Coolant Compatibilty

3 replies to this topic
  • Geoffsta

Posted May 19, 2006 - 04:58 PM

What coolants are or arent compatable with the original coolant ?
I just want to top mine up without replacing the lot.

• briter

Posted May 19, 2006 - 11:11 PM

I'm using the Prestone-brand antifreeze that states it is compatible with any and all brands. I've mixed it with the stock Yamaha antifreeze without any problems. Be aware that I doubt Engine Ice (Propylene Glycol) will mix with an Ethylene Glycol base antifreeze like Prestone and the rest of the popular brands.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OneToGo

Posted May 20, 2006 - 06:10 AM

The Manual says :ride: dont mix different types. If they are the same chemicals then OK IMO, otherwise best drain and refill with a readily available one.
BTW: I read where water wetter and distilled H2O provide the greatest cooling capacity. Glycol with corrosion inhibitors have obvious merrit as well...

• minion

Posted May 20, 2006 - 07:19 AM

The Manual says :ride: dont mix different types. If they are the same chemicals then OK IMO, otherwise best drain and refill with a readily available one.
BTW: I read where water wetter and distilled H2O provide the greatest cooling capacity. Glycol with corrosion inhibitors have obvious merrit as well...

I've heard from a few guys now that corrosion inhibitors are useless in the WR motor, since the motor and radiators are aluminum. Which is why I believe Indy_WR450 is able to run Evans NPG-R in the bike without any problems. I may be wrong, but if the entire system is aluminum and rubber, I don't see any use of them either.

M.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.