Really Low Fuel Mileage With My WR

21 replies to this topic
  • Seabass

Posted May 21, 2006 - 01:47 PM

I went for a ride yesterday out at Jawbone. I had a great day riding lottsa single track and gnarly uphills and downhills. I was very suprised to see my '05 Wr 450 sucking down two gallons of fuel on a 28 mile ride!! Most of the riding we did was in second and third gear, no high speed stuff. Two of the other guys I rode with had WR 450's and they used about a half a gallon of fuel. It was pretty warm out there but not blazing hot (80-85 degrees) and I'm guessing we rode from 2000 foot elevation to maybe 4000 ft.

I'm running the Blue JD needle in the third position, a 168 main jet, 48 pilot jet, and the fuel screw at 1 3/4 turns out. I'm also running a Boyesen Quick Shot and stock exhaust with the Pro Motion insert. I'm planning on putting back on my Big Gun exhaust once I get the quiet core insert that I ordered.

I've checked for fuel leaks and didn't find any. The only thing I can think of is I'm running way too rich. But would running the JD Blue needle with a 168 main jet in warm weather at higher than normal altitudes (For me anyways) cause this type of fuel consumption?

• odonnks

Posted May 21, 2006 - 02:04 PM

Running extra rich could cause this.
Think about it, all fuel your engine burns must pass thru one of the jets or the AP pump.
Pull your plug and take a look at it. Based on your mileage, I'd expect it to be pretty dark.

• Seabass

Posted May 21, 2006 - 02:53 PM

I pulled the plug and wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was just slightly darker than normal, but definately not black and sooty. :ride:

• MountainMax

Posted May 21, 2006 - 03:01 PM

wow, i got 121km on my 06 wr450 last tank, mostly trail driving but some playing also.

• odonnks

Posted May 21, 2006 - 03:50 PM

Holy crap !! Thats like 75 miles !!
I never heard of one going that long on a stock tank.

• ARin

Posted May 21, 2006 - 04:00 PM

make sure that your fuel screw has the oring/washer/spring combo installed correctly, and that the oring did not fall off when installed.

• tp3dxf

Posted May 21, 2006 - 04:16 PM

Maybe the float height needs some adjustment. Sounds like you may have been dumping gas as you rode. I cant see that bike using that much gas no matter how rich you may have been running. And if you were using that much gas I would think the bike would run like crap.

How did the bike run? My jetting is pretty much just like yours but I dont run a Quick Shot. I do run a PowerNow.

Are you sure you used that much gas?

• DPWR400

Posted May 21, 2006 - 04:46 PM

What kind of mileage should one expect from the WR400-450's?

• MountainMax

Posted May 21, 2006 - 04:53 PM

that milage i got was on a stock wr, i have all the mods now including larger jets, so i don't expect to get that much ever again.....

• Seabass

Posted May 21, 2006 - 05:09 PM

Maybe the float height needs some adjustment. Sounds like you may have been dumping gas as you rode. I cant see that bike using that much gas no matter how rich you may have been running. And if you were using that much gas I would think the bike would run like crap.

How did the bike run? My jetting is pretty much just like yours but I dont run a Quick Shot. I do run a PowerNow.

The bike ran great, though it was sometimes a little hard to start. What I don't get is last weekend I did a race in 100 degree heat without rejetting for the warmer temp. I used less than half a tank and went 36 miles. I'm sure I used at least 2/3 of a 3.1 gallon tank and that my mileage was between 26 and 28 miles. I've run the same carb set up for about a year now and have never gotten crappy mileage like I did yesterday. I did run my bike without a main jet one time :ride: and got about the same mileage as I did yesterday.
Everyone else on the ride used less than 1/4 of a tank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bg10459

Posted May 21, 2006 - 05:40 PM

Holy crap !! Thats like 75 miles !!
I never heard of one going that long on a stock tank.

I easily get 75 miles to a tank. Last time I tested, I got almost 40 mpg. That's about 100 miles with a 2.6 gallon tank. I usually gas up every chance I get, though, so I never really tested the range.

• Numskull

Posted May 21, 2006 - 05:51 PM

What he said. Your dumping fuel. There is no way in hell your only getting 12 miles to the gallon
:ride:

• WR450F_RDR

Posted May 21, 2006 - 06:04 PM

I regularly get 100 miles on my 03 WR 450 tank, But it is my understanding is they made the tank a little smaller for the newer models from the 2.8 gal. I have. I would also agree you are probably running a bit rich somewhere.

• Desracer

Posted May 21, 2006 - 09:28 PM

Wow, you have just asked the question on TT that no one will answer. Check my old posts on fuel mileage to see where I have been. The next step is to tell everyone that does not have a 05 not to reply. Again the 05 is different, I know this because I have an 03, 04 and 05. The bike will really run great like you say and drink gas like crazy. Just for fun try the 170 main jet, my bike pulls hard and revs to the moon hard with that jet and the same set up you have. Now that you have an idea for more power we need power and more mpg's. You will have to go to the red needle, the blue one sell it. Set the red in the 4th groove from the top and make starting adjustments with the fuel screw. Your jets are spot on, it will start better in warm weather than cold. I am still trying to get it to start like my 03 which is as fast as the button is touched. So with a 168 main and a 48 pilot, JD red needle 4th groove from the top you should get about 24mpg's at a fast pace. With a 2.2 gallon stock tank 50 miles should be your limit with having fun. With no fun you could go way farther but then a Honda 90 would do. You will notice the bike runs better on the bottom with the red needle without a drop in power. Hope this helps, or you can get a 3.5 gallon IMS tank like me.

• odonnks

Posted May 22, 2006 - 01:58 AM

"I did run my bike without a main jet one time and got about the same mileage as I did yesterday"

That reminds me of a time my main jet actually fell out into the carb bowl. I found it by mistake. The bike actually still ran, though it was very cool out.
I sure the mileage would have been very bad

• pkcof

Posted May 22, 2006 - 02:09 AM

i have 2,850 klm's on my '05 and i usually get 100 ~110 klm's per tank on the way back to the car - there's usually not much left but then again i plan my rides that way and i'd expect that 100 k's would be a benchmark for most of the 450's anyway ...

• OlaGB

Posted May 22, 2006 - 05:27 AM

My bike gives me approx a 140km ride for 10 liters of fuel.. This is somewhat regular "hard" driving on gravel roads, and some asphalt, in lets say 50-70MPH, on dirt tires..

• MountainMax

Posted May 22, 2006 - 03:06 PM

my book says i have an 8 litre main tanks with one litre reserve, so that's only 9 litres not 10, and my milage is when i turned it to reserve, not total tank distance..... I headed home on reserve and had over 130 on it by the time i filled it up

• Seabass

Posted May 22, 2006 - 05:02 PM

Wow, you have just asked the question on TT that no one will answer. Check my old posts on fuel mileage to see where I have been. The next step is to tell everyone that does not have a 05 not to reply. Again the 05 is different, I know this because I have an 03, 04 and 05. The bike will really run great like you say and drink gas like crazy. Just for fun try the 170 main jet, my bike pulls hard and revs to the moon hard with that jet and the same set up you have. Now that you have an idea for more power we need power and more mpg's. You will have to go to the red needle, the blue one sell it. Set the red in the 4th groove from the top and make starting adjustments with the fuel screw. Your jets are spot on, it will start better in warm weather than cold. I am still trying to get it to start like my 03 which is as fast as the button is touched. So with a 168 main and a 48 pilot, JD red needle 4th groove from the top you should get about 24mpg's at a fast pace. With a 2.2 gallon stock tank 50 miles should be your limit with having fun. With no fun you could go way farther but then a Honda 90 would do. You will notice the bike runs better on the bottom with the red needle without a drop in power. Hope this helps, or you can get a 3.5 gallon IMS tank like me.

I changed my needle from the blue to the red last night. I've got a race in the desert in June and it'll probably be 100 degrees easy! I was gonna change it earlier but I hate working on the carb on the WR :banana: Too much crap to take off just to change a needle. It was pretty cool and getting ready to rain last night when I went for a test ride. I thought the bike would run like crap but all I had to do was fiddle with the fuel screw and all the popping went away.

I'm running the 3.1 gallon IMS tank now, and with the blue needle I was getting over 80 miles on a tank in Baja with a little bit of gas left. I imagine I could go between 90-100 miles before I ran out. I rode down there in temps ranging from 35 degrees to 90 degrees and never got crappy gas mileage like I did this weekend. The only thing i can think happened is I lost a shiite load of fuel on a tip over. :ride:

• Numskull

Posted May 22, 2006 - 07:18 PM

Wow, you have just asked the question on TT that no one will answer. Check my old posts on fuel mileage to see where I have been. The next step is to tell everyone that does not have a 05 not to reply.

If you dont have an 05 dont reply :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.