Questions about maintenance on a YZ426F

Im considering to buy a YZ426F, but im not sure yet what i will end up with.

What i want to know is about maintenance. What kind of maintenance will be necessary, what kind of parts will have to be replaced and how often? Is it like 2-strokers where parts will have to be replaced after 20-30 hours. If i end up buying a bike i will only use it for riding in woods, not tracks.

And im also wondering if its ok to use the YZ426F on regular roads. Ive read about people who say that dirtbikes cant be used much on roads or else they will break. What do you experts have to say to this?

Help out a n00b :ride:

I think if your gonna just ride in the woods then the maintance shold be pretty minimal compared to what you will see on here

just check the valves, check and change the oil, and keep the berings greased and your good to go

I think if your gonna just ride in the woods then the maintance shold be pretty minimal compared to what you will see on here

just check the valves, check and change the oil, and keep the berings greased and your good to go

I think that pretty much covers it. Oh yea, one other thing. Don't forget to hold on tight!! :ride:

I moved from an '84 XR250 to an '01YZ426 and WOW!! Quite a difference to get used to...but in a good way.

yea I know when I read my first issue of MXA they said to put a new topend in a crf450 like ever 15 hours or something crazy like that and I went WHHHHAAAATTT!!!

but that is only if you race and ride really really aggressively

Aside from frequent Oil & Air filter changes (Which should be done regularly on any off-road motorcycle) - My 426 is one of lowest maintenance off-road motorcycles I have ever had. (The only thing close was my 89 Suzook RMX250 which was 2-Stroke) IMO - Many of the newer and older 2-Strokes are lower maintenance than many of the newer 4-Strokes. All proportional to the rider and conditions.

I personally wouldn't ride a 426 on the street but many do and have made really nice conversions to do just that. There are much better bikes out there for that purpose that will costs less $$'s in the end.

If you are thinking of making it road worthy, then I would look closer at a WR. I have heard stories of YZ426's over heating while they wiat for a stop light to change. The WR has larger radiators and a much wider tranmition not to mention a kick stand and lights It is made to ride on fire roads and will convert over much easier.

Thanks for the replies guys. So, what is the difference between a WR and YZ? They look the same to me. :ride:

i think different cams and the wr can use lights i think. also the fly wheel might be heavier. i think the wr pipe is a little more corked up too but not sure

the WR has a Wide Ratio transmission instead of the close ratio of the yz and it has a spark arrestor I belive also the lights and it has a little less power but there are some "free mods" that you can do to one and uncorke it a lot I hear but somone else can probably tell you more