New Chain and Sprockets = More Power?

2 replies to this topic
  • Grum_from_Oz

Posted October 28, 2001 - 07:02 PM

G'day TT'ers,

This is just an observation I made yesterday after changing my chain and sprockets.
Chain Type RK x-ring takosago; Gearing 14:50

I can now wheelie in 4th gear! I knew that an old and stiff chain could suck up power but not to a significant extent. After the new drive gear was installed, I was pleasantly surprised as the front wheel pointed sky high after 2nd, 3rd and then a 4th gear wheelie down the road. My old stock chain after 3500k of mud riding was stiff, stretched and worn. I had always struggled to lift it in 4th but not now :). Anyway, just an observation....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jamracing

Posted October 29, 2001 - 06:41 AM

Wow, talk about free horsepower (well sort of free, more like a by-product of maintenance). Did you maybe go to a bigger rear sprocket unknowingly (I've seen it happen :) )

• Grum_from_Oz

Posted October 29, 2001 - 12:29 PM

I have kept the same gearing because it is perfect for my type of bush riding. I spoke to my friend who rides a 520 and he swears he feels the same effect after a new chain and sprocket combo. Not that a 520 needs more power anyway. :) Keep it on the back wheel.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.