More bark out of 06 WR450?

19 replies to this topic
  • dez4ever

Posted May 24, 2006 - 02:49 PM

My 06' is my 5th Yamaha 4-stroke and I'm looking for a little more snap out of her. I've done all the free mods with the JD jet kit and WB pipe and I'm a little disappointed in the power. MY last WR, an 04', had much better hit and better tractability. The 06' stalls much easier at slow speed and doesn't seem to make any power until you get to mid range and above. In my opinion it rides a little like a 250F, needing more rpm which in turn also causes the problem of spinning the rear tire in areas where I don't want it to.

Suggestions???

Thanks,

Bob

• coffee

Posted May 24, 2006 - 02:53 PM

Go down a tooth on the CS?

• dez4ever

Posted May 24, 2006 - 02:57 PM

Not exactly what I'm looking for. I race desert and sacrificing top end speed is not going to work.

Thanks either way.

• bandit99

Posted May 24, 2006 - 03:08 PM

Get the Boysen Quick Shot. It helped pep up the low end a little. What WB pipe do you have? I have the WB E2 and I know the bike will pull more with a louder pipe but I am ok with sacraficing a little power to keep the noise down. The quick shot really helped with the low end power.

• dez4ever

Posted May 24, 2006 - 03:12 PM

I have the same pipe and keeping it quiet is a must. I've never heard of the Boysen quick shot I'll have to look it up. I'm wondering about a YZ cam or something along those lines.

• bandit99

Posted May 24, 2006 - 03:30 PM

The YZ or a hot cam will definetly give you more power but is a little pricey, is a bit of work and will beat the valves more. The quick shot is about $70-$80 and is simple to install. Do a search in this forum for it and you can see what people say.

• odonnks

Posted May 24, 2006 - 05:41 PM

More power from a already hopped up WR? Holy crapp!!
What do you weigh ?

If you're getting tire spin, go for a different tire. That spin is wasted power. You need to get it to the ground. Here in the NE instead of spin its always a wheel in the air.
Try a different tire.
Soften the rear suspension.
Slide the forks down thru the clamps. (transfer wt to the rear. a few mm makes a difference)
A Vortex CDI will give you a eariler advance which = a harder hit. It has 10 preprogramed timing curves and a thumb switch to go between a fixed 'traction' curve and one of the 10 you choose.
As I understand it, these work great. I'm going to try one myself.
http://www.vortex-pe...m.au/prod02.htm

• coffee

Posted May 24, 2006 - 06:02 PM

My 06' is my 5th Yamaha 4-stroke and I'm looking for a little more snap out of her. I've done all the free mods with the JD jet kit and WB pipe and I'm a little disappointed in the power. MY last WR, an 04', had much better hit and better tractability. The 06' stalls much easier at slow speed and doesn't seem to make any power until you get to mid range and above. In my opinion it rides a little like a 250F, needing more rpm which in turn also causes the problem of spinning the rear tire in areas where I don't want it to.

Suggestions???

Thanks,

Bob

When you say it stalls at slow speed - what speed? 5mph? 10mph?
Is the spinning rear tire at low speed or at some other speed?

• dez4ever

Posted May 24, 2006 - 07:09 PM

More power from a already hopped up WR? Holy crapp!!
What do you weigh ?

If you're getting tire spin, go for a different tire. That spin is wasted power. You need to get it to the ground. Here in the NE instead of spin its always a wheel in the air.
Try a different tire.
Soften the rear suspension.
Slide the forks down thru the clamps. (transfer wt to the rear. a few mm makes a difference)
A Vortex CDI will give you a eariler advance which = a harder hit. It has 10 preprogramed timing curves and a thumb switch to go between a fixed 'traction' curve and one of the 10 you choose.
As I understand it, these work great. I'm going to try one myself.
http://www.vortex-pe...m.au/prod02.htm

If you were to ride the 04' and then immediately jump on the 06' you would understand about the low to mid range power differential. My weight is not the issue, 190lbs. I have been riding many years and tend to ride pretty hard not afraid of taking the bike to it's potential. The bike is seat up fine, it handles great the front forks are awesome. The motor is just not as strong on the bottom to mid as I would like. Maybe an ignition is the answer.

• odonnks

Posted May 25, 2006 - 02:10 AM

I was kidding about the weight thing.
I'm just a bit less and cannot keep the front end down when hammering it.
The stalling does sound like an issue. If i'm in first the bike can lug me on flat grade with no throttle on idle alone.
I did drop my drive sprocket one tooth to a 13. Made a huge difference and allows me to take 2nd below 5mph and snap out of tight corners. We have allot of single track here.
You mentioned you did not want to drop gearing and sacrifice speed.
The stalling shouldn't be happening regardless. If its when you get back on the throttle you'll want to try these fixes:
Adjust the ap linkage per the manual (free 10 job that helps off idle throttle)
Reduce the leak jet size (Drop from stock to a 35 or 40) I run a 35.
Boysen Quick shoot ap cover. (at $80+ a little steep but it does help off idle snap)

I did them in that order to get a feel for each improvement. Each provided some improvement.

If your bike is just stalling while riding slow there is another problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Triumphs

Posted May 25, 2006 - 06:20 AM

Not exactly what I'm looking for. I race desert and sacrificing top end speed is not going to work.

Thanks either way.

Have you considered the WR600? :ride:
This unfortunately is where the WR450 suffers for it's 5 speed box. If you need something with more jam in the open, there are a few options from other makers...but the list shortens if you want to ride technical stuff too!

• odonnks

Posted May 25, 2006 - 06:57 AM

Have you considered the WR600? :ride:
This unfortunately is where the WR450 suffers for it's 5 speed box. If you need something with more jam in the open, there are a few options from other makers...but the list shortens if you want to ride technical stuff too!

WR600 ?? I never heard of one ???

• dez4ever

Posted May 25, 2006 - 09:10 AM

Maybe I should have worded it this way. In tight technical stuff the 04' has more torque at a lower rpm, so you can lug the motor without it stalling...and when I mean tight technical, I mean billy goat type stuff. Trying to do the same thing with the 06' causes it to stall. The 06' requires more rpm to do the same thing but running the higher rpm causes more clutch abuse (which seemed kinda weak out of the box) and more tire spin.

So here's the question?

Has anyone put a different cam in an 06' WR450 to help out with the lack of bottom end torque??????????????????

• Koko Azuela

Posted May 25, 2006 - 09:37 AM

Maybe I should have worded it this way. In tight technical stuff the 04' has more torque at a lower rpm, so you can lug the motor without it stalling...and when I mean tight technical, I mean billy goat type stuff. Trying to do the same thing with the 06' causes it to stall. The 06' requires more rpm to do the same thing but running the higher rpm causes more clutch abuse (which seemed kinda weak out of the box) and more tire spin.

So here's the question?

Has anyone put a different cam in an 06' WR450 to help out with the lack of bottom end torque??????????????????

My bud just installed a YZ cam, works great, hauls butt on the technical stuff and clocked 96MPH on a fast straight, this bike will race the Baja 500, and it's on a 06' WR450. Doesn't stall either :ride:

• dez4ever

Posted May 25, 2006 - 09:52 AM

My bud just installed a YZ cam, works great, hauls butt on the technical stuff and clocked 96MPH on a fast straight, this bike will race the Baja 500, and it's on a 06' WR450. Doesn't stall either :ride:

That's kinda what I was looking for. In the write ups the YZ has great torque and they say the WR needs a little more. So I was thinking maybe there is a difference in the cams.

• TWILES

Posted May 25, 2006 - 10:02 AM

So here's the question?

I know what you are talking about. I don't know the answer. I did keep a forum going like this about the TRX450R. I am used to riding and racing MX on built 2-stroke quads. I bought the 450R and was sick. When you ask people who are emotionally attatched to their 450R what to do to make it fast and powerfull they tell you that you are stupid. That its fast enough. Hence, you would be better off just finding a good engine builder and asking him. Thats what I did and didn't like the answer, too much $$$$. I decided to start riding dirtbikes and bought my WR. It is the complete opposite. No bottom and tons of mid and top. I think my built 2-stroke quads actually had more torque on bottom right off idle than the WR had but I really don't mind it. It suits the way I learned to ride. I DO misjudge and let the RPM's drop too much sometimes thinking that the bottom-end will pull me out and I kill it but its not like I haven't done that on all my old bikes in the past. I'd tell you to just drop a gear instead of trying to use the clutch. I've had a hard time getting used to riding 4-strokes but the WR seems to be the closest I have ridden to a 2-stroke and easiest to adapt to. The best useable power starts at around 3/8 throttle and pulls hard all the way out except 1st gear and then it starts almost off idle. By what you've written, it sound like you should do like i did and forget what you know and start over.

• XRYoda

Posted May 25, 2006 - 12:58 PM

I've been considering changing my cam timimg to half way between WR and YZ. Just press the cam off and move it about 10 degrees. I belive that the difference between the two is 22 degrees. (1 tooth) Have someone who knows what they are doing make that change, and to either lock-tite or tack weld the cam back together.
10 degrees is quite a bit, and should be a happy medium, I think.

Yoda'

• Koko Azuela

Posted May 25, 2006 - 01:21 PM

That's kinda what I was looking for. In the write ups the YZ has great torque and they say the WR needs a little more. So I was thinking maybe there is a difference in the cams.

They are different, just make sure you only change the exhaust cam, that is the only one you need to get the results you are looking for, and it doesn't cost too much, i think they are around $160.00 bucks...
My 2 pesos :ride:

• MTrowbridge

Posted May 25, 2006 - 01:53 PM

Get a Boyesen QuickShot carb accelerator pump cover. Cheap, but it made a big difference for my 05 WR450...less stuttering, much smoother, and faster acceleration from idle.

• MountainMax

Posted May 25, 2006 - 02:06 PM

Ah, wr600 nice, Yamaha should make a WR650F next year, and make it a bit taller and longer for us BIGGER riders (6'4" and 250 pounds) :ride:

I put the boyseen cover on my bike, love it, but mine does stall when driving slow in first gear trying to get around obsticals, it almost makes me drop the bike if im trying to turn the same time, I blaamed it on 4 stroke as my old 2 strokes could put right along without stalling.... I too was thinking on buying the exhaust cam from the YZ

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.