Warning - '06 owners, check your swingarm!

52 replies to this topic
  • SureBlue

Posted May 26, 2006 - 08:21 AM

The swingarm gets eaten under the chain chain slider precisely as on earlier models. I have 16 hours on my bike and installed the blue tmdesignworks slider and guide, could not believe how much the swingarm was already worn.

• grayracer513

Posted May 26, 2006 - 09:00 AM

Have you seen my Fix for the Slider Problem?

• SUnruh

Posted May 26, 2006 - 09:02 AM

sureblue,
this has been a problem since '98.
all you have to do is silicon the buffer down to the swing arm and yer done.

• SureBlue

Posted May 26, 2006 - 09:41 AM

sureblue,
this has been a problem since '98.
all you have to do is silicon the buffer down to the swing arm and yer done.

I know it has been a problem, my '04 had it too, but already at these hours of use it is unbelievable.

• SUnruh

Posted May 26, 2006 - 10:19 AM

you should have siliconed it down from hour 0.
i did on my 06.

• Reyndogg

Posted May 26, 2006 - 11:14 AM

I've never heard of this... guess ill check my bike tonight.... 40ish hrs on it. wonder how it looks. im kinda nervous lol

• cowboyona426

Posted May 26, 2006 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for posting this SureBlue... sounds like I'll be ordering another TM slider for the 06. Are the new ones less noisy than the older ones were?

• N_Boyd

Posted May 26, 2006 - 01:57 PM

I've never heard of this... guess ill check my bike tonight.... 40ish hrs on it. wonder how it looks. im kinda nervous lol

Me too... :ride:

• SureBlue

Posted May 26, 2006 - 05:00 PM

you should have siliconed it down from hour 0.
i did on my 06.

Yes, my bad :ride: I knew it but could not get the Tm parts earlier than on third try, always on backorder. And when I got them, did not install them right away. :banana:

Thanks for posting this SureBlue... sounds like I'll be ordering another TM slider for the 06. Are the new ones less noisy than the older ones were?

I don't know about the older sliders. Sounds at least like the guide gives more noise than stock. Tm claims these should be less noisy than earlier. Wait and see, will be riding again tomorrow...

• bullpen58

Posted May 26, 2006 - 05:39 PM

i've owned YZ's forever, and the best "fix" i've found for this problem is to simply run a high quality chain. i've always ran the piece-o-junk stock chain until the stock sprockets wore out completely and i've always had to go through many, many, many chain buffer pads in the process. additionally, i noticed that the chain ALWAYS needed adjusting. i've stripped out chain adjuster bolts so many damn times it's ridiculous.

finally, i learned that the real problem was that the chain was so crappy that it would stretch out and the extra slack in it caused it to flop around and cause excessive wear to the chain slider, chain block, and the rear shock mud flap thingy. once i put a new chain/sprocket kit on, i went through way WAAAAAAAAAY less chain sliders.

when i got my 06 yz450, i didn't even start it with the stock chain. i kept the stock sprockets for the first ride, but i immediately put a high quality x-ring chain on it. i've only adjusted the chain once since then.

could the chain be causing the problem for you too? or are you just sniveling about having to replace the chain slider once in a while? j/k. :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SureBlue

Posted May 26, 2006 - 05:54 PM

The swingarm gets worn under the slider regardless what chain you use. I've used x-rings, o-rings and now using DID ERT. If you keep the correct chain slack it will beat the slider so hard that the swingarm gets eaten up. I agree it may be worse with too much slack, but running a too tight chain is going to damage finally the drive axle, bearing and oil seal.
So silicone or grayracer's wear plate is the only fix if you don't want to buy the TMslider.

• yamahayz250fkid

Posted May 26, 2006 - 06:05 PM

I havent had this problem i have had my yz250f for about 1 year now and when i got it the slider was wore out but i just put a factory one on it and kept the chain adjusted and i havent wore it out yet and i ride every sunday for about 6 hours!!! Just my 2 cents

• SureBlue

Posted May 26, 2006 - 06:29 PM

The big thumpers have this problem, my 426 and old 450 had it, but my '05 YZ125 knew nothing about this...

• yamahayz250fkid

Posted May 27, 2006 - 05:35 AM

Sure blue, are you running a o-ring chain or an x-ring chain becuase i agree that the o an x ring chains wear on the slider more than a none o-ring, So maybe you could try a very high tensile stregnth non o-ring i know their are some out their around 7500 max opperateing strenth but i could be wrong.

• Goosedog

Posted May 27, 2006 - 05:39 AM

Yikes! I just went out and looked at both my YZ swingarms under the sliders, major wear. How does this happen and how does the silicon fix it? Is it a chain slap issue or an intrusive dirt issue?

• Lowedog

Posted May 27, 2006 - 07:05 AM

Motoman393 put this tech article up long ago. It explains the cause and cure for this problem very well. The piece of inner tube trick works very well and is easy. Yamaha put a piece of foam the full length under the '05 and newer WR's and I haven't looked at any with any time on them to see if it helped or not. This problem isn't limited to Yamaha's or to 4 strokes. Just about every bike I've looked at that has much time on them has this wear.

-Lowedog

• SUnruh

Posted May 27, 2006 - 07:17 AM

the problem is that yamaha thinks the chain slider buffer should move. this in turn grinds away the swingarm. yamaha does not see this as a problem. which is completely and utterly ludicrous.
all you need to do is this:
1) remove top 2 bolt holding buffer down.

2) lift buffer up as you do #3.

3a) take a clean cotton ball (or 3) and using 90% isopropyl alcohol clean the underside of the buffer and the swingarm.

3b) run a thick bead of silicon (i use permatex blue) in the exact pattern of the buffer.

4) take a 17mm (i think that is the right size) socket and put it over the hold down cup with the cup sitting on something hard. whack the socket once or twice to curl the edge so it will actually bite into the buffer.

5) put some blue loc-tite on the bolts and reinstall buffer on top of fresh silicon bead.

6) tell yamaha that the buffer hold down is crap in your new bike report.

7) after 5 years plus, complain that original buffer is still good and you have no problems. my 01 is this way.

• grayracer513

Posted May 27, 2006 - 07:35 AM

Yikes! I just went out and looked at both my YZ swingarms under the sliders, major wear. How does this happen and how does the silicon fix it? Is it a chain slap issue or an intrusive dirt issue?

This happens because grit gets under the slider. As the slider shuffles back and forth, it becomes, in effect, a sanding block, grinding down the top of the swing arm. How quickly this happens appears to have something to do with the soil type, and whether a lot of mud is involved. The more dirt gets there, and the courser it is, the faster it wears.

Silicon works by excluding dirt from the space under the slider. However, the slider was designed to slip fore and aft a little in because doing so make it less likely to wear rapidly or be suddenly torn. Whether you agree that this is necessary or not, and many don't, siliconing the slider down and/or modifying the washers to keep it from moving defeat this feature. I have seen the silicon sealer let go over time, too.

Furthermore, when you use a piece of foam or inner tube rubber under the slider, the slider is raised deeper into the path of the chain, which will shorten its life.

That's why I used a stainless steel shim. It's thin enough that the slider sits in virtually the exact same place it previously did, and the slider is free to move around exactly as the factory intended it to. But now, it slides over a sheet of steel, which is far harder than the swing arm, and easily replaceable if it gets worn. It absolutely solves the problem. The whole thing took an hour to do for the first time, including the pictures, and also required a trip to the metal supply house for a $4 leftover sheet of stainless. It would take twenty minutes, tops, to do it again.

• bookem

Posted May 27, 2006 - 08:44 AM

Would you be willing/what would you charge to fabricate another one for me? It would probably take me over an hour to even find/line somebody up here to make one... bookem@maui.net

I love my new 06 YZ450F after stepping up from an 04 YZ250F! Stock chain was never used, but I'm not complaining. Weird how the gripe threads are long. Probably fewer repercussions than snapping back at the woman. hahaha.

Still getting things dialed in as I'm 6'2" and 165 and don't know much about suspension.You haven't heard from me because I use the search feature (jetting, bar height/risers/clamps, sag etc. ). In fact, I made the right bike choice (450 v 250) because of your reviews. (although some have tooo much time on their hands and need to stick to the issues/ stop bickering)
You guys are awesome!

Thanks/mahalo!

• grayracer513

Posted May 27, 2006 - 09:27 AM

Would you be willing/what would you charge to fabricate another one for me? It would probably take me over an hour to even find/line somebody up here to make one... bookem@maui.net

It's way too simple. With the chain out of the way, remove the top two slider bolts and measure the distance between the holes. Then drill or punch the two holes in a piece of 22-26 gauge stainless sheet. After that, make a paper pattern template just accurate enough to let you trim the plate down small enough to fit onto the swing arm. Put it in place, put the slider down on it, run the bolts in to line it all up, and scribe the shape of the slider onto the plate. Pull it back off, trim it to the final shape and install it. Done.

A drill and a pair of snips is all you need. Metal that thin is easy to work with.
:ride:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.