O-Ring Chain

13 replies to this topic
  • gjones

Posted May 18, 2006 - 11:38 AM

Has anyone had any issues running a 520 O-ring chain on an 06 450 yet. I am looking at going from a non O-Ring chain to an O-Ring. I was concerned that the additional width might get into the frame/subframe on the top side of the swingarm.
Anyone??

Posted May 18, 2006 - 11:41 AM

nope. i have an RK x-ring. i've only had it for about 5 hours, but like it.

• bruntz505

Posted May 18, 2006 - 06:13 PM

Oring chains are a waste of money,weight and horsepower.Buy a DID ERT chain,and forget the orings.The ERT has more tensile strength than most oring and xring chains,and is cheaper.

• huskysmr450

Posted May 18, 2006 - 06:17 PM

I am running o-ring now and it has lotts of clearence and works well.

• kid on a 426

Posted May 18, 2006 - 06:27 PM

Oring chains are a waste of money,weight and horsepower.Buy a DID ERT chain,and forget the orings.The ERT has more tensile strength than most oring and xring chains,and is cheaper.

O-ring chains aren't much heavier at all the only difference is the little rubber O-rings. The horsepower loss isn't even measurable. They last much longer in most situations if you use the right lube. X-rings are even better because the arms of the X wipes out the dirt that might have gotten in there. Don't worry it will easily clear your swingarm.

• gjones

Posted May 19, 2006 - 04:29 AM

OK so the O-Ring Chain will be fine. Next Question, the stock gearing is 13/49. I have been unable to locate a part number chart that shows '06 sprockets. Is the '05 rear hub the same as the '06. That is to say can I order an '05 49 tooth rear sprocket and it work? Also on the other end, the counter shaft sprocket. Can I order an '05 13 tooth sprocket and it work?

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted May 19, 2006 - 06:20 AM

That is to say can I order an '05 49 tooth rear sprocket and it work? Also on the other end, the counter shaft sprocket. Can I order an '05 13 tooth sprocket and it work?

yes, the sprockets will fit. Both of them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2006 - 07:39 AM

You're entitled to your opinion, but base it on facts.

1> For as little as $70, I can buy a Regina ORN6 that I know will last at least two years, since mine is that old and still doesn't need to be replaced. I don't see that as being a waste of money, or even expensive.

2> The Regina ORN6 and ZRH sealed chains weigh less than 4 ounces more than the non-sealed RX3 chain. DID does not list their weights on their web site. The sealed Reginas are 3.6 lbs/100 links. If you don't buy your tires based on their weight, the chain shouldn't concern you that much.

3> At any single instant, only the 8 O-rings at the points where the chain is running onto or off of the sprockets are moving, and only the 4 at the front move as much as 15-20 degrees. If you are going to tell me that this will cost any significant, measurable on a dyno amount of power, I'll have to ask you to produce some hard evidence of that. I know of none.

4> Tensile strength beyond about 6000 psi is more or less completely meaningless, since your dirt bike can't generate that kind of force in real life. Almost all chains that fail by breaking do so because they were set too tight to be slack throughout the range of suspension travel.

• Lemay427

Posted May 19, 2006 - 07:54 AM

good info grayracer...as always

• GONE1445

Posted May 19, 2006 - 06:25 PM

I dont really like o-ring chains my self I had bad luck with the o-rings cracking and rotting out but that was probably my fault now I just stick with regular chains but different strokes for different folks I guess

• grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2006 - 06:27 PM

Lots of guys like to use WD40 on their O-ring chains after washing them. Not me. WD40 will do exactly that to the seals of some chains.

• GONE1445

Posted May 19, 2006 - 06:33 PM

no I didn't use WD40 on an o-ring chain but I do use it on my chain now and my forks and shock shaft after I wash it because it replaces the water is that bad to do with fork seals?? I read it on a suspension site somewhere

• grayracer513

Posted May 20, 2006 - 09:11 AM

WD40 does displace water very well, but it is mostly volatile petroleum solvents and oils, so it can "dry out" certain kinds of seal materials. I would use a silicon spray on the forks, and follow the WD40 chain treatment with some real chain lube.

• letter

Posted May 21, 2006 - 05:39 PM

Gray, how do you care for your o ring chain? How do you clean it? What do you put on it? Do you put chain lube on it?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.