Buzzing sound from oil pump?

5 replies to this topic
  • Mescalero

Posted May 19, 2006 - 07:42 PM

I changed oil and filter and switched to Castrol Actevo 20-50 because of a recommendation. I fire it up (XR650R with under 1000 miles ) and hear a buzzing sound from the oil filter/pump housing. I did a search and see that it is pretty common with thicker oil. I ride 5 miles total to work and back everyday and hit the dirt less than i'd like every other month or so in the desert or Baja. I live in San diego so the the temps are pretty warm.

Should I dump the 20/50 and go with a lighter Castrol Actevo oil or stick with it? Why does the pump buzz? I have parked it until I get some info.

• qadsan

Posted May 19, 2006 - 08:08 PM

...I did a search and see that it is pretty common with thicker oil...

What search terms did you use to find this as being pretty common? I also ride one of our 650R's a couple times a week on the street. We use 20W50 in our 650R's in addition to straight weights and we don't experience buzzing from the oil pump.

You did get the oil filter installed in the correct direction, yes? It may sound silly to ask, but at one of the shops where I've moonlighted, I've seen it happen from time to time.

• Mescalero

Posted May 19, 2006 - 08:13 PM

I typed in "Buzzing" and read plenty of posts about the oil pump. I am also 99.999% sure I put the filter in right but anythings possible. Curious if this Castrol Actevo is the culprit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smashinz2002

Posted May 19, 2006 - 09:08 PM

When I had my 650R, that was one of the first weird noises I heard. The buzzing oil pump. I re-checked the filter placement, took the pump apart and checked tolerances per the shop manual, and everything was normal. I decided to just ride it and that the noise was 'normal'. Neither the engine nor the oil pump ever failed on that bike, so I guess it's not a big deal.
The only oil I ever ran in that bike was Honda GN-4 20w-50w. And the pump still buzzed. I figured it was because the pump was located on the outside of the right crankcase area, where you can easily hear it operating, instead of like the older XR's, where it was located lower in crankcase and deeper inside the crankcase where it's not as noticeable to hear.
That 650R was the most mechanically noisy engine in a bike that I've ever seen. Not only the buzzing, but the knocking and ticking too. . Never figured out what all that was about.

• XR_mad

Posted May 20, 2006 - 02:07 AM

that would be the valvetrain, i havent noticed a buzzing from the oil pump though probably because i cant hear it over the valves with my aluminium bash plate

• big t

Posted May 20, 2006 - 03:54 AM

Mine does it also. I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Related Content

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.