Pink wire mod.

40 replies to this topic
  • falconjet

Posted May 22, 2006 - 07:27 AM

I keep reading about the pink wire mod for the 450x. Can someone please explain how it is done? Is this done to advance the mid range ignition timing?

And the $1000 question: How much does it help performance?

Thanks guys,

Tim

• commandercody

Posted May 22, 2006 - 10:00 AM

search it. someone did a great discription of procedure. i did it yesterday. very easy....

• ShadyatBest

Posted May 22, 2006 - 10:32 AM

I keep reading about the pink wire mod for the 450x.

that sure doesnt sound like a question from someone who states that they "keep reading about the pink wire mod."

• ShadyatBest

Posted May 22, 2006 - 10:35 AM

It doesnt help performance. You are getting the poink wire confused with the grey wire on yamahas. The grey wire changes the timing. You owe me a g

• Week_Ender

Posted May 22, 2006 - 03:30 PM

Actually if you look at the wiring diagram in the Honda service manual the pink wire is also connected to the ignition module as well as the rev limiter so there is reason to believe that it does effect the timing. If you search pink wire on TT it would appear that it is pretty much a 50/50 split base on opinion.

• RottenRob

Posted May 22, 2006 - 03:47 PM

I did not notice any difference in performance other than not hitting the rev limiter as easily.

• darbkroy

Posted May 22, 2006 - 04:30 PM

The pink wire mod must do something as number 9 on Honda's "Wrench Report" says to swap positions of the pink wire and the blank terminal plugged with the rubber cap.

• Kah Ran Nee

Posted May 22, 2006 - 04:30 PM

I noticed an immediate difference in throttle response in the low-mid range when I did the pink wire.
My friend has a 250x, and he did his with a switch. You can feel it surge when you dissconnect the wire while riding, while holding the throttle steady.

• NSANEMX

Posted May 22, 2006 - 05:03 PM

As I have posted in the past I put my pink wire on a toggle switch so I could check the difference with it connected and with it disconnected and I will tell you that my bike has the JD jet kit ,adjustable air screw ,air box mods and muffler insert removed I can tell a big difference in how much cleaner my bike runs with the switch off(pink wire disconnected).

• James_Dean

Posted June 14, 2006 - 10:37 PM

The Pink wire mod will add 500rpm to your rev limiter, or 5% higher.
The test runs below were made with the pink wire connected, disconnected, and reconnected to confirm the peak engine speed was 10,100 - 10,200 in stock form and 10,700 - 10.800 with the wire disconnected-

Posted Image

The horsepower was unchanged between runs on a basically stock '05 CRF450X with FMF Q2 exhaust.

James

Posted Image

• ShadyatBest

Posted June 15, 2006 - 05:32 AM

The Pink wire mod will add 500rpm to your rev limiter, or 5% higher.
The test runs below were made with the pink wire connected, disconnected, and reconnected to confirm the peak engine speed was 10,100 - 10,200 in stock form and 10,700 - 10.800 with the wire disconnected-

Posted Image

The horsepower was unchanged between runs on a basically stock '05 CRF450X with FMF Q2 exhaust.

James

Posted Image

Thats what i have been trying to tell these knuckle heads for awhile now

• falconjet

Posted June 15, 2006 - 06:31 AM

That makes sense to me. Since my X makes excellent power in bottom end and mid range rpm's I believe I will not bother with the pink wire mod. Seems foolish to buzz the motor and wear it out sooner just for a few more revs. If a guy needs racing performance then buy the R model.

• Kah Ran Nee

Posted June 15, 2006 - 08:46 AM

A two dimensional graph is no where near as sensitive as the seat of my pants.

• redrooster65

Posted June 15, 2006 - 11:46 AM

Do you have this data for the 250X ?

• Kah Ran Nee

Posted June 15, 2006 - 11:49 AM

I'm tellin you, it makes a difference in how crisply the bike runs, no doubt. I never hit the limiter, as there is no power up there.

• desertrider15

Posted June 15, 2006 - 04:49 PM

ok here you go

http://dirtdiggers.de/images/pinkwire/

• wolfmangk

Posted June 15, 2006 - 07:37 PM

I did not notice any difference in performance other than not hitting the rev limiter as easily.

Why the hell would anyone want to raise the rev ceiling? Even if it does alter the ignition mapping, why?? The limiter is there for a very, very good reason.

• ShadyatBest

Posted June 15, 2006 - 08:24 PM

I'm tellin you, it makes a difference in how crisply the bike runs, no doubt. I never hit the limiter, as there is no power up there.

People talk shit about my av gas being a placebo effect. It seems like the proof is out that the pink wire is just peoples imagination

• Kah Ran Nee

Posted June 15, 2006 - 10:06 PM

People talk shit about my av gas being a placebo effect. It seems like the proof is out that the pink wire is just peoples imagination

I don't imagine anything, except that you might have a clue.........

• Bigborefour

Posted June 16, 2006 - 04:00 AM

The pink wire mod shifts the engine limiter threshold. The pink wire part of the circuit that talks to the ignition module via/with the throttle position sensor. If you disconnect the wire you are allowing the engine to rev to the limit ceiling faster.
This in turn allows you to reach maximum but not higher RPM sooner and this is why you notice a difference in the low to mid range. There is no increase power!! The rev limiter circuit starts to work well before maximum rpm is reached to prevent the engine limiting being too sudden and harsh. The pink wire mod only makes the limiter work faster and more aggressively but does not increase engine RPM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.