Chain Noise YZ426...

8 replies to this topic
  • §ean

Posted May 26, 2006 - 11:30 AM

Hey, this really isn't a big deal but...Do your guy's chains make a lot of noise when you ride? Like clanking noise. I tightened the slack on the chain, but whenever I twist the throttle hard at first it always clanks around. Is this normal? I don't know if I should tighten it anymore in fear of it breaking or messing up the engine.... :ride:

• 2wheels-drz

Posted May 26, 2006 - 12:40 PM

just set your chain slack so it has 1.6" to 2" of movement in the bottom mid point.

• FZ1426

Posted May 26, 2006 - 04:40 PM

It's normal. Learn to ignore it or it'll drive you crazy...O ring chains make less slap/noise.

• bullpen58

Posted May 26, 2006 - 05:42 PM

same thing i said in another post, maybe it's your chain. if it's the stock chain, throw it away IMMEDIATELY. those things are garbage and you can tighten it up, go ride 20 feet, and it's loose again.

get yourself a high quality o-ring or x-ring chain (but you'll want to replace the sprockets at the same time to avoid prematurely wearing out your new $100 chain). this should help immensely with the chain noise.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fixxor

Posted May 26, 2006 - 05:44 PM

I got a regina o-ring chain on mine, still makes noise but my guides are really warn down also. It kinda bothers me cause i think theres something wrong but i try to ignore it as best i can.

• Blue4Ever

Posted May 26, 2006 - 06:12 PM

You may want to check the inside of your subframe between the rollers, if the chain is on the loose side it may slap the subframe on decel.

• §ean

Posted May 30, 2006 - 08:31 AM

Ok, I'll try tightening my chain a little bit more (it's at 2 inches) and see what happens. I will look into investing into a better chain, too. Thanks!

• Yamaguy4Life

Posted May 30, 2006 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for the post. Mine does this all the time. It drives me nuts. I always think of my bike as a piece of high technology, but I guess that this is a clank that we have to live with. I have everything adjusted and it still clanks. I guess that I'll just have to wear stronger ear plugs.

• yogist

Posted May 30, 2006 - 06:54 PM

Mine does this also...It always makes me thing the trannies going, or something bad is happenin....Bike runs great....New sprockets, chain and rub plate are in order..!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.