2000 XR650R vs. 2000 XR650R

14 replies to this topic
  • BIGGITY

Posted May 25, 2006 - 10:54 AM

So a buddy and I were at Ocatillo last weekend and we did a GPS speed test in 5th pinned. Both on the pavement and in the dirt... Check it out...

His 00 XR650R - He's 215 lbs 6 foot 5, has the edelbrock carb, new tire (maxxis IT w/ 100 miles on it) and a suspension that was just done by Barnum. 4.6 desert tank 1/3rd full. 15/48 gearing. Top speed in the dirt was 80 and on the pavement it was 95.

My 00 XR650R - I'm 240 lbs 6 foot 7, stock carb, 14/48 gearing, 4.6 dez tank 1/3rd full. Teraflex rear tire so +8-10 lbs which is 80% worn out, Top speed in the dirt was 80 and on the pavement was 95.

On the pavement test we were side by side on the 78 and neither of us could pull away at all. Side by side for a about a mile both 5th pinned...

So riddle me this... How can I be 25 lbs heavier, have 8-10 more lbs on the rear wheel 14/48 gearing compared to 15/48 gearing and we are dead even? He should be spanking me with less weight and higher gearing.

Any ideas?

Does anyone still have that chart Quadsan had showing gearing/speed ratios?

We both think my compression is a little better so would that make the difference? :ride:

• motochris

Posted May 25, 2006 - 11:08 AM

Not enough HP to pull the taller gearing would be my guess. Your bike would be turning more RPM at the same speed than his.

• slomotobug

Posted May 25, 2006 - 11:31 AM

His engine may be a little more tired than yours, maybe your jetting is better than his, maybe he needs to adjust his valves, :ride: :banana: Could be many different things. I know I was in Mexico back in Feb with my '01 650 w/stock carb, fully uncorked, stock pipe/tip mod, and 14/48 gearing, and my friend was on his '06 650 with an Eldelbrock carb and XR's Only pipe, bigger tank, and 15/48 gearing, we are both the same size, me 6'5" 215lbs, he 6'6" 215 lbs, and when going accross the salt flats I was running over 95 (I know this because I passed 3 bikes that were running this on GPS and speedos), when he pulled up next to me, lifted the front wheel, and WALKED AWAY! It was awesome, he didn't have speedo or anything but he had to be running close to 110! I think it might have had something to do with the fact that his bike only had 4 rides on it, and mine probably 400 rides.

• resslera

Posted May 25, 2006 - 09:51 PM

Don't mean to rais the BS flag but let me get this right. You were doing around 95+ when your buddy pulled up next to you, lifted the front wheel, and walked away? I find this really hard to believe considering my bike, new or not won't lift the wheel past 2nd fully uncorked with HRC tip. Granted, I'm at altitude (7,000) so I'm missing a lot of power.

Which makes me ask. Closer to sea level can you lift the nose with throttle only beyond second jetted properly??

• weskc35k

Posted May 26, 2006 - 01:21 AM

Bigfella it could be as suggested a bunch of things the compression issue on it's own could be a part of it,jetting,fuel quality,tyre pressure all sorts of variables ,but in the test you guys did i would seriously consider it the work of EVIL SPIRITS.

• uncleroby

Posted May 26, 2006 - 03:28 AM

Not enough HP to pull the taller gearing would be my guess. Your bike would be turning more RPM at the same speed than his.

I quote!

Uncleroby

• slomotobug

Posted May 26, 2006 - 06:04 AM

Don't mean to rais the BS flag but let me get this right. You were doing around 95+ when your buddy pulled up next to you, lifted the front wheel, and walked away? I find this really hard to believe considering my bike, new or not won't lift the wheel past 2nd fully uncorked with HRC tip. Granted, I'm at altitude (7,000) so I'm missing a lot of power.

Which makes me ask. Closer to sea level can you lift the nose with throttle only beyond second jetted properly??

No BS here! Really? You can't get the front up past second? 5th gear wheelies are nothing around here.. Maybe your jetting isn't spot on, we ride a place called the Cynders up in Flagstaff that is between 7500 and 9000ft, and I can get 5th gear wheelies up there. :ride: Plus I didn't mention that the guy who walked away @100 is a Baja pro, if he isn't racing, you hardly ever see his front tire on the ground, He's one of those guys that has to pass you on one wheel standing on the seat, just to make you feel a little better about yourself, JK, it's just amazing to ride with guys like this and see what they can do that the rest of us 99% can't. I got to see him weaving through traffic 5th gear standing on the seat, front end in the air, while I was just trying to keep up and not run into any cars.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 4whlfun

Posted May 26, 2006 - 06:33 AM

I live in Arizona also. I would also have to raise the BS meter :ride: I have never seen a bike with this hsp per lb raise the front tire at 100 miles an hour. I live in Phoenix so alttitude is not an issue after 2nd gear I have to use the clutch to raise the wheel and I haven't ever seen 5th gear wheelies :banana: I would have to say show me. I am unchorked T-4 with header jetted air box done. BS BS BS

• BIGGITY

Posted May 26, 2006 - 06:41 AM

Anyway... I've seen guys doing wheelies down I-5 in So-Cal in 5th gear.. Get back on the fender, pop the clutch and pull hard on the bars and I'm sure you could get it up...

Now if he is saying the guy just rolled the throttle and he lifted the front wheel then I would say BS. But 5th gear wheelies are possible..

• slomotobug

Posted May 26, 2006 - 07:57 AM

I live in Arizona also. I would also have to raise the BS meter :ride: I have never seen a bike with this hsp per lb raise the front tire at 100 miles an hour. I live in Phoenix so alttitude is not an issue after 2nd gear I have to use the clutch to raise the wheel and I haven't ever seen 5th gear wheelies :banana: I would have to say show me. I am unchorked T-4 with header jetted air box done. BS BS BS

Just becaus eyou haven't seen it yourself does not make it BS :busted:
It can be done, easliy, like BIGCITY said, flick the clutch, and up she comes, that's the real way to do a wheelie, at any speed, on any bike. I didn't stop and ask him if he pulled the clutch or not, but he definitely pulled her up, and walked away! Take your bike out, get going about 1/2 trhottle 5th gear, flog the clutch while grabbing a handful of throttle, and you'll see, make sure you're covering the back brake though, it'll come up faster than you can imagine.

• ghoti

Posted May 26, 2006 - 08:08 AM

So a buddy and I were at Ocatillo last weekend and we did a GPS speed test in 5th pinned. Both on the pavement and in the dirt... Check it out...

His 00 XR650R - He's 215 lbs 6 foot 5, has the edelbrock carb, new tire (maxxis IT w/ 100 miles on it) and a suspension that was just done by Barnum. 4.6 desert tank 1/3rd full. 15/48 gearing. Top speed in the dirt was 80 and on the pavement it was 95.

My 00 XR650R - I'm 240 lbs 6 foot 7, stock carb, 14/48 gearing, 4.6 dez tank 1/3rd full. Teraflex rear tire so +8-10 lbs which is 80% worn out, Top speed in the dirt was 80 and on the pavement was 95.

On the pavement test we were side by side on the 78 and neither of us could pull away at all. Side by side for a about a mile both 5th pinned...

So riddle me this... How can I be 25 lbs heavier, have 8-10 more lbs on the rear wheel 14/48 gearing compared to 15/48 gearing and we are dead even? He should be spanking me with less weight and higher gearing.

Any ideas?

Does anyone still have that chart Quadsan had showing gearing/speed ratios?

We both think my compression is a little better so would that make the difference? :ride:

Another big factor in gearing is tire diameter. If your worn out tire was a bigger diameter than his new one it would put you close in gearing.

• resslera

Posted May 26, 2006 - 08:34 AM

Copy that on the clutch. I made the assumption you were talking throttle only. I try not to do that with the clutch thinking it will wear it out too quick.

• slomotobug

Posted May 26, 2006 - 08:54 AM

Copy that on the clutch. I made the assumption you were talking throttle only. I try not to do that with the clutch thinking it will wear it out too quick.

Nah, the clutch will be fine, I used to clutch my 650 like a 2-stroke, just used to riding like that, always feathering/flicking the clutch, in over 5 years of riding it like that, I only wore out 1 clutch, and that was early on while it was blowing countershaft seals and running low on oil regularly. Give the clutch hell, it can take it. But still, on the flip side, I used to be able to get the front up w/out the clutch too, chop the throttle then twist her wide open, and up it came, especially at higher speeds because the eng would be revving higher making the braking effect of the throttle chop more effective and also making more power due to higher revs, but any way you do it, you have to be WAY back and pulling on the bars :ride:

• drtrider145

Posted May 29, 2006 - 07:43 AM

You have to be talking about Eric Brown #43 I have seen this in action ,although it was more around 65-75 MPH and he was sitting on his handlebars in fith gear.

• slomotobug

Posted May 30, 2006 - 06:10 AM

You have to be talking about Eric Brown #43 I have seen this in action ,although it was more around 65-75 MPH and he was sitting on his handlebars in fith gear.

That's the guy, however, this time he was actually on the seat, and my bike had no more, it was tapped in 5th w/stock (14/48) gearing. That guy is amazing!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.