Cheap Lighting

9 replies to this topic
  • dirtraveller

Posted May 25, 2006 - 12:07 PM

Has anyone made their own HID or halogen lighting for a thumper? I saw Baja Designs prices, and I can't afford it. I would still like to be able to see in the dark. I just can't see paying that much.

• Kenaroo

Posted May 25, 2006 - 12:23 PM

here's a guy that did it to his DR. Best to check ebay for used HID ballast/light combos pulled from wreck cars. you can get the units for less than $150.

but then you have to modify your stock headlight or get an acerbis DHH light to retro.

http://www.thumperta...2&highlight=hid

• cleonard

Posted May 25, 2006 - 03:08 PM

I've seen kits on ebay that retrofit the standard light bulbs to HID. They had an H4 version. I think it ran about $250 for 2, but don't depend on that figure...

• motochris

Posted May 25, 2006 - 03:40 PM

That's what a buddy of mine did. Bought the retro-fit kit, comes as a pair of lights, so find someone who wants to split the kit with you. He just built 2, one as a backup, since they were for a nightrace.

• BWB63

Posted May 25, 2006 - 03:55 PM

http://www.cqlight.ca/catalog/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted May 25, 2006 - 09:40 PM

Has anyone made their own HID or halogen lighting for a thumper? I saw Baja Designs prices, and I can't afford it. I would still like to be able to see in the dark. I just can't see paying that much.

The bikes that this forum is about all have lights. I think you can upgrade the stock system up to a 55 watt bulb.

• dirtraveller

Posted May 25, 2006 - 10:02 PM

Right now, I'm running a 55/100 watt H4 halogen. The 100 watt is still not bright enough to race with, or ride fast for that matter. It's not just the wattage, but the beam pattern. An 8" euro type lens should do the trick.

• Triple B

Posted May 26, 2006 - 06:07 AM

Cheap and HID do not go together
Mc Kenzies sells the Hella 4000 halogen light and an HID upgrade. Then you could buy BD mounting bracket of fab one up your self I think you could do it for less money
http://www.mckenzies.com/race_team.cfm

• cleonard

Posted May 26, 2006 - 06:34 AM

Right now, I'm running a 55/100 watt H4 halogen. The 100 watt is still not bright enough to race with, or ride fast for that matter. It's not just the wattage, but the beam pattern. An 8" euro type lens should do the trick.

I have a 90/100 H4 in mine and I know what you are talking about. It makes a lot of light, but not in the right place. I'm guessing that you have an aftermarket stator and have 200+ watts available. It's focused straight ahead too much. One possibility is to use those extra watts on some wider beam lamps. I've been playing around with using some flood type MR16 (2 inch) or MR11(1.5 inch) 12 volt halogens. I'm making a bracket that will attach to the lower fork pinch bolts.

As far as getting the light where it needs to go, a helmet lamp, using a pencil beam MR11, cant be beat.

• qadsan

Posted May 26, 2006 - 09:14 AM

I have a 90/100 H4 in mine and I know what you are talking about. It makes a lot of light, but not in the right place...

I've also used the 90/100 H4 like you and its a lot of light for most people. It's great for playing at slow to moderate speeds or for trails, etc, but things get weird to me with the shadows and stuff past ~50 MPH without enough light. Also, the color temperature of the light is just as important.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.