Warning - '06 owners, check your swingarm!

52 replies to this topic
  • Lowedog

Posted June 05, 2006 - 11:12 AM

How hard would it be to get off if I do glue it with the silicon?

Not hard at all. Just scrape off what you can and then use some type of solvent like Goo Gone. I used a piece of inner tube RTV'd to the swing arm under the slider on my '03 WR 450 and put 5000 miles on it and never had a problem. :applause: Ran the stock chain and sprockets that whole time and they barely showed any wear when I sold it a month ago.

I did the same fix to my YZ and won't worry a bit. :D

-Lowedog

• Way Fast Whitey

Posted June 05, 2006 - 01:24 PM

hey gray, is that your site?

BTW great write up :applause:

• barch88

Posted June 06, 2006 - 06:31 AM

Alright, so all I have to do is put some silicon on bottom of the chain slider, screw it down to swingarm, and I will be fine with this issue?

• Ga426owner

Posted June 06, 2006 - 07:18 AM

I must be missing something as mine does not have this wear - :applause:
Is there a possibility that a wider or oring chain could be the culprit? or too much free play/ or not enough in the chain? I understand the movement in the chainslider can cause this - dirt underneath can be abrasive.
I checked my 03 also and it does not have this wear either....I just swapped out chain sliders on it...

• grayracer513

Posted June 06, 2006 - 10:01 AM

I've heard people from parts of the Southeast say the same thing before, and I don't know what to make of it exactly except to assume that the soil in the area or the specific kind of riding done may have some bearing on whether or how much wear occurs under the slider. The width of the chain should be immaterial, but certainly, running more slack in it would be a contributor. If yours has no wear, then that's a good thing, but obviously, not everyone can count on that. It's easy to avoid, though.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 06, 2006 - 01:09 PM

I've heard people from parts of the Southeast say the same thing before, and I don't know what to make of it exactly except to assume that the soil in the area or the specific kind of riding done may have some bearing on whether or how much wear occurs under the slider. The width of the chain should be immaterial, but certainly, running more slack in it would be a contributor. If yours has no wear, then that's a good thing, but obviously, not everyone can count on that. It's easy to avoid, though.

Greyracer is it prone more to sandy soil conditions? We do not have much sand here - maybe that is the culprit.....
Also thx for the tip on the Amsoil Preferred customer application......I am making my switch to Amsoil for great wholesale prices.... :applause: :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 06, 2006 - 02:08 PM

If it gets under the slider, and it's abrasive, it's a culprit. We have a lot of sand, and if not sand, DG. One's as bad as the other.

• Joe Dizzle

Posted June 06, 2006 - 03:54 PM

Honda

• blue450frider

Posted August 14, 2006 - 05:30 PM

i am not sure what kind of slider to get can somebody help me out by telling me where abouts i could get one
thanks

• 02YZ426

Posted August 14, 2006 - 05:39 PM

Heres one of the best TM Designworks

• 116CJ

Posted August 15, 2006 - 04:48 AM

i havent experienced this problem i have about 15 hours on my 06. maybe it has something to do with the fact that i clean the bike after every ride or at the races after every moto. i also keep the chain adjusted. there is a small amount of wear but its just the finnish underneat where the little thing is under there but nothing like what the pictures i have seen on here. i have kept an eye on it because you guys are always complaining about it.

• barch88

Posted August 15, 2006 - 05:43 AM

i havent experienced this problem i have about 15 hours on my 06. maybe it has something to do with the fact that i clean the bike after every ride or at the races after every moto. i also keep the chain adjusted. there is a small amount of wear but its just the finnish underneat where the little thing is under there but nothing like what the pictures i have seen on here. i have kept an eye on it because you guys are always complaining about it.

I wash bike each ride, CLEAN too...better than most people (just look at my garage). I at first got this problem with the chain slider wear...but it seems it stopped after the first few hours.

• 116CJ

Posted August 15, 2006 - 06:15 AM

I wash bike each ride, CLEAN too...better than most people (just look at my garage). I at first got this problem with the chain slider wear...but it seems it stopped after the first few hours.

yup you definatly do a good job cleaning

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.