shifting into 2nd gear...is this normal?

27 replies to this topic
  • flubber

Posted May 24, 2006 - 02:12 PM

Hello. I've only had my bike for a day now. 2003 650L 1500 miles. When shifting into 2nd the tranny makes a fairly loud clunking noise. All the other gears seem pretty quiet except for 2nd. Well, I guess first gear does it too but not like 2nd. Is this normal? I know nothing about these bikes and their quirks. I've never had a bike that sounds like that when shifting. Please tell me this is normal......

• Wheels up

Posted May 24, 2006 - 02:51 PM

Check your clutch cable. Is it adjusted properly?

• flubber

Posted May 24, 2006 - 03:49 PM

thats the first thing I did...its adjusted correctly. Someone please tell me there isn't something wrong with my new bike.

• qadsan

Posted May 24, 2006 - 03:56 PM

If you haven't yet changed the oil or don't know when the oil was last changed, then try changing the oil and see if that makes shifting better or wose. Use a good quality JASO MA rated oil from your local bike shop.

• gnarly sprockets

Posted May 24, 2006 - 04:04 PM

They don't have too many "quirks". Should shift like a hot knife thru butter.

• nxridge

Posted May 24, 2006 - 04:25 PM

My 06 L hits 2nd hard 75% of the time also.
All other gears are smooth.
even trying to be as smooth and slow as possible (with clutch adjuted correctly)
it will engage 2nd rather hard.

Oil has been changed 3x's with 10-40 with 980 miles on it now.

Its done it since i bought it new about 3 weeks ago.

• ParticleMan

Posted May 24, 2006 - 04:28 PM

Mine makes a fairly loud clunk into 2nd also. I've owned/ridden alot of XRs, not saying this is normal, but I've noticed it on quite a few.

• Dual_Dog

Posted May 24, 2006 - 05:34 PM

Hello. I've only had my bike for a day now. 2003 650L 1500 miles. When shifting into 2nd the tranny makes a fairly loud clunking noise. All the other gears seem pretty quiet except for 2nd. Well, I guess first gear does it too but not like 2nd. Is this normal? I know nothing about these bikes and their quirks. I've never had a bike that sounds like that when shifting. Please tell me this is normal......

Normal. Don't sweat it. These XRL trannys aren't like Toyotas. They make noise & you can feel & hear the gear change from 1st to 2nd. Also, don't slam it into 1st, unless you happen to be tearin' it up off-road & you need to get that gear. Just try different things out & get used to how the tranny likes to be shifted. Again, a loud knocking (not grinding) noise is normal. :ride:

I always (habit) shift into neutral at a stop light & then drop it into 1st when I need to get movin', & by rollin' the bike forward a bit (habit again). If it's a stop sign, then I'll shift it into 1st while still barely rolling. I rarely (never) downshift into 1st or use 1st gear for engine braking while on road. All bets are off in the dirt... :banana:

• XR_mad

Posted May 24, 2006 - 09:43 PM

Check your clutch cable. Is it adjusted properly?

one question, in a constant mesh gearbox why would it only do that with second, it wouldnt have anything to do with the clutch, just my 2¢ though

• flubber

Posted May 24, 2006 - 09:51 PM

Wow, thanks everyone for the great response. I did change the oil and filter on the bike tonight. Amsoil 20W50. I didn't see any metal flakes in the oil and I even tore apart the filter and nothing shiney in there either. The hard hit into 2nd is still there. The faster I'm going shifting into 2nd the worse the clack noise. When I'm really flyin goin into 2nd it really rattles the whole bike goin in. It doesn't go into 2nd gear hard or anything like that.....But why only 2nd gear on some of these bikes and not 3rd or even 4th?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR_mad

Posted May 24, 2006 - 09:55 PM

what it could be though, is the shifter drum

• flubber

Posted May 25, 2006 - 12:27 AM

hey xr mad, may I ask what is a shifter drum? All I know right now is it can't be good if its the problem. I found this on a different website. "I would guess that the problem is with the shift drum, which is a major engine teardown to repair"

• XR_mad

Posted May 25, 2006 - 12:32 AM

the shift drum has grooves in it which force the selector rods to move, which is what moves through the gears, as long as it still shifts properly i wouldnt worry about it, you said that theres no metal shavings in the oil so it sounds like it will be ok

• motomonte

Posted May 25, 2006 - 03:33 AM

Mine does too tough not so severly,It's just a little hard sometimes to engage.I'm not 100% sure but I think that its due to the fact that theres a big gap in ratios between 1st and 2nd gear so it'll be tougher to sincronize and engage.Just my opinion.

• ghoti

Posted May 25, 2006 - 04:48 AM

Wow, thanks everyone for the great response. I did change the oil and filter on the bike tonight. Amsoil 20W50. I didn't see any metal flakes in the oil and I even tore apart the filter and nothing shiney in there either. The hard hit into 2nd is still there. The faster I'm going shifting into 2nd the worse the clack noise. When I'm really flyin goin into 2nd it really rattles the whole bike goin in. It doesn't go into 2nd gear hard or anything like that.....But why only 2nd gear on some of these bikes and not 3rd or even 4th?

Is it when shifting into gear or as you let out the clutch? If it's the latter, check the chain tension.

• XR_mad

Posted May 25, 2006 - 05:24 AM

Mine does too tough not so severly,It's just a little hard sometimes to engage.I'm not 100% sure but I think that its due to the fact that theres a big gap in ratios between 1st and 2nd gear so it'll be tougher to sincronize and engage.Just my opinion.

constant mesh, the gears are always syncronized

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 25, 2006 - 08:09 AM

one question, in a constant mesh gearbox why would it only do that with second, it wouldnt have anything to do with the clutch, just my 2¢ though

You have to go through neutral- does this break the constant mesh of the tranny?

D

• roadcam

Posted May 25, 2006 - 08:52 AM

I think a lot of the 2nd gear 'clunk' is because of the big jump between 1st and 2nd ... after new 14/48 sprockets, the clunk seems much less noticeable on my 2001 XR650L ... why that would matter, I have no idea :ride:

• goblin127

Posted May 25, 2006 - 09:01 AM

I think a lot of the 2nd gear 'clunk' is because of the big jump between 1st and 2nd ... after new 14/48 sprockets, the clunk seems much less noticeable on my 2001 XR650L ... why that would matter, I have no idea :ride:

Thats what I would think also. I changed to a full synthetic motorcycle oil and that made a diff. also.

• flubber

Posted May 25, 2006 - 10:25 AM

I'm heading to the local honda dealer right now. I'll let ya all know what they have to say.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  159 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.