XR 650L Horsepower- Stock vs. "basic mods"

8 replies to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted May 22, 2006 - 11:32 AM

I found a clean 98 650L. Anyone know approx. what the horsepower is at the rear wheel stock, and what I can expect if I do a few of standard mods? I need a dependable dual sport, but what can I expect to get out of this bike without going crazy and losing the dependability? Please make suggestions about mods for the bike which work. Thanks! :ride:

• Tleilaxu

Posted May 22, 2006 - 12:11 PM

I believe XR650L's are about 40 HP stock.

Blocking-off/Removing the smog pump, aftermarket exhaust, replacing air filter, removing/modifying the snorkel, and a jet kit oughta get you closer to 50 HP.

• adam574

Posted May 22, 2006 - 12:22 PM

I believe XR650L's are about 40 HP stock.

Blocking-off/Removing the smog pump, aftermarket exhaust, replacing air filter, removing/modifying the snorkel, and a jet kit oughta get you closer to 50 HP.

sounds right if that is the r model. but for the l i think you are high

• dukeryder

Posted May 22, 2006 - 03:30 PM

I believe an L is more like 34hp stock and Maybe 38hp with a pipe, Jetting, K&N, & an open airbox lid.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pigryder

Posted May 22, 2006 - 04:55 PM

I have to agree with you, I have both uncorked and the R will hand the L its ass to it :ride: but man I love that L :banana:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted May 22, 2006 - 06:11 PM

I have to agree with you, I have both uncorked and the R will hand the L its ass to it :ride: but man I love that L :banana:

Simply because the L has a very wide ratio transmission. The R is made for the dirt, close ratio. L is made for a mix, wide ratio. Stock an L does around 38 and with about 1000 bucks into performance, your close to 50.

• justicedone

Posted May 22, 2006 - 06:16 PM

go with like 14/48 gears for much more pop in the hills as well...and closes the hideous 1-2 gap while doing street hooligan'isms

• CAPSIL

Posted May 23, 2006 - 04:42 AM

2005 stock L was lean to say the least. I opened up the air box, put Supertrapp ISDE pipe on and went with the Edelbrock. Initial difference was the nice sound produced. Low end power and throttle response was improved. No more popping on decel. Top end power was still lacking. I had eight discs in exhaust. I put two more discs in and more improvement with better midrange and wound out better as well. Deffinitely a torque monster now.

I am going to fiddle with carb settings to see what more I can extract power wise. This is just the begining of fine tuning and having fun.

Will update as I go.

QS

Next is

• Motosprtman

Posted May 23, 2006 - 05:13 AM

I really don't think that uncorking makes as much power as it does "drivability" the engine just runs better - as it was intended to, before the EPA tree hiuggers get into it with HONDA.

Opening it up by allowing it to brethe better intake and exhaust with the proper jetting to compensate for the free flow - improves throttle response, eliminates popping when your off throttle and the bike starts and runs better when cold. As far as real horsepower gain, I think it is negligible, maybe a pony or two more. It does "feel" different uncorked and the engine seems not to labor as it does in the stock trim. Roll on wheelies in second are a twist of the grip (stock forget it) and just shifting thru the gears to 60MPH is just loafing for the big thumper.

Simply put it runs like it should. (uncorked). Stock is fine too, but it runs hotter due to being extremely lean, which will affect the longevity of the engine, it is also very cold blooded stock. Depends on what you personally want, I wrestled with the idea of uncorking mine for months, the motorhead in me finally won out - knowing it was the "right thing to do" it's easy and anyone can do it. The results rewarding.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.