how to perform jumps

11 replies to this topic
  • tshe1

Posted May 20, 2006 - 08:53 PM

how much of you motocrossers are doing hight distance jumps?
last week i have tray to jump in motocross arena but their is some problems:
1. when I'm
in the air with the bike, I'm not actually with it but struggling to keep staing on him (my fits are disconnected from the footpegs at air),
what to do that my fit will stay on the footpegs?
2. how to come to the jump: sitting/standing on it, pull the clutch in the air,kip on the throttle-until when?
3. how you perform whip freestyle jump? :ride:
thanks

• kawirider

Posted May 21, 2006 - 04:55 AM

1- give more throttle as you are leaving the jump. Grip the bike with your knees. Since you are on a WR, it would probably help if you stiffened up the forks and the shock.

2- Always leave standing. No need to pull the clutch in while you are in the air. Keep on the throttle until you leave. If you have enough speed before you hit the jump you can just blip the throttle as you leave the face.

3- You have absolutely no hope of "whipping" your WR426F. It is simply too heavy. If you want to try that get a YZ250.

• holeshot

Posted May 21, 2006 - 08:23 AM

I am by no means a jumping expert, but unless you have points 1 & 2 down, you are nowhere near ready to try a whip (number 3).

I had the same issues as you when I returned to dirt bikes after 20 years off. Basically, the bike and I did not jump at the same time (we were disconnected in flight). The only solution for this is practice - just keep trying on smaller jumps and eventually both you and the motorcycle will jump together (most of the time).

• tshe1

Posted May 21, 2006 - 08:52 AM

just wander what are the basics for whip?
what are the physicals rules behind it?

• 2wheels-drz

Posted May 21, 2006 - 10:29 AM

3- You have absolutely no hope of "whipping" your WR426F. It is simply too heavy. If you want to try that get a YZ250.

come on, how is it?? i've seen guys whip yzf 400 etc loads of times, yes its harder, but still can be done...

• dbehr624

Posted May 21, 2006 - 12:34 PM

I have seen a guy whip an XR 650 :ride: . It was crazy! :banana: :busted:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kid on a 426

Posted May 24, 2006 - 03:17 PM

1. when I'm
in the air with the bike, I'm not actually with it but struggling to keep staing on him (my fits are disconnected from the footpegs at air),

Hug the tank with your knees

2. how to come to the jump: sitting/standing on it, pull the clutch in the air,kip on the throttle-until when?

I would recomend sitting for low speed jumps and standing for high speed but always stand when landing don't pull in the clutch but If you are nose diving then give it a little rev and if your front end is too high then chop the throttle hard or a little rear brake and coming up to the jump don't just give it full throttle roll it on all the way up the jump

3. how you perform whip freestyle jump? :ride:

Give it hard gas off the lip and throw your body and handlebars one way while your are still on the top off the jump lip and then if you are sideways in the air let it float back strait for the landing

• kawirider

Posted May 24, 2006 - 06:05 PM

come on, how is it?? i've seen guys whip yzf 400 etc loads of times, yes its harder, but still can be done...

The YZ400F is a MX bike. The WR426F is an enduro. It is a good enduro but it is VERY heavy. As far as somebody whipping an XR650....... they must have a death wish.

• Idaho_Stas

Posted May 25, 2006 - 12:17 PM

just wander what are the basics for whip?
what are the physicals rules behind it?

Do a search. I can't recall which forum it was in, but somewhere on this site I have seen a very good string on whips... with links to a couple of excellent sites with good video and frame-by-frame photos.

• brennnenn

Posted May 26, 2006 - 08:27 AM

Just remember the flow with the bike, anticipate the landing. :ride:

• 2wheels-drz

Posted May 26, 2006 - 10:36 AM

The YZ400F is a MX bike. The WR426F is an enduro. It is a good enduro but it is VERY heavy. As far as somebody whipping an XR650....... they must have a death wish.

wat do u mean its heavy??? get real people, i am tired of people crying about this bikes heavy blah blah, if have never found it an issue, you just need to adjust your riding style!! and i have raced a drz for almost 2 years (enduro and supermoto). my bike i have now started life as a wr400, sure its lost a good bit of weight, but its still a bit beefy, but when i got on it for the first i was like, wow this thing feels light.

(yes i was looking for the pedals when i borrowed a mate's crf450 for a blast about the track.)

• kawirider

Posted May 26, 2006 - 07:03 PM

I dont mind riding a heavy bike. All I am saying is that a WR426F is a heavy bike that was not made to even consider a whip.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.