Warning - '06 owners, check your swingarm!

52 replies to this topic
  • yamahacrazy_310

Posted May 27, 2006 - 09:33 AM

MAAAAN!!!!!!! Now I have to get up and check both my bikes.

• SureBlue

Posted May 27, 2006 - 02:26 PM

Sure blue, are you running a o-ring chain or an x-ring chain becuase i agree that the o an x ring chains wear on the slider more than a none o-ring, So maybe you could try a very high tensile stregnth non o-ring i know their are some out their around 7500 max opperateing strenth but i could be wrong.

The DID ERT2 racing gold chain I now use is a strong non-o-ring chain. The chain type you use has nothing to do with this swingarm wear.
I feel so stupid knowing about this problem and still not doing anything on time.
I rode today with the TM slider and guide, they are not louder than stock. But blue color makes the bike look like a carnival bike, I should have chosen black stuff. :applause:

• cowboyona426

Posted May 27, 2006 - 08:41 PM

But blue color makes the bike look like a carnival bike, I should have chosen black stuff. :applause:

Would you mind snapping a picture or two? I'm considering buying a slide-n-guide kit and was thinking blue, but if it looks that bad maybe I'll go black.

• SureBlue

Posted May 27, 2006 - 11:01 PM

Would you mind snapping a picture or two? I'm considering buying a slide-n-guide kit and was thinking blue, but if it looks that bad maybe I'll go black.

I'll get the pics for you this evening.

• SureBlue

Posted May 28, 2006 - 11:55 AM

Here the pics, cowboy
Posted Image
Posted Image

• 01yz426

Posted May 28, 2006 - 10:12 PM

i've owned YZ's forever, and the best "fix" i've found for this problem is to simply run a high quality chain. i've always ran the piece-o-junk stock chain until the stock sprockets wore out completely and i've always had to go through many, many, many chain buffer pads in the process. additionally, i noticed that the chain ALWAYS needed adjusting. i've stripped out chain adjuster bolts so many damn times it's ridiculous.

finally, i learned that the real problem was that the chain was so crappy that it would stretch out and the extra slack in it caused it to flop around and cause excessive wear to the chain slider, chain block, and the rear shock mud flap thingy. once i put a new chain/sprocket kit on, i went through way WAAAAAAAAAY less chain sliders.

when i got my 06 yz450, i didn't even start it with the stock chain. i kept the stock sprockets for the first ride, but i immediately put a high quality x-ring chain on it. i've only adjusted the chain once since then.

could the chain be causing the problem for you too? or are you just sniveling about having to replace the chain slider once in a while? j/k. :applause:

Thats funny, in 5yrs of riding, quite often as well, I just about a month ago replaced the STOCK chain slider, STOCK chain guide/block and my frame had only minimal wear... I too ran the stock chain till she literally broke off then went through a couple Renthal R1 Works chains to what I now/did run a simple WPS Steel chain that holds up to anything with minimal stretching....

• 01yz426

Posted May 28, 2006 - 10:15 PM

The swingarm gets worn under the slider regardless what chain you use. I've used x-rings, o-rings and now using DID ERT. If you keep the correct chain slack it will beat the slider so hard that the swingarm gets eaten up. I agree it may be worse with too much slack, but running a too tight chain is going to damage finally the drive axle, bearing and oil seal.
So silicone or grayracer's wear plate is the only fix if you don't want to buy the TMslider.

How much is the TM slider? What is it made out of?

• grayracer513

Posted May 28, 2006 - 11:38 PM

It's hard "nylon" type plastic and bolts in a fixed location. The improved version has a rubber lining on the bottom to reduce the rattling caused by the chain hitting the harder material. They run about $100, IIRC.

• Goosedog

Posted May 29, 2006 - 05:16 AM

That's why I used a stainless steel shim. It's thin enough that the slider sits in virtually the exact same place it previously did, and the slider is free to move around exactly as the factory intended it to. But now, it slides over a sheet of steel, which is far harder than the swing arm, and easily replaceable if it gets worn. It absolutely solves the problem. The whole thing took an hour to do for the first time, including the pictures, and also required a trip to the metal supply house for a $4 leftover sheet of stainless. It would take twenty minutes, tops, to do it again.

I think this steel shim idea makes the best sense grayracer and I plan to do it to both my bikes but would you not put silicone between the swingarm and stainleess piece? I understand there should remain some play, as the factory intended, for the slided to move a bit but I think sealing off the worn area and bonding the shim to the SA would be helpful.

• grayracer513

Posted May 29, 2006 - 11:09 AM

... would you not put silicone between the swingarm and stainleess piece?

Yes, absolutely. If you go through the write up at the posted link, you'll see that in there, next to the third picture. It's done for the exact reason you state.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Goosedog

Posted May 29, 2006 - 04:05 PM

Yes, absolutely. If you go through the write up at the posted link, you'll see that in there, next to the third picture. It's done for the exact reason you state.

Thanks, I'm doing the mod tomorrow. :applause:

• 02YZ426

Posted May 29, 2006 - 04:56 PM

I've had my 426 since new and never had any trouble with the slider.. the original is still on there and as far as I know it hasnt caused any serious wear. Now I am trading in my 426 this Wednesday so I'm going out to see just how bad it is. I'm glad I read this post because if this is a problem then I will definatly make up a steel shim for the 06YZ450.

• 02YZ426

Posted May 29, 2006 - 07:30 PM

I went out and checked the 426 and its worn a bit.. but not excessive. I've owned this bike for 4 years now and have never noticed that before. Although it is kind of ugly looking under there, does it really matter? I mean it took 4 years to get worn in like that and it didn't cause me any grief :applause: And I cant really see how it would cause the next owner any problems either. But now that I have seen what happens under that slider I will definitely wont let it happen to the new bike.

• grayracer513

Posted May 29, 2006 - 07:35 PM

Worst case I've heard of is that they will crack in the worn areas if it's bad enough. As I said before, the rate at which the wear happens appears to be connected to the soil type where you ride.

• kid on a 426

Posted June 04, 2006 - 08:09 PM

Have you seen my Fix for the Slider Problem?

Wow awesome site. Really like the tech articles.

• barch88

Posted June 05, 2006 - 06:39 AM

I will check my 06. It's brand new, but just like Sureblue said, his wore out fast. I will put some foam under it, willl that be fine? Like double sided tape/foam?

• grayracer513

Posted June 05, 2006 - 06:50 AM

That lifts the slider up into the chain. Read my post on page 2.

• barch88

Posted June 05, 2006 - 07:31 AM

So just buy some silicon and put it on swingarm and bottom of slider?

• grayracer513

Posted June 05, 2006 - 07:35 AM

I don't recommend gluing it down. I already said that. Some do, though, and it works for them, so they say. I chose my method for the reasons I already laid out, and IMO, it's the best approach to take for a permanent fix.

• barch88

Posted June 05, 2006 - 07:41 AM

How hard would it be to get off if I do glue it with the silicon?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.