Adjusting your sag...

4 replies to this topic
  • BIGGITY

Posted May 18, 2006 - 02:16 PM

Yes I am a idiot...

A friend and I were trying to adjust my sag on my 2000 XR650R and it was a byatch. I know it shouldn't be this hard (He just had his done by Barnum and he watched him do it and it looked easy supposedly). There are two rings on top of the coil that need to be screwed clockwise to raise the sag right? I had a punch that I hooked into the grooves and I took the hammer and tapped it.. nothing moved. Anyway kept trying and trying and nothing was changing. I got maybe a 1/8th a turn. I didn't take the tank or airbox off. I thought I might just be able to adjust it by sliding a metal rod in there and then tap it with a hammer so it will spin downwards.. Anyway like I said I'm a idiot...

Can someone help me out here? Maybe a link on how to do it correctly? I did a search on this 600/650 column and I couldn't find anything... HELP! :ride:

• BIGGITY

Posted May 18, 2006 - 02:18 PM

NEVERMIND!! Just found this...

http://www.thumperta...t=adjusting sag

Still don't know why mine won't budge. Maybe I'll try the WD-40 idea...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lkreed

Posted May 18, 2006 - 02:21 PM

I've never adjusted an XR650, but it sounds like one ring is to lock the setting. Tap the top one CCW to loosen it, then adjust with the bottom one :ride:

• jbird710

Posted May 18, 2006 - 02:38 PM

I've never done a a 650R but have done a 650L, XR400R, and two CR500R's.
The top ring is a lock ring as mentioned above. Sometimes they have been
peened to lock them in place. As suggested, break the top ring CCW and the lower ring will probably turn freely. It's easier if the suspension is unloaded (on a center stand) and the threads on the shock aren't dirty. A shot of penetrating oil might also help. The CR's are easiest with the subframe removed.

• MindBlower

Posted May 18, 2006 - 05:34 PM

I've read on here to loosen the lock ring and then grab the spring itself and turn that rather than the 2nd ring. Much easier it's said.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.