xr70 carb problem...

6 replies to this topic
  • viperman

Posted May 22, 2006 - 03:52 PM

Hopefully one of you guys can help. Just picked up an 2003 xr70 and it is running like crap. WIth the choke on, it fires right up, choke off and it won't idle, and when I am riding it at full throttle...it breaks up. SO far I cleaned the entire carb., adjusted the air screw a zillion times, adjusted the idles screw a zillion times, replaced the plug and put new gas in. It runs the same. Some one said it could be the valves.............

Does anybody know the factory setting for the air screw. The bike is all stock. I tried 1/2 turn, 1 turn, 2 turns....and adjusted the idle at each...
It seemed to idle ok, then a quick 2 minute test ride, and it would'nt idle
when i stopped. crank up the idle and it takes forever to get back to idle after you rev it. I also raised and lowered the c clip and it didn't really make a difference in the wide open throttle break up problem....

Next stop ...the dealer.. for a weenie of a carb with only 2 screws and I can't get it right. Its for my son, so its gotta be perfect. Any help is much appreciated.... :ride:

• five0addict

Posted May 22, 2006 - 06:01 PM

http://www.ministoth...carb_tuning.htm
there are no stock settings, even if there was its probly not what you want
you dissasembled the float and valve assembly?
did you do a COMPLETE dissasembly?
cleaned with carb cleaner and compressed air?
http://www.thumperta...ht=ajust valves

• KXMike

Posted May 22, 2006 - 06:36 PM

:ride:

Hopefully one of you guys can help. Just picked up an 2003 xr70 and it is running like crap. WIth the choke on, it fires right up, choke off and it won't idle, and when I am riding it at full throttle...it breaks up. SO far I cleaned the entire carb., adjusted the air screw a zillion times, adjusted the idles screw a zillion times, replaced the plug and put new gas in. It runs the same. Some one said it could be the valves.............

Does anybody know the factory setting for the air screw. The bike is all stock. I tried 1/2 turn, 1 turn, 2 turns....and adjusted the idle at each...
It seemed to idle ok, then a quick 2 minute test ride, and it would'nt idle
when i stopped. crank up the idle and it takes forever to get back to idle after you rev it. I also raised and lowered the c clip and it didn't really make a difference in the wide open throttle break up problem....

Next stop ...the dealer.. for a weenie of a carb with only 2 screws and I can't get it right. Its for my son, so its gotta be perfect. Any help is much appreciated.... :banana:

dont take it to the dealer this exact thing happened to me!
when i first got my 2000 xr70 wouldnt idle with the choke off but when you turned the choke on it would run. i tried everything valves disassembled the whole carb and tried every setting possible and still the same thing. i found out the problem is very simple. the first thing is if you take the carb off there is a rubber seal there. replace the one on the carb and the one on the black slide.(will post pics if you dont know what im talking about). the other thing i noticed is my pilot jet was clogged. it took me forever but i finally got a little peice whatever is was out of the pilot jet.then you need to put on a fuel filter on the gas line. if you dont put a fuel filter the problem will keep coming back. im not 100% sure this is your problem but it sounds to me thats what it is. remember put a fuel filter on after you cleaned the pilot jet and make sure no gas travels to the bowl until after you put the fuel filter on. not to confuse you but honda tried to put their own fuel filter that is connected to the petcock which you have to take off to see and the gas eats right through it and that is the stuff that gets in your pilot jet. hopefully this helps and if you have any questions PM me. good luck

• troy albarado

Posted May 22, 2006 - 06:48 PM

same thing happened to me when i got a good deal on a 2003 xr70. would'nt run just spit and sputter but looked brand new. took the carb apart 2 or 3 times finally noticed that one of the jets ( i think idle jet ,kinda skinny and long ) was plugged.( makes since ) if you remove and hold to the light should be able to see thru it w/ a very tinny hole. i could not blow it out so bought a new one for6.00 bucks or so. idles like new

• abel

Posted May 23, 2006 - 04:56 AM

Yep, Pilot jet. Clean it with a wire brush brissle.

• KXMike

Posted May 23, 2006 - 05:29 AM

what i did was i had a can of carb cleaner and i put that red shooter thing on the sprayer and shoved that into the pilot jet where you screw it out. then spray the carb cleaner with the pilot jet hooked on to there and it will unclog. hope thats not confusing

• motochris

Posted May 23, 2006 - 08:38 AM

I followed this last night, same problem with my 50 I just got. Definetely the pilot. No amount of carb cleaner or air pressure would clean it out. I ended up pulling a wire off of a wire brush I have and cleaning out the obstruction that way. At first it wouldn't go in but maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch, and I thought maybe the wire was too big. Kept trying and sure enough it broke through and would go all the way in. Runs like a top now.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

crf 50 oversized carburetor by anger806

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR/CRF 50/70/110
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Honda CRF70F 2008 by ThumperTalk

Honda CRF70F 2008
  • 1 review
  • Last review by phobbs
  • On August 03, 2014
Reviews

Honda CRF50F 2008 by ThumperTalk

Honda CRF50F 2008
  • 1 review
  • Last review by bronc3
  • On January 29, 2014
Reviews

Honda CRF50F 2006 by ThumperTalk

Honda CRF50F 2006
  • * * * * -
  • 3 reviews
  • Last review by scooter1926
  • On May 31, 2014
Reviews

Honda CRF50F 2007 by ThumperTalk

Honda CRF50F 2007
  • * * * * -
  • 4 reviews
  • Last review by Alabama
  • On June 29, 2014

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.