stock carb problem, may have ruined it

12 replies to this topic
  • adam574

Posted May 19, 2006 - 01:49 PM

alright so i already know i am stupid. without making a six page story on how upset i already am i will only tel the problem. my slide and bore of the carb have some deep gouges in them. i can physically see them and they feel pretty bad. is this something i can fix with some soft sand paper or something, or am i looking at a new carb. i wish i could tell you more about the scratches but the slide itself isn't that scratched but the inside bore of the carb has some nasty burrs on it. i have no clue how sensitive this stuff is and how perfect it needs to be. i know if this was a cylinder wall i wouldn't be putting a new piston in there. thanks for any help

• 4whlfun

Posted May 19, 2006 - 03:27 PM

If you don't mind a stock carb. Ask here if someone has one. A lot of these guy's want the Edelbrock. I bought one off frankstr with all the hop up parts for 100 And I am very pleased :ride:

• cleonard

Posted May 19, 2006 - 03:33 PM

Depends on how bad it is. Carbs do wear out. The slide is harder than the bore so most of the damage tends to be the on the bore. If the slide moves I wouldn't sand it too much, maybe just a bit to remove the high spots. Proper operation relies on the slide to bore clearance being tight. As it gets looser air leaks around the slide. These air leaks screw up the operation of the carb.

If it's bad you can always try a carb off of ebay. It's a lot less than a new one.

• captb

Posted May 19, 2006 - 04:24 PM

Try sanding it, if it don't run right try posting here for a used carb, there should be plenty laying in peoples garages who have installed aftermarket carbs.

• frankstr

Posted May 19, 2006 - 07:22 PM

Time for a'll be glad you did..... :ride:

• XR_mad

Posted May 19, 2006 - 09:35 PM

dont read the edelbrock problems thread in that case

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cajun

Posted May 20, 2006 - 04:38 AM

Man you may have done yourself a favor! It will probably work okay as long as the slide moves up and down okay. If not put an Edelbrock on. I'm not kidding its the best thing I ever did to mine and next was a steering stabelizer. All those finiky idle drifts and unexplained stalls just go away, and it is so smooth.

• adam574

Posted May 20, 2006 - 12:47 PM

edelbrock is on order. i did read that other thread on the valve sticking but hopefully i won't have much problems with it. hopefully this mod is as good as you guys say

• Xr650rhonda

Posted May 20, 2006 - 01:40 PM

What air filter are you running?

• adam574

Posted May 20, 2006 - 01:45 PM

What air filter are you running?

i am confused as to why this matters. but if it matters i am running a uni i think

• XR_mad

Posted May 20, 2006 - 11:51 PM

well debris could be coming through the air filter and this could have done it

• adam574

Posted May 21, 2006 - 08:42 AM

as far as the damage to the carb. it was all my fault. nothing failed except my own stupidity

• adam574

Posted May 22, 2006 - 12:24 PM

i sanded down the burrs that were on the slide and in the bore and will put it back together tommorow. still go the edelbrock on order but would be nice if i had a back up if something bad happens.

Related Content

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  41 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.