My new 426 (help with flooded starting)

5 replies to this topic
  • atropine

Posted May 21, 2006 - 09:00 AM

Hey all-

Picked up a 2002 YZF 426 last night. I read all about the starting procedure on this forum and when I test rode it it started on the first kick every time. Got it home and this morning started up on the second kick. Rode down the road about a half mile and pulled in the clutch to slow down and make a left turn. When I pulled in the clutch the bike died. I pulled over to the side and tried to restart it, being careful not to give it any more gas. I kicked for 15 minutes with no luck. I tried using the choke, the hot start button, everything. No luck. So I had a friend pll me to get it started, then ran with it keeping it revved for 5 minutes. I think maybe the idle screw was set a little low, so I adjusted it up. Ran great, and restarted on the first kick thereafter. Then I went to haul it out to my storage shed. On the way out the bike tipped over in my trailer and gas started pouring out the overflow line. So it was flooded, and again no matter what I did I could not start it. There has got to be a way that you can start these bikes after tipping them over; after all, they are dirt bikes and they are going to get tipped over quite a bit. I can't believe that I shold have to wait over a half hour after every tip over to restart my bike. What am I doing wrong? BTW, here is my ride. It is street legal (headlight, taillight/brakelight, horn, mirror) and licensed in Texas. At first I didn't care about this stuff since I am moving to Nevada, but the more I think about it the nicer it may be to have that stuff. I probably overpaid, but the bike looks and rides basically brand new and hasn't been raced or jacked with. Here it is:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• FriscoKLR

Posted May 21, 2006 - 09:21 AM

Turn the fuel petcock off, drop the bike on its side for about 20 seconds, you'll be able to see the fuel drain out the overflows. Set it back up, turn the fuel on and it should start.

Always turn the fuel off when the bike isn't running.

• Al Mikkelsen

Posted May 21, 2006 - 11:42 AM

My good ol' 426 is tempermental sometimes too. It's a four stroke thing. 90 percent of the time, its kicks right over. Generally you won't foul the plug, even if you lay it down. If you do lay it down and it won't start up right away, let it cool a little. Kind of suprised to see your street legal YZ with a stock exaust and knobbies. The guy you got it from must have really wanted a WR. Take all that stuff off and come to the track, where that YZ really wants to be. :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shanedut

Posted May 21, 2006 - 12:20 PM

The best thing I have found to do with mine when it is flooded is to turn the gas off, Pull in the the decompression lever and kick it through 20 times or so. Then turn the gas on, pull out the hot start(if the motor is hot) and kick it over. Mine will usually start with the first kick after doing this. Be very careful not to give it any throttle at all if its flooded. You should never give a 4stroke throttle to start them.

• atropine

Posted May 22, 2006 - 06:08 AM

Thanks guys-- I can't believe I forgot to turn off the fuel petcock. That will be the last time that happens.

• One Louder

Posted May 23, 2006 - 10:22 PM

I thaught that a flooded engine had too much fuel in the combustion chamber not the carb. I don't see how turning off the fuel will help. Pulling in the decomp lever and just kicking it through a few times always works with my yz 400.

BTW you may want to do a good carb cleaning and get a new plug.

congrates on the new ride :ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.