care of sealed chains

11 replies to this topic
  • letter

Posted May 23, 2006 - 05:22 PM

What is the proper way to care for a sealed chain? What do you use to clean it? Do you put chain lube on it? Is the top of the line DID x ring worth the money? Thanks for the anticipated response.

• 642MX

Posted May 23, 2006 - 05:27 PM

I spray my chain with Simple Green and then carefully pressure wash it. I use either Motorex chain lube or WD-40. I personally think Primary Drive O-ring chains are a better chain for the money.

• grayracer513

Posted May 23, 2006 - 06:03 PM

I have used three Regina ORN chains, but never had to replace one. The first one I bought got sold with the bike I put it on. The one on my 450 is over two years old now, and is still in good shape. I don't know if the top of the line Regina ZRH chain is enough better than that to warrant the extra $15, but with that kind of service, I don't know if I'll bother finding out. X,Z,T,W, etc., chains are intended to improve sealing and reduce drag. Maybe they do, but the drag thing is overblown. I didn't care for the X-ring I got with my 250F, but I can't vouch for how it was maintained.

I also use Simple Green, followed by a spray from a garden hose, or sometimes a pressure spray. If I use a pressure washer, it's done from the sides only, and from no closer than 12-14". You want to avoid driving water under the seals.

I use Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard because it lubes the outer rollers and the sprockets, prevents rust, dries nearly grease free so it collects very little dirt, and washes off easily with the aforementioned simple green, taking the dirt with it.

• letter

Posted May 23, 2006 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for the response Gray. I got the Tag sprocket, DID ERT (non sealed) combo from Motosport in December. The chain stretched after every ride. I measured the chain per the manual and according to the manual it is already at its limit. I know that non sealed chains stretch more, but this ERT has stretched faster than the stock chain. I had the stock chain on the bike for a year before it reached its limit per the manual.

• shanedut

Posted May 23, 2006 - 08:13 PM

I second the regina o-ring chains, I had mine on for 2 years of hard riding and just replaced it. I didnt have to but I wanted new sprockets and I had a spare chain sitting around so I put the new one on.

• dbehr624

Posted May 23, 2006 - 09:15 PM

Well I have the DID X ring VM pro chain ($130). I havent had a chance to try it yet, but from what i heard it is very tough and really the best chain on the market.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • One Louder

Posted May 23, 2006 - 09:54 PM

I spray my chain with Simple Green and then carefully pressure wash it. I use either Motorex chain lube or WD-40. I personally think Primary Drive O-ring chains are a better chain for the money.

Chain lube is better than wd-40 in my opinion....But that's just me :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted May 23, 2006 - 10:17 PM

Well I have the DID X ring VM pro chain ($130). ...from what i heard it is very tough and really the best chain on the market.

Damn, I hope so. That's nearly twice what an ORN can be bought for.

• barch88

Posted May 24, 2006 - 07:43 AM

I use Gumout on chain to clean it, Spectrem Rust Preventor spray, sometimes Bel-Ray lube, or WD-40, and thats about it, its cleannn.

• One Louder

Posted May 24, 2006 - 06:09 PM

The problem with WD-40 is that it flings off the chain and loads up with dirt.

• grayracer513

Posted May 25, 2006 - 11:36 AM

The problem with WD40 is that it doesn't lube anything very well, doesn't prevent rust for more than a few days, and can attack certain kinds of rubber that might be used in some chains. It's mostly solvents, and is intended as a water dispersant, which it does well.

• SUnruh

Posted May 25, 2006 - 11:46 AM

wd40 after washing to prevent rust.
then i use MX-1000 chain lube.
this stuff is simply amazing. a typical oem rear sprocket lasts 2 hours tops. since using a DID X-ring and MX-1000 chain lube i have over 12 hours on the oem rear sprocket!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.