Simple clutch adjustment...not working

8 replies to this topic
  • Express

Posted May 25, 2006 - 05:29 PM

I recently installed a DS kit which moved the clutch perch inward about 2" or so and had the stator out. For the stator to come out the torque limiter was out also.

Afterwards Im now having an impossible time getting my clutch lever back into adjustment. I cant get the bike to move while in gear...I guess I should say I cant put the bike in a gear and pull the clutch lever in and roll the bike freely. Even when I first start the bike I need to really let it warm up or knocking into first gear will stall it. Once its warm it will operate pretty normally but still not free wheel as easily as it should. Ive adjusted the crapout of the lever, taken the adjustment all the way in...all the way out....what am I missing???? Could I have gotten somthing out of whack while the torque limiter was out? :banana:

This is driving me :ride: , a simple clutch adjustment!

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 26, 2006 - 07:42 AM

I'm having same problem without any stator mods just stock set up. I thought it was the oil I was using. It just won't free wheel freely enough. The majority of my races are dead engine starts and this is killing me!

Bump!

Any input guys?

• drtbk4ever

Posted May 26, 2006 - 08:06 AM

OK, me three. I too am having the same issues with the clutch. I have adjusted it at the lever with only small improvements. Are there any other external adjustments we are missing?

• spick

Posted May 27, 2006 - 06:24 AM

I'm having trouble with mine too. I have 270kms on the bike and just tried adjusting the clutch as it still 'jumps' a tiny bit when I pop it into gear. I can also feel it pull if the bike in in gear when I have the clutch in. It never free wheels like it does in neutral.

I have the free play of the clutch lever within the spec limit in the guide, 8 - 13mm.

Is this just typical of the WR tranny?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bamster

Posted May 27, 2006 - 02:48 PM

Not sure about Expresses problem but the rest sound like the metal clutch plates are warped. When you put your bike in gear and pull the clutch in and try to push it (not running) the clutch will have some drag making the bike hard to push because the metal plates are slightly warped. Makes the bike a bitch to start in gear.

• Express

Posted May 27, 2006 - 08:04 PM

Just to elaborate on my PIA clutch adjustment. I messed with the clutch a bit today just to answer some of my own questions.

Tried to adjust the clutch again this morning, the bike had not been started and was completely cold. In gear clutch lever pulled in the rear wheel will slide across my garage floor, it will not turn. The clutch should be adjusted properly so I walked the bike outside and let it run for 5-6 minutes. Hop on kick it down into first and everythings fine. Hop off and it can be pushed around while in gear with no problem, Clutch engages at a normal point and from what I could tell messing in my driveway it does fully engage.

Let the bike sit for a few hours while Im working around the yard and try pushing it while in gear and the results are the same...it wont free wheel? Hop on start it up only idle few a few moments and kick it down to first and it jerks and stalls. Let it warm up and its fine again.

Ive never had a bike be this "tight" when cold or at least not warmed up for a bit. Im not sure how "warm" the bike needs to be for my engagement to work correctly but this doesnt seem right.

Its not broken in yet I havent had alot of free time and our weather has been lousy but I dont see why the clutch plates would grab so tightly cold?

• spick

Posted May 28, 2006 - 04:12 AM

The metal clutch plate warped on a brand new bike? Possible I suppose but I hope not.

My symptoms are a lot like Express', the bike is 'tight' when cold but will loosen up when warm. Though I can still feel a slight drag, even when the bike is warm. There is also a distinct noise when I shift the bike into neutral and let the clutch lever out. I can hear something spinning...

Anyway, prolly just being overly paranoid.

• Bamster

Posted May 28, 2006 - 05:49 AM

The metal clutch plate warped on a brand new bike? Possible I suppose but I hope not

If you know what the clutch looks like you will know that it doesn't take much warping to cause some drag.
It is very common and does not hurt anything. When the engine is running and oil is splashing on the clutch it will work as intended.

• Bamster

Posted May 28, 2006 - 05:50 AM

Let the bike sit for a few hours while Im working around the yard and try pushing it while in gear and the results are the same...it wont free wheel? Hop on start it up only idle few a few moments and kick it down to first and it jerks and stalls. Let it warm up and its fine again.

Sounds really strange. :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.