5th Gear Problems On 06!

14 replies to this topic
  • jeffboyd47m

Posted May 20, 2006 - 05:39 PM

I am having problems with my bike when I shift into 5th. It kind of lurches and almost seems like that it cuts out. I can hold it wide open in 1st through 4th with no problems, it just pulls and revs out. I even tried a fresh filter just to make sure that it was not plugged. I have not ever lost a gear before that did not either seize up or make a racket when it popped in and out of gear. My next step is to tear it down but I thought I would see if anyone has ever had these same descriptions of a blown gear.

• MJC476

Posted May 20, 2006 - 06:44 PM

Can it be ridden in fifth gear under any condition or does it lock up?

• jeffboyd47m

Posted May 20, 2006 - 06:49 PM

Yes it can be ridden in 5th. It just kinda of lurches and revs.

• MJC476

Posted May 20, 2006 - 07:21 PM

Is the clutch slipping because of unsuitable oil oil? Fifth gear will have most traction & might show a slipping clutch when you don't notice in a lower gear.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted May 20, 2006 - 07:50 PM

The clutch is a full Hinson and is definately not slipping. I have been very regular with oil changes and have been using Delo 400 with fresh oil after every other ride.

• jwcrf05

Posted May 20, 2006 - 08:08 PM

i would try switching your oil. even though everybody says those deisel oils are ok, I used rotella and had to put a new boss and pressure plate and clutch plates because my clutch started acting up, not sure if it was the oil or not, but I am not gambling again.

• MJC476

Posted May 20, 2006 - 08:40 PM

My bet is the oil. If not, does it seem like the engine is bogging temporarily? If it was a gear problem you would notice it jumping out of gear or worse, a nice trip over the bars!! I would suggest finding a nice open track and do some testing, fifth gear slowly wind the throttle on then build up the accel until you figure out exactly what is happening. ie clutch slipping,motor bogging etc.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • avlnch

Posted May 21, 2006 - 08:06 AM

Bel-Ray 4-Stroke Thumper Oil.. That stuff is really good.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted May 21, 2006 - 09:33 AM

The problem is not the oil and it is not the clutch. It is jumping in and out of gear making the bike kinda of lurch and rev back and forth. I have got the motor out of the frame and on my bench. After lunch I will tear it down to have a look see.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted May 21, 2006 - 12:14 PM

Well I got it all tore down, The dogs on the 3rd pinion gear are rounded where they match to the 5th pinion gear. In addition the center shift fork is worn where it mates to the 3rd pinion gear. Everything else is in perfect shape. It still makes me wonder why it would do that, 5th gear is used the least.

• o-ring

Posted August 09, 2006 - 10:27 PM

Does it sound like you are fanning the clutch..? If so mine did the same thing..What you have done is rounded the dog pins and it is disengaging and re-engaging into gear,mainly under load...Mine was only 10 hrs old when it did it and Yamaha told me i was on my own and no warranty would be given.( I was spewin")
Sad to hear of another coz they are an awesome machine.
Yamaha need to address the problem coz it happened a lot on the 5 speed WR's as well...

• barch88

Posted August 09, 2006 - 10:35 PM

I opened mine up for 1/2 mile in 5th and I didn't notice anything wrong, it flat out hauled.

• kyle450rider

Posted August 10, 2006 - 02:22 AM

this makes me nervous!I still have a deposit on my 2007 ,but this has got me thinking.

• warrior86

Posted August 10, 2006 - 04:21 AM

yeah same here. My 04 250f has given me years of problem free use. The last thing i wanna do is spend 6500 and start having to tear my bike apart every year.

• mxracer206

Posted August 10, 2006 - 04:30 AM

Well I got it all tore down, The dogs on the 3rd pinion gear are rounded where they match to the 5th pinion gear. In addition the center shift fork is worn where it mates to the 3rd pinion gear. Everything else is in perfect shape. It still makes me wonder why it would do that, 5th gear is used the least.

You most likely bent the shift fork at some point and it is just now causing a problem. A simple slide out that catches the shifter can bend the shift fork slightly, it may not be a problem until the dogs on the gears get worn enough to let them pop out and then the gears are done.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.