Flywheel noise?

7 replies to this topic
  • Goosedog

Posted May 23, 2006 - 04:13 AM

I've been riding my '02 in the woods with an aftermarket 12oz flywheel practically since I got it and never thought much of the whirring noise the bike makes, I just figured that's what a big bore Yamaha sounds like. Now I've recently bought an '01 that I've left stock as a track bike. It has the stock flywheel in it and there is no noise like my '02 makes. Is it possible the weighted FW could be making that noise? I thought it could be the timing chain too but it has a self tensioner right?

• getdrunk

Posted May 23, 2006 - 07:48 AM

mabey the weight is viberating.

whats the noise like? is it a supper fast tick? and is it for sure coming down by the fly wheel?

• Goosedog

Posted May 23, 2006 - 03:58 PM

Just had a buddy of mine, who's also a mc mechanic, come over and listen to this noise. He says it's either a main bearing going out or possibly some piston slap from a worn out piston. If it is the piston, which I sincerely hope it is as apposed to a total engine rebuild for the main bearing, what brand of piston to you guys recommend for this bike? He says the Wiescos' are loud so stick with OEM. Is there a third choice to consider?

• grayracer513

Posted May 23, 2006 - 06:16 PM

Check the bearing on the left side of the balancer shaft. The shaft can be removed and inspected in the frame. Main bearings could be at fault, but they're pretty hefty, and should make more of a growl than a whir.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • getdrunk

Posted May 24, 2006 - 04:59 AM

i would choose Wiesco. what do you meen loud?

• Goosedog

Posted June 02, 2006 - 03:15 PM

Check the bearing on the left side of the balancer shaft. The shaft can be removed and inspected in the frame. Main bearings could be at fault, but they're pretty hefty, and should make more of a growl than a whir.

I pulled off the magneto cover tonight as I changed the oil and checked for any play in the balancer shaft, flywheel and crank....there's none. Any other suggestions as to what could be making this noise. :applause:

• YzGuy79

Posted September 21, 2006 - 09:46 PM

I was doing a search and came across this thread.

I've had my flywheel weight on my bike for about 2 months and it does the exact same thing you are describing. Sounds almost like a turbo whine. I just figured it's because of the flywheel weight :thumbsup:

• Goosedog

Posted September 22, 2006 - 02:55 AM

I was doing a search and came across this thread.

I've had my flywheel weight on my bike for about 2 months and it does the exact same thing you are describing. Sounds almost like a turbo whine. I just figured it's because of the flywheel weight :thumbsup:

I never discovered what the noise is on my bike but I ruled out the flywheel when I checked the bolts on it and they were tight. You might want to do the same, especially if it's getting louder with time.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.