Front end push

10 replies to this topic
  • Rick_Wall

Posted October 29, 2001 - 06:31 AM

I have a problem with bad front end push,I have the IMS tank/YZ seat.Any suggestions?

• jamracing

Posted October 29, 2001 - 06:37 AM

Slow the rebound and soften the compression on the forks (start with one click), check your front tire pressure, and maybe try to lean the bike more, while going into the corner.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted October 29, 2001 - 07:18 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Rick Wall:
I have a problem with bad front end push,I have the IMS tank/YZ seat.Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Are you running the stock tire (Dunlop 739)? If so, throw it away! :) My WR turns mucho better with a Dunlop 756 up front. :D

• Rick_Wall

Posted October 29, 2001 - 07:33 AM

I'm running the 756

• CY_in_CA

Posted October 29, 2001 - 07:49 AM

How does the 756 differ from the 739? I thought the 739 was a good tire?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted October 29, 2001 - 08:11 AM

The biggest improvement I made to the handling of my '99 was the 756 front tire AND raising the fork tubes .5 inch. I wish I would have done these BEFORE buying the IMS YZ set up.

If I can tell the difference between the 756 & 739 it must be junk for the terrain I ride.

Brian

• Rick_Wall

Posted October 29, 2001 - 08:13 AM

The tire doesn't hit the bottom of the fender?

• BR_WR426

Posted October 29, 2001 - 08:46 AM

Rick,

If you haven't done so already, set the sag on the shock. As delivered it is too soft for most people. If you are up around 200 lbs or more, you will find that a 5.8 or 6.0 shock spring works better (5.4 is stock).

When I got my WR426, I kept feeling like I was chasing the front end until I slid the forks up 8mm in the clamps. Based on my weight/riding style, this setup works for me.

I prefer the D755 over the D756 for the mud, woods, and desert riding I do because the side knobs don't break off as quickly in the rocks. I took off the D739 before I rode it and put it on my WR400 and sold it.

Hope this helps.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted October 29, 2001 - 08:54 AM

BR,

Other than changing springs, how do you set the sag on forks?

• jamracing

Posted October 29, 2001 - 08:55 AM

No, it won't hit the fender. Raising the fork tubes around 10mm+- will quicken your steering, but the pushing problems will persist until the suspension is set right, AND you have a good tire. I usd the 756 for a few years (three bikes, 2 KX's, one YZ400), but I am a devoted Michelin s-12 now, and I would never go back. I live in Florida, and it's the perfect tire.

• BR_WR426

Posted October 29, 2001 - 09:14 AM

Rich, I was suggesting setting the sag on the shock spring, not the forks.

A 200 lb rider running a stock shock spring, set as delivered by most dealers, will have WAY TOO MUCH sag, causing the bike to push like an old wheelbarrow with a flat tire in corners.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.