...front wheel and steering bearings are notorious for high wear.. :applause:
I have been using Pivotworks and oem....wear is the same

&%$#@!? You regrease wheel bearings every five hours???? I call BS. And I know I'm gunna sound like a neglector, but I have done a full season and a half of desert racing, plus tons of trail riding with factory bearings and I have'nt touched 'em once... They still feel great. Jason
By the way, desert races are four hours long, 14 races in the season, so atleast 84 hours (not counting twice aweek trail rides)

• Ga426owner

Posted May 28, 2006 - 04:56 PM

&%$#@!? You regrease wheel bearings every five hours???? I call BS. And I know I'm gunna sound like a neglector, but I have done a full season and a half of desert racing, plus tons of trail riding with factory bearings and I have'nt touched 'em once... They still feel great. Jason
By the way, desert races are four hours long, 14 races in the season, so atleast 84 hours (not counting twice aweek trail rides)

BS??? Call it what you want......come on over to my garage I will show you how to correctly pack bearings....
BTW...you may want to check yours....I think you will be surprised, if not you are lucky.. :applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.