which tools for remote rides?

16 replies to this topic
  • chetwynd

Posted May 21, 2006 - 09:45 PM

Am planning on taking some long rides out into remote areas of Nevada next month, and would like to have as many of the crucial tools as possible.

So, what tools and sizes will fit all of the most common nuts/bolts on my 2005 XR650L?

Thanks!

• roadcam

Posted May 22, 2006 - 08:31 AM

tire repair stuff only ... Hondas don't require tools ... "tools ?, we dont need no steenking tools !" ....... :banana: (but it is considerate to carry tools along, just to help out the other brands that are broken down) ... :ride:

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted May 22, 2006 - 08:51 AM

tire repair stuff only ... Hondas don't require tools ... "tools ?, we dont need no steenking tools !" ....... :banana: (but it is considerate to carry tools along, just to help out the other brands that are broken down) ... :ride:

SO TRUE!! I was about to say the same thing! It's an "L", just ride!

• ghoti

Posted May 22, 2006 - 09:21 AM

SO TRUE!! I was about to say the same thing! It's an "L", just ride!

I concur, 18,000 miles on my 04, never once a mechanical problem. Get a bolt/nut kit if you're worried, some big zip ties, some duct tape. The factory tool kit has everything you need, not the best quality, but it'll do, and as said tire repair tools.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted May 22, 2006 - 09:23 AM

Am planning on taking some long rides out into remote areas of Nevada next month, and would like to have as many of the crucial tools as possible.

So, what tools and sizes will fit all of the most common nuts/bolts on my 2005 XR650L?

Thanks!

for me?

band aids, beer, gauze, impact enabled GPS locator beacon linked to local search and rescue, beer, bactine, a bag of O-neg blood, beer, snake bite kit, assorted splint & tourniquet supplies... etc. :ride:

no specific order.

oh yeah, dont forget beer.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted May 22, 2006 - 09:26 AM

actually, other than the fact that the quality bites monkey dung, the tool kit that comes with it is relatively comprehensive if you toss in a tire patch kit of some sort.

and first aid supplies...

and beer. :ride:

• ghoti

Posted May 22, 2006 - 09:27 AM

for me?

band aids, beer, gauze, impact enabled GPS locator beacon linked to local search and rescue, beer, bactine, a bag of O-neg blood, beer, snake bite kit, assorted splint & tourniquet supplies... etc. :ride:

no specific order.

oh yeah, dont forget beer.

Do you have one of those beer can rigs for your helmet?

• Agent2

Posted May 22, 2006 - 09:35 AM

This little sucker is great -http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=3162&navTitle=Tools%2FShop&webCatId=22&pageLinkUri=&vehicleType=&webTypeId=140&navType=type

Oops - guess you gotta copy & paste - excuse my poor computer skills.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HappyCurmudgeon

Posted May 22, 2006 - 09:51 AM

Do you have one of those beer can rigs for your helmet?

Yes, but the tools rattled around in it to much.

• rkuckkahn

Posted May 22, 2006 - 11:49 AM

My list for remote areas: There's nothing worse than being out there, knowing the problem and no way to repair. I've never used any of this, the bike is bullet proof but adding 8 lbs of insurance is a no brainer for me.

Tire irons, tube repair patches
Fuses
Valve and tool to remove/replace
tiny flashlight
small hose clamp
first aide kit (for me) include needle and thread, pills (alergy, achs pains), antibiotic use as a lubricant too (tire changes)
air pump, and small inflator can with sealant
crescent wrench 8" the only real full size tool I carry
Rear axle nut wrench (comes in the factory kit with extender handle)
allen wrenches
socket set 4,6,8,10,12mm 3/8" drive, 4" drive extender
multi tool (leatherman for me)
vice grip
mult tip screw driver
spark plug and wrench (comes in factory kit)
zip ties, duct tape, electric tape (not whole roles obviously, just 3-4 foot pieces)
epoxy puddy, the metal repair stuff that you kneed together (1/2 container)
a 2 foot piece of wire, a couple of wire crimp connectors
adjustable slot pliers

Think that's about it. Water in camel pack (or beer/wine/cooler better yet leave that behind) ,

Optional but nice in a pinch energy bars, lighter, magnifying glass, compass, whistle, thermometer.

Excluding water you should be able to carry it all in a rear fender pack (not including the water) and add 8-10 pounds. I removed more than 10 pounds through fender mods, remove the wings, removing rear foot pegs, removing smog, after market pipe and plastic tank.

Anyway the only time I ever used any of this was to work on a buddies Kawa 650 and had everything I needed. Also had to straighten out a shift lever for a son and had to adjust a brush guard after a fairly serious fall. Like I said it's more insurance and not much added weight. I've never been close to any bike induced problems but hate to think about not having the right (or any) tool for a minor repair that would otherwise force you to walk. Bending my sons shift lever without tools.......impossible and the bike would have been a no go without getting it straight.

• motomonte

Posted May 22, 2006 - 04:59 PM

Maybe you can get away without tools but you should have epoxy (any tipover in the left side is a potential crack in the crankcase by the shift lever)tie wraps,steel wire(wich can double up as a missing bolt,etc)tire kit and a FIRST AID KIT,the bike you can always left behind.And how remote is remote?basic survival gear(fire,water treatment and something to cover from the elements;Big Trash Bag,jacket.The thing is when this bikes break its because of a very nasty tipover or some kind of catastrophic engine failure wich no amount of backpack tools can fix.BUT then it's up to you.Happy roosting.

• desmo900

Posted May 22, 2006 - 05:02 PM

I carry a bunch of tools.. but like the some have said, its only to fix other peoples bikes.
1/4 drive ratchet and sockets 5mm-14 with a 3" extension
4-in-1 short screw driver
spark plug wrench ( my stock one didn't fit my bike)
3M self-adhesive tube patches
3 tire irons
small alligator pliers (like channel locks only better and smaller)
Feeler gauges ( its so sad to see a Euro bike owner kick, and kick and kick cause his valves are out of spec.)
Axle sockets (for my bike, i seem to be the designated rusty nail finder)

• motomonte

Posted May 22, 2006 - 05:35 PM

oops, forgot to mention,bring a few buddies,I mean dont ride alone I know what can happen.....

• rokklym

Posted May 22, 2006 - 08:22 PM

I got a small plastic pistol case mounted to my rack for a tool kit:
http://rokklym.smugm.../70832699-S.jpg

In it I have:
Tire Irons 8"
21" tube - Patch kit - c02 and pump
Quick Steel and Quick Almuminum ( saved my but at least once! )
Zip ties ( I also have zip ties attached to the bottom tube that runs below the battery box, Ironicly with zip ties - nice to have them where you can reach one or two quick )
Flashlight
Tool roll with your average tool assortment.
8-10-12 & 14 mm - have these in sockets and wrenches

My bike has broke down on me a few times. I am not going to be stranded unless there is no hope.

• underwatersimon

Posted May 23, 2006 - 03:04 AM

I can carry every thing I need to strip and rebuild except for two wrenches in the pouch behind the seat, I'll send the list later.

• dbracht

Posted May 23, 2006 - 12:25 PM

My tip and trust me I speak from experience is to carry some of the JB weld quik drying putty. Comes in a tube and you knead it together. Called waterweld or something. Learned lesson the hard way in Moab several weeks ago. If you dump your bike it is possible to jamb your shifter into your side case. I did it on the Moab rim trail and lost a bunch of oil. Created a dime size hole.This stuff rocks and I now know where they sell it in Moab. Also a t-handle type 1/4" drive tool to remove the 8mm bolts on the side cases makes a difficult job real easy on the side of the trail...

• goblin127

Posted May 23, 2006 - 07:59 PM

A good set of tire iron not those cheap little ones.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.