Mate says wr450 will eat the piggie?

52 replies to this topic
  • rmhrc630

Posted May 23, 2006 - 12:43 PM

of course add a rider like say Scott Summers - and it just don't matter the pro's make em all "dance"...

Ah no.

Summers tried and tried to make the 650 work in the woods - he failed.

The 650R caused Summers a massive amount of pain and rehab. He never liked it as much as his old 600.

He tells us which is better - 450 all over the 650.

• Border Patrol

Posted May 23, 2006 - 12:49 PM

Although not a WR, my buddy's CRF450R will burn my Xr600 everywhere up until about 60mph. After that its all pig.

• Triumphs

Posted May 23, 2006 - 01:35 PM

Although not a WR, my buddy's CRF450R will burn my Xr600 everywhere up until about 60mph. After that its all pig.

Apples and Oranges here! CRF = 225lb and 50 hp, XR6 = 280 lbs and 39 hp. No contest until the MX bike runs out of gearing!

• Koko Azuela

Posted May 23, 2006 - 03:08 PM

I have owned both bike's, WR450F and XR650R, both bike's are great, i live in Baja and hated the XR on the tight stuff, i missed the WR on those parts, the XR shine's in fast open stuff with hidden rock or ruts, but on flat out speed, they are almost identical, a friend and me had enduro computers on both bikes, he was on a WR and i was on the pig, we got about 94MPH on a fast straight, XR has 15-47 sprockets, and the WR 15-44, both engines are stock, the WR with stablizer gets you the caddy feeling of the XR.
my 2 pesos :ride:

• rmhrc630

Posted May 23, 2006 - 06:41 PM

Apples and Oranges here! CRF = 225lb and 50 hp, XR6 = 280 lbs and 39 hp. No contest until the MX bike runs out of gearing!

ah no just technology

both bikes well applied to open and fast riding. I know I 've done it.

No one says you cant ride a 450r offroad or even modify them - face facts - they are and will continue to be used in offroad events and situations.

didnt someone win a gncc last year on the 450R? Henry wasnt it?

Yes the 450 hoses the 600. NO questions

• weskc35k

Posted May 23, 2006 - 06:54 PM

The XR650r looks grouse,i may not have good taste but i know what i like.
Ergo's yes both the current XR and WR are not modern,but the current XR feels great over long distances.
Alloy frames are the future steel frame looks old,an XR has a look of it's own the new one not the antiquated 600.
The GNCC racing has really speeded up put Summers on an antique 600 and these days he would get blown away,he would do better on a 650 but still get blown away,i'm not dissing Summers the guy is a top level rider,it's just that these bikes don't live here anymore.
Actually Summers won a hare scrambles in 03 on an xr650r against,Chuck Woodford, Jason Raines,Randy Hawkins,Barry Hawk jr and i wonder if these guys are fast.
Summers last GNCC title was in 97 and he broke his leg in 99 on an xr600 so the xr600 was already not competitive from about 98 on.
He did injure himself on an xr650r though overjumping a tabletop that Guy Cooper and Kiedrowski(think) wouldn't try.
Each generation of bike gets better,a 650r is a better bike than the 600 99% of the time,don't get me wrong i loved the 600 in it's day it was an awesome trail bike i loved them.The 650 is the next generation of the same style of bike,some believe an abberration.
I think that the 650R takes a little while to set up but once done it's magnifique in it's natural environment.
This is just my opinion but i strongly believe that "I COULDN'T OF DONE IT WITHOUT ME".
For those who have been swimming in the "shallow end" of the "gene pool" feel free to show good solid inbreeding by abusing me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • renthal1

Posted May 23, 2006 - 07:35 PM

Talking about ugly bikes, I think those steel framed yz250f are ugly. Ride it for a month and the paint is wore off the frame. Sorry renthal1 thats just my personal opinion. why are you on this fourm if you hate the bike?

I've had it for 1 yr now and not a bit of paint has chipped of, but don't worry mate I'll let you know when it happens :ride:

• XR6's_rule

Posted May 24, 2006 - 02:23 AM

Seems we're heading a bit off topic here- talking of YZ250F frame paint and even a bit of XR650R vs XR600R.

I'm a multi-time XR600 owner and at one stage I tried an XR650R. My thoughts at the time when I rode it in tight/slippery/knarly conditions were that it was very stable at speed, was very very fast (which is great in open going!) but ate the juice had too much power and wheelspin for where I ride (which actually works against the bike), boiled in the tight going, had less ground clearance, didnt turn as quickly as the 600 and felt more top-heavy.

This is not to brand the XR650R as a dud, I just feel that it has its place and thats in the desert where you can use a 160km/h plus top speed, the rigid frame and sliffer suspension. While the XR6 was a bike that worked with you, not against you no matter what you did with it. I think the word is VERSATILITY.

• huntmaster

Posted May 24, 2006 - 03:27 AM

ah no just technology

both bikes well applied to open and fast riding. I know I 've done it.

No one says you cant ride a 450r offroad or even modify them - face facts - they are and will continue to be used in offroad events and situations.

didnt someone win a gncc last year on the 450R? Henry wasnt it?

Yes the 450 hoses the 600. NO questions

Ah...I think you're agreeing with him! You do seem to struggle when it comes to understanding people's posts! Don't they teach the Queen's English in Oz anymore? :ride:

• jonova

Posted May 25, 2006 - 07:04 AM

I have drag raced XR650 with my WR and won more than once. I do think that with the weight and power difference between the two they are just about even in a drag. But the XR can top out at much higher speed. I'll still take my WR over the XR if I could only have one bike. I ride enough single track to not want an XR......Yet. I'm holding out for a new CRF600 or something.

• weskc35k

Posted May 26, 2006 - 01:03 AM

The xr650r obviously had the choke on ,needed a rebuild and had a dirty air filter.

• XR_mad

Posted May 26, 2006 - 01:55 AM

probably corked R's

• ghoti

Posted May 26, 2006 - 08:37 AM

Xrl??

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.