650L smokes a bit, Apparently has had sand in it, ideas?

4 replies to this topic
  • ParticleMan

Posted May 24, 2006 - 05:32 PM

So I bought a 650L off of wr450fyamaha a little while back (some of you probably knows how this is going to go). I thought I had did my homework, read a few of his post back a few months didn't read any major issues (I didn't go back far enough). I was really happy with the bike when I picked it up, it really does run great, but I did notice as time went on riding it it smokes a bit but not always. Last night I really nailed it down and got off of the gas, turned around for whatever reason got it to smoke pretty good. So naturally I come to thumpertalk and search for smoking issues on this forum. What do I run across?

http://www.thumperta...89&page=1&pp=10

:banana: :ride: soooooo, this is my bike.... I'm pissed because 1. I asked him flat out more than once on the phone if there was ANYTHING that I should know above the normal stuff. He assured me there was not other than it has been dumped a few times and the handle gaurd being fixed 2. he didn't tell me it smoked, I think I might have even asked him? but I'm not sure. I honestly don't know if I would've driven 8 hours to pick the bike up if I had known this.

So I just thought I would get that off my chest. Now onto the important issue at hand, my bike smokes and it has had sand in the top end. I need some thoughts about what this might take to fix, please no doom and gloomers here the motor runs great as it is. I figure that the cylinder wall could be scored and it will probably need cleaned up and new rings at the very least.

Unlike what the original thread states the oil checks correctly and reads like it should, so far the bike doesn't seem to be burning any noticeable about of oil. In the time I've had it I haven't had to put oil in it and I have been watching the amount.

Any thoughts are appreciated

• Dual_Dog

Posted May 24, 2006 - 05:41 PM

I think I'd at least have the compression & leak down checked by a qualified mechanic or knowledgeable friend. That way you might be able to determine just how bad the damage really is... :ride:

As for the guy who sold it to you? We all know there's no hope.... :banana:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted May 25, 2006 - 08:18 AM

Damn. WR is the gift that keeps on giving...

I concur on the compression test, etc.- just to see how bad things are.

See if you can find a garage with a borescope, you could pull the plug and look at the cylinder walls.

If it smokes, but runs well, ride it if you can tolerate the smoke.

Later, put in an overbore hi-comp piston and a cam and really make it rip...

Dave

• ghoti

Posted May 25, 2006 - 08:38 AM

So I bought a 650L off of wr450fyamaha a little while back (some of you probably knows how this is going to go). I thought I had did my homework, read a few of his post back a few months didn't read any major issues (I didn't go back far enough). I was really happy with the bike when I picked it up, it really does run great, but I did notice as time went on riding it it smokes a bit but not always. Last night I really nailed it down and got off of the gas, turned around for whatever reason got it to smoke pretty good. So naturally I come to thumpertalk and search for smoking issues on this forum. What do I run across?

http://www.thumperta...89&page=1&pp=10

:banana: :ride: soooooo, this is my bike.... I'm pissed because 1. I asked him flat out more than once on the phone if there was ANYTHING that I should know above the normal stuff. He assured me there was not other than it has been dumped a few times and the handle gaurd being fixed 2. he didn't tell me it smoked, I think I might have even asked him? but I'm not sure. I honestly don't know if I would've driven 8 hours to pick the bike up if I had known this.

So I just thought I would get that off my chest. Now onto the important issue at hand, my bike smokes and it has had sand in the top end. I need some thoughts about what this might take to fix, please no doom and gloomers here the motor runs great as it is. I figure that the cylinder wall could be scored and it will probably need cleaned up and new rings at the very least.

Unlike what the original thread states the oil checks correctly and reads like it should, so far the bike doesn't seem to be burning any noticeable about of oil. In the time I've had it I haven't had to put oil in it and I have been watching the amount.

Any thoughts are appreciated

While I'm not suprised there's always "let the buyer beware". If it's not using oil and it runs good, just ride it.

• cleonard

Posted May 25, 2006 - 11:58 AM

I had the airbox to carb boot come off on a XR500 that I used to have. I was at Pismo riding the sand dunes that day. Noticed it when loading the bike on the truck at the end of the day. Took off the top end, and there was no serious damage. The piston and bore measured like new! The bike ran for years.

If it's smoking a lot, it may need new rings. Does is smoke more when you start it after it has been sitting, or is the smoke more constant. Smoke at startup is valve seals. The all start leaking after a while. Otherwise it's the rings. Most likely you can get away with just honing and a new set of rings. The piston and bore only need it if out of spec.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.