What are the benefits of doing the yZ Timing?

28 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted May 27, 2006 - 06:50 PM

sorry but they do not, one has part number ending in 10-00 and the 05 and 04 has 00-00

• MountainMax

Posted May 28, 2006 - 04:11 AM

There is even a difference in price between the two years by 20 bux CAD

• Numskull

Posted May 28, 2006 - 06:53 PM

Can you do this mod to a WR426F 2002 model and do you have to change jets?

Not to hijack mountain Max's thread(as he dont have enough :applause: )

You have more options with your 426 :D You can just turn your exhaust cam one tooth clockwise to get close too the yz cam timming. Or you can buy a YZ exhaust cam to put in her, or you can buy a post 2002( a 2003 wr or yz cam) that has the auto decompression. I dont mind starting my bike at all so the auto decompression mod wont happen here, although I did the yz timming mod. I didnt get any more power but it was much more smooth delivery. I still miss the wr timing though as it had a massive(scary) midrange punch.

• spyder8850

Posted May 30, 2006 - 06:15 AM

Sorry...

Jus to add,

Meaning if I have a WR400 (2000), all I have to do is to turn the exhaust cam one tooth clockwise to enjoy a yz timing. And if I want to have auto-decomp on my ride, I simply change it to yz450 (2003 and below). And I won't have to worry about the timing chan being wear-off faster than it should be. Do I need to re-jet the carb?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted May 30, 2006 - 07:26 AM

Hey Numskull, one can never have too many threads...... :applause:

• Numskull

Posted May 30, 2006 - 03:32 PM

Sorry...

Jus to add,

Meaning if I have a WR400 (2000), all I have to do is to turn the exhaust cam one tooth clockwise to enjoy a yz timing. And if I want to have auto-decomp on my ride, I simply change it to yz450 (2003 and below). And I won't have to worry about the timing chan being wear-off faster than it should be. Do I need to re-jet the carb?

Yes, one tooth clockwise on the exhaust cam; stock you should beable to count 13 chain pins between the two timming marks on the top of the cams. After the one turn clockwise there will be 12 pins to count.

2003 and above have the auto decompression, I would just go with the 03 sence its alot closer to your year. As far as wear gos, dont seem to be a problem.

Your jetting requirements will probally change after this mod.

• paul69

Posted June 02, 2006 - 11:34 PM

so do you prefer the Wr punch or the smooth yz power?

• MountainMax

Posted June 03, 2006 - 06:09 AM

I think you mean the YZ punch or the WR smooth power ??

• Numskull

Posted June 03, 2006 - 05:14 PM

actually the wr timing had the punch that would scare you, and was harder to handle.(although thats what I ride for :applause:)

I quess im really undecided, I think I can get around with more control with the yz timing as it comes on more smooth with a more controllable power band. The wr timing wanted to launch at 5000 rpms, kinda like a two stroker, but was cool all the same. I might switch it back sometime so I can compare them aliitle better. My bike has bionic power which ever way I time it though :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.