Hanging Idle - What's left to do?

2 replies to this topic
  • teamtoxic

Posted May 19, 2006 - 04:36 AM

So I'm struggling with this hanging idle problem that many of us have experienced at some point. My bike has done it since purchased new. It wasn't a big issue for me riding off road but I'm now spending a lot of time on the street with my supermoto setup where it's very noticable at stop lights and cruising around. I've exhausted the search feature on this topic and considered all suggestions. SO far I have:

1.) Checked for air leaks around carb boot, choke, hot start using oxygen. Nothing.
2.) Checked throttle cable tension. Good. No binding either.
3.) Adjusted valves. Intakes were a bit tight but adjustment did not solve problem.
4.) Cleaned carb
5.) Changed pilot jet from a 46 to a 48. Nothing. Then 48 to 50. Still nothing.

So what's left to check? I've spent a lot of time trying to get rid of this but to no avail.

What's worse is that my Dad just picked up an '06 CRF450 and it's jetted perfectly, from the factory. Grrrrrrr!!! :ride: I won't be able to make fun of him until his valves start going. Damn it!

I've installed the JD kit and adjustable fuel screw which I keep at 1.5 turns out, adjusting from there. 170 main. Now 48 pilot. Otherwise stock.

So can I get some suggestions?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jwcrf05

Posted May 19, 2006 - 06:14 AM

how high is your idle adjusted? if i have mine to high, even if the motor sounds about right, it will hang when I really get on it and let off the gas, otherwise you could have something going on with the choke and cold start circuit, possible dirt that may cause it to be sticking somewhere. I would go to wal-mart or autozone and buy a bottle of berryman carb cleaner, that stuff is pure evil, and put it in the gas tank, mix it with some gas and run that for a while see if it helps. It might make the bike run like crap for a while until its all out but it will eat anything left in that carb if theres dirt in there.

• FriscoKLR

Posted May 19, 2006 - 08:29 AM

Had a similiar problem with my WR400. Did most of the things you listed then took it into the shop. Got it back the the same problem, shop said they fixed by by cleaning an already clean carb and a needless pilot rejet that I immediately changed back. Problem wasn't gone though.

Anyway the problem turned out to be a rebound throttle cable that was frieghed up into the metal guide so I couldn't see it. The throttle tension was good too, I wouldn't have thought this could be the trouble but it was.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.