450 valves

11 replies to this topic
  • jimbopitts

Posted May 17, 2006 - 05:50 AM

anybody tried stainless steel valves?I heard they are more durable but your bike will rev slower because of the weight.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 17, 2006 - 06:02 AM

No but be aware that Kibblewhite has some big cust sat issues right now.......... :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted May 17, 2006 - 07:01 AM

Are you having a durability issue with your Ti valves? Do you know anyone who has? My '03 has not yet needed its first adjustment. This is not a Honda.

But be that as it may, I would avoid Kibblewhite for a variety of reasons, and use instead valves from Ferrea, available through Ron Hamp Cycle. I don't think you will see a difference in the rev range, but you will need heavier springs because the valves are roughly twice as heavy. RHC can provide those as well, or you could experiment with springs for a 2000 YZ426, which had SS valves. I don't know if they will fit and set up correctly, but they might, and they'd be very inexpensive.

For more insight as to why not KW, read:

• jimbopitts

Posted May 17, 2006 - 08:44 AM

no, i do not have valve issues, 1 of my intakes were tight, the right side. with the bike facing forward. i haven't heard of any problems with the ti's. just wondering for the future. thank you

• grayracer513

Posted May 17, 2006 - 12:41 PM

How tight was "tight"?

• jimbopitts

Posted May 19, 2006 - 08:36 AM

it was only 1 thousanth off, or .07 mm. The stock pad was a 189 and my mechanic at my shop gave me a 185 and it put it right at .15 mm.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2006 - 09:37 AM

That happens sometimes. It was probably a matter of a valve settling into a seat, and it should now stabilize clearance. Watch it for a little while to be sure it does.

• jimbopitts

Posted May 19, 2006 - 10:12 AM

thank you for the info

• grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2006 - 06:39 PM

On reviewing this more carefully, I see a contradiction:

If you had a valve at .07mm, and went from a 189 to 185, you would now have .11mm clearance. If you now actually have .15mm, that means that you had .11mm before you shimmed, and the valve in question was perfectly fine. They are built to the low end of the clearance range at the factory. One or the other of your measurements has to have been wrong. An .04mm shim change will not move a valve .08mm.

• jimbopitts

Posted May 20, 2006 - 04:12 PM

I am 99% sure I measured right. At TDC only the feeler gage that fits will fit. I could be wrong but, I didn't think the pads measured at .01mm per number. Either way my valve is in spec, but I will be more careful when I check next time.

• grayracer513

Posted May 20, 2006 - 07:14 PM

The service shims sold by Yamaha are only available in .05mm increments. Honda sells them in .025mm increments, but they are marked only down to the second decimal. What is actually a 1.875mm shim is marked 188, and a 1.825 is marked 182.

But the shims that Yamaha uses at the factory are made in .01 increments, so the odd numbered ones you see when you first open up a new YZF engine are of those sizes. Hang onto them if you can.

In checking valves, it is not the largest gauge that will fit, because you can almost always force in a gauge one size larger than the actual clearance. It is the the gauge that "feels" (there's that word) like it just fits that indicates the true clearance. :ride:

• jimbopitts

Posted May 21, 2006 - 04:58 PM

Again, thank you for the info. Whats your local track? In the L.A. area I like glen helen or cahuilla creek.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.