Race gas needed for 06 wr450?

6 replies to this topic
  • tenyart

Posted May 22, 2006 - 06:12 PM

Hello everyone,
With 12:3 to 1 compression, do we need to run more than 93 octane fuel? When I lug my bike in too high of a gear I hear a rattle/ping noises, but it sounds like its coming from the trans sprocket/chain area. Could it be pre-ignition? The bike runs great otherwise, but I don't want to cause damage.
Thanks for your input.
Terry

• 642MX

Posted May 22, 2006 - 06:15 PM

Premium fuel will be fine for a stock motor.

• odonnks

Posted May 23, 2006 - 02:07 AM

93 is fine, you probably hearing chain drive chain slap. Very common with these.

Here is the most recent discussion with a few fix's suggested. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE CHAIN, if it is you can crack the output shaft case when the rear suspension runs thru its travel.
A new bike may need its chain readjusted every ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tenyart

Posted May 23, 2006 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for the advice. This forum is very proffessional and helpful because of people like yourselves. I will check the chain slack tonight.

Terry

• GOTWHEELS

Posted May 23, 2006 - 01:30 PM

I use race gas for sand riding only.

• odonnks

Posted May 23, 2006 - 04:33 PM

I forgot the link earlier...sorry

Chain slap > http://www.thumperta...95&parentpage=2

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted May 23, 2006 - 11:32 PM

Hello everyone,
With 12:3 to 1 compression, do we need to run more than 93 octane fuel? When I lug my bike in too high of a gear I hear a rattle/ping noises, but it sounds like its coming from the trans sprocket/chain area. Could it be pre-ignition? The bike runs great otherwise, but I don't want to cause damage.
Thanks for your input.
Terry

I run 91 in my 04 WR450 with absolutly no problems. Sounds like you have a lean jetting issue

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.