Horsepower and Top Speed of CRF 100

31 replies to this topic
  • jefffoxsr

Posted May 22, 2006 - 07:27 PM

I'm trying to decide between the crf 100 and crf 150.

The 150 has 12 hp and weighs 223#

The 100 only weighs 165 #.

If the 100 has only a bit less hp than the 150, then since the 100 is much lighter, it may accelerate faster and have a highter top speed.

What is the reality of this comparision?

Has anyone driven both or know the facts about the crf 100's top speed or horsepower?

I have never driven either.

Thanks.

• mauricedorris

Posted May 22, 2006 - 08:43 PM

driven... don't you mean ridden?

The 150 is heavier, but it also has 50% more displacement. That is huge, much bigger than you think. The correlation between horsepower and displacement cannot be measure as a simple 50% increase. its more complicated.

With more torque on the 150, it will have higher gearing (i.e. bigger sprocket). That means that it will gain and hold increased speed at lower revs. This is really what biger displacement is all about.

I would be more concerned the weight of the 150 though. Although the cc's are there to move it, its still heavy.

• zicazoo

Posted May 22, 2006 - 09:34 PM

dig around in socal xr's web site. You can google it. He has some good comparisons of most all the upright engine stock and modded minis.

• socalxr

Posted May 22, 2006 - 09:40 PM

Top speed??? Are you going to race a 1/4 drag strip or make them street legal??? If you are, then get the CRF150, You can put a 225cc kit in it and go pretty good on the street and keep up with the flow of traffic on a 45mph street and keep it below 8k rpm's. But if you want to ride in the dirt, there are a ton of other issues to deal with. Is it your first bike? Remember the CRF weighs 223 lbs, do you have chiropractic health coverage?? What kind of riding do you plan on doing. When doing this riding, is it possible that the bike could fall on top of you?? Have you ever tried to bench press 223 lbs with your legs pinned under a bike on hill face the wrong way???

Yes, I'm kinda joking, but there's way more to it than cc's and power. And when someone say 12 hp, where is it measured, the countershaft or rear wheel???? I've dynoed the older CRF150's and we got 9.6hp with a nobbie tire. Also, look at the TTR125le, is a great middle bike. Your best bet is to ride a few different models, then pick one you feel most comfortable on. :ride:

• jefffoxsr

Posted May 23, 2006 - 03:48 AM

Here's more info.
I'm 36 , 5"10" and 150#

I have owned atvs for 16 years.
I am an experienced atv rider.
I have a polaris sportsman 500 and a Yamaha Rhino. I had a Kawasaki prairie 650 too, so I'm accustomed to power, but for a motorcycle I don't want a lot of power because I absolutely won't use it.

I trail ride about 100 miles per month.

I had some experience in my brother in laws YZ 125 2 stroke back in 1999.

I think about getting a bike each year and never get one. I will get one this year.

His son just got a 50cc baja motorsports from pep boys.
This thing is a blast even for me. It goes 50 miles per hour and has amazing power for a 50cc.

I was going to get the crf 230, but I want to stick to something smaller so I can man-handle it easier. The 50cc that my nephew has is quite small for me obviously, but I like the fact that I can handle it well. The YZ 125 was so tall I didn't like it.

The 100 is much lighter than the 150 and the seat height is only 2" shorter.
than the 150.

I asked about hp so I could calculate the power to weight ratio.
I asked about top speed because I want to hit about 45 mph or more. Under 40 mph would be too slow for my needs.
I will NOT make it street legal.
I will keep it stock. If I want more power I'll just sell it and buy a bigger one.

Thanks for the info.

I will make this a separate post too with a more appropriate subject title.

• NORTEXED

Posted May 23, 2006 - 08:40 AM

When we bought my wifes 100, it was a little bit short for her (she's 5'4"and it was her first bike) but the 150 was way too tall. My 11 Y.O. now rides her 100 a lot (he's 5' even), and it's just right for him. Don't get me wrong, the 100 is a great little bike, but at your heigth and experience level, I'm afraid you're going to get bored quick. We just trail ride, and for her, the 100's still fine, but the 150's are a whole lot more bike in other ways too. Please, Please, make a dealer let you ride both around the parking lot a little before you decide. The 150's are also a lot more money, but with a longer "attention span" for you.

• Mike in Fresno

Posted May 23, 2006 - 12:42 PM

get the 06 150, new engine, lighter and Ive ridden one too. Its a great first bike. It will keep you from crashing due to its bigger layout, easier to control when going faster in offraod stuff.

• socalxr

Posted May 23, 2006 - 02:21 PM

I'm about the same. 42, 5'8" 155#. I sold my built xr120's and got a TTR125le (electric start). I'm really happy with it. It's about 43 lbs lighter than the crf150 which allows me to throw around more and not throw me around. Stock top speed is probably low 50's with a 150 kit maybe 60ish. But I'm making it into the ultimate trail bike, that can also do mx. The other day I took it out up the hills by my house, steep rocky tight single trail stuff and I crashed about 10 times in an hour and believe me, that electric start is the best thing in the world, also not having to pick up an extra 43 lbs. was great too. I was already sweating and tired. However, they are all fun bikes.

• randomjibrish

Posted May 24, 2006 - 10:37 AM

just get the ttr125le...its right in between...has better power than a 100...and wieghs less than the 150.....its not a honda...but it still is awsome...

• perrypoint

Posted May 24, 2006 - 01:23 PM

I bought a CRF100 for my daughter, but I ride it too. I am 5'7" 145 lbs, and I think the 100 is gutless and much too wimpy for me. It struggles up hills - get something bigger.

• zicazoo

Posted May 24, 2006 - 08:34 PM

I love the xr100, but at your size if you like hondas just get a usd crf250x. If you dont like hondas try the wr250. you will not go wrong. the bigger bikes, if you are tall enough (and you are), have a huge advantage off road. suspension, power and cost, if you are going to start modding the mini. good luck.

• dfcfu342

Posted May 25, 2006 - 01:25 PM

If you go the 250X route, service honda makes a 250XJ. J for "junior". All it is is a 250X cramed into an 85 Expert frame. This would help you since you said you dont like the height of the bigger bikes.

• Nosebag

Posted May 29, 2006 - 04:31 PM

i like bombin around the trails on my xr80. the only problem is that im 6'.

• MXBandit39

Posted December 17, 2012 - 05:49 AM

BAck in the day I use to ride with a boy that had a 100 and I rode my 150. Both of them are soo much fun. IM a yamaha man but I dont think that you can beat a honda. One of the most significant differences is that the 150 has interchangable parts with the bigger bikes, like a 6 bolt sprocket, and the 100 needs specific 100 parts. As far as acceleration goes they are about the same. I rode both of them and i coulnt tell a difference. The 100 is definatly lighter and eaiser to handle slow, but the 150 is rock solid going fast. we drag raced so many times and cruised down dirt roads with them both pinned and needless to say the 150 goes a good bit faster than the 100. Honestly I would get the 150 over the ttr just because it has the extra power. I think the 150f is the ultimate beginner bike.

• Leardriver

Posted December 18, 2012 - 11:31 AM

The XR 100 dyno's at 6.6, the TTR 125 at 7.97, and the CRF150F at 11.4.

Of all of those, the TTR 125 with electric start is the best deal around for ease of riding and teaching a new rider.

Millions of kids learned on an XR100, but the TTR is better now.

• procycles

Posted December 22, 2012 - 05:39 AM

The HP of any motorcycle is not the paramount factor you should be concerned with. It's the HP to weight ratio that determines the motorcycle's ability to accelerate and do work. So, if you had a 50 HP engine in your bike but it weighed 1000 pounds that would be a ratio of 20 pounds per horsepower. Not to snappy. If you had a 20 HP engine and the bike weighed just 200 pounds that would be a ratio of 10 pounds per horsepower. That would be MUCH faster and snappier.

The top speed of any vehicle has to do mostly with the gearing provided. You can easily increase the top speed simply by lowering the final drive ratio. That is, installing a smaller rear sprocket or larger front sprocket. Both of these bikes will do somewhere in the 55 mph range on the dyno. That does not include air resistance and other incidental factors that will affect top speed. That does not go on forever of course and every vehicle reaches a "wall" of how fast it will go due to the amount of power available to propel that vehicle. Generally the gearing provided by the manufacturers is a great compromise of good acceleration and top speed. Deviation from this gearing usually increases one while diminishing the other.

The XR/CRF 100 makes about 7.5 rear wheel HP and weighs about 170 pounds. That's a HP/Weight ratio of about 23lbs/HP
The CRF150F makes about 11 rear wheel HP and weighs about 235 pounds. That's a HP/Weight ratio of about 21lbs/HP

You can see they are very similar and if you were to "drag race" these two models with riders of the same weight and skill level it would be a very close race. If you've ridden both of these models you already know this.

If you are going to racing in the 150 air cooled or Mad Dog classes an XR100 with a professionally built race engine will perform much better than the heavier 150F. If, however, you are trail riding, jumping, slamming ruts and generally riding the wheels of the bike the 150F is much better than the 100. The intent of the 100 is as a beginner bike. The 150F can be ridden by adults and anyone who wants an "indestructible" play bike. You can see just by examining the 150F that Honda engineered this bike to take a lot of abuse. It is HEAVY DUTY. That is the reason why it weighs so much and really does not perform any better than the 100 as far as acceleration goes.

We build extremely high performance 100s and are consistently producing engines in the 19-20 HP range. The 150F, even with mods, will not even come close to these bikes. Most everyone in this racing district uses the 100 as it has such an advantage with the lighter weight and huge potential the engine has to make big power. The 150F engine needs a LOT of work to make small improvements. It doesn't breath well at all and that stifles it's ability to make big HP.

The only exception to this is for people who are tall and or big. The 150F is a better choice as it has much roomier ergonomics than the 100 and some of these folks are just too big for a 100. Both bikes, being Hondas, are excellent bikes and offer lots of fun and enjoyment with incredible reliability. I don't see how you can go wrong with either one. Just depends on what your uses are going to be.

• ACDNate

Posted December 22, 2012 - 06:05 AM

We build extremely high performance 100s and are consistently producing engines in the 19-20 HP range.

Um? How in gods name are you getting 20hp out of a 100? Aftermarket head and associated Takegawa/Kitaco stuff or in house stuff?

• socalxr

Posted December 22, 2012 - 08:18 AM

He would get 19/20 hp if he's getting 7.5hp at the rear wheel on s stock bike. Using two different dynos, we get 5.9-6.2 hp. Different dynos get different numbers. One is not wrong, just different. As long as you build and test the numbers on the same dyno, you can see how much a certain product improves the bike. That's also why in the CRF150R forum, you will see numbers fro 19-22 for a stock bike. Takegawa says they get 18-20 hp too.

• procycles

Posted December 22, 2012 - 01:38 PM

There is some small truth to the idea that different dynos see different results with the same machine. However ,we have a Dyno Jet dynomometer and they are generally considered the industry standard. The same bike on the same dyno will produce the same results. The only difference would be in the correction factor. Considering we are at 248 feet above sea level and test in a room with an ambient temperature of about 70 degrees and humidity in the 50 percentile region there is almost no correction factor involved in our results. It is typically in or around .98 or .99 which has little to no affect on the results. I've tested dozens upon dozens of Honda 100s alone and they make about 7 1/2 HP at the rear wheel. You can look up the rated power (in watts of course) that Honda publicizes and do the math to derive about 7 1/2 HP. Also, the gearing you use while testing along with the type of rear tire and pressure in that tire will affect the output as well. Dynos are very accurate and reliable tools so long as you repeat your experiments the same every pull.

Yes, we consistently make 18 to 20 rear wheel HP. We do use a lot of Takegawa parts to achieve this. However I use many of my own parts to get to these numbers. Most importantly the carburetor and manifold set up. They need to be tuned properly to see this power level consistently. I've experimented with just about everything under the sun besides the kitchen sink on these 100s. The Takegawa head is the best in the business but believe it or not you can get more out of it with careful cam selection. I have my own carb combination that works excellent. Idles like a stock engine and is as smooth as silk.

150r typically produce about 22 rear wheel HP. Some are better than others but then some have a lot more time on them than others. As soon as the engine is started for the first time it begins to have a diminished power output simply due to wear. A brand new engine will almost always produce the most power. As time goes on the rings continue to wear and you are slowly losing power. That's why if you are a serious racer you freshen your top end as often as possible. Nothing better you can do under a couple hundred dollars. This is why you see variations in similar bikes.

I'll get up some dyno graphs soon so anyone who is interested can see the HP and torque curves.

IF you are interested in dynomometers and how they work you can read more about them in this technical article that I've written. http://www.procycles...yno_tuning!.htm

• Monk

Posted December 22, 2012 - 01:46 PM

Pfffft, just get a CR 500 and end all concerns!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Building a Dirt Bike by htimsrolyat

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  40 replies
Forums
Photo

XR200R Modification Guide by Quick Draw

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR/CRF 80-200
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

1986 XR80 From used to brand new restoration. by Jase99

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR/CRF 80-200
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

What Would Be The best dirt bike for a 12 year old? by ramis

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  48 replies
Forums
Photo

CRF 80 XR 80 Suspension Rear Shock Fix by WAKTMRider

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.