Header Wrap / Tape

7 replies to this topic
  • jamestoo

Posted May 25, 2006 - 05:49 AM

I was just wondering is there much to be gained adding header wrap?

• goblin127

Posted May 25, 2006 - 05:53 AM

I was just wondering is there much to be gained adding header wrap?

Yes when you take a picture of your bike the header will stand out in the photo better. Hope this helps

• Blome

Posted May 25, 2006 - 06:15 AM

In terms of HP not much if anything, but in terms of cooling it's much better. I think header wrap was intentionally designed for enclosed areas like engine bay's where the wrap would help to decrease the overall temperature. For your bike however, it prevents burning a hole in your pants everytime you ride. It's easy and cheap to do, so I did it to mine.

• jamestoo

Posted May 25, 2006 - 06:33 AM

OK Many Thanks Blome I was thinking along the same lines

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HappyCurmudgeon

Posted May 25, 2006 - 07:07 AM

In terms of HP not much if anything, but in terms of cooling it's much better. I think header wrap was intentionally designed for enclosed areas like engine bay's where the wrap would help to decrease the overall temperature. For your bike however, it prevents burning a hole in your pants everytime you ride. It's easy and cheap to do, so I did it to mine.

Ditto what Blome said. My leg is noticably cooler since i did mine. It is also noticably cooler sitting on the bike in traffic. I did several mods at once (minor rejet, header wrap, front fender mod) and my overall temp dropped quite a bit, but i cant say which one of those had the greatest effect on it's own.

One word of advice. WEAR GLOVES. the fiberglass in the wrap, coupled with wet soft skin on the hands from moistening the wrap as per installation instructions can make for a few extremely itchy days.

• TREADMARKS

Posted May 25, 2006 - 07:32 AM

It works great to keep the heat off your leg.

Mine also worked great to help the big tube header rust to the point that it crumbled like a potato chip in just 6 months.

If you ride in the South Florida rain alot like I do during the rainy/hurricane season, ya might want to pass on it. :ride:

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted May 25, 2006 - 07:37 AM

It works great to keep the heat off your leg.

Mine also worked great to help the big tube header rust to the point that it crumbled like a potato chip in just 6 months.

If you ride in the South Florida rain alot like I do during the rainy/hurricane season, ya might want to pass on it. :ride:

Yipes!

I didnt consider that.

• timothypg

Posted May 25, 2006 - 08:47 AM

I Did Mine, Helps. I Sprayed The Header With High Temp. Paint First, Then The Wrap Itself To Try And Seal Some What. Seems Fine

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.