best suspension setup for 240lbs stock

18 replies to this topic
  • looney

Posted May 17, 2006 - 04:35 AM

can some one tell me from Michigan the best suspension setup for 240lbs person in Michigan terrain. i have not done the suspension set up mods for my bike yet and want to set the compression and rebound to best fit me with stock springs and valving. i am having problems with the bike pushing in the corners. i am now ruining with the rear suspension soft this helped alot. i ride the snowmobile trails 80% of the time and 20% single tracks.

• MountainMax

Posted May 19, 2006 - 04:28 PM

I would like to know also.

• sabrecat700

Posted May 19, 2006 - 04:31 PM

I am in MI and got 10#on you. I could use some work done also.

• cdkrv

Posted May 19, 2006 - 06:39 PM

you boys in mi. need to work out during those snowy winters. you will probably need to have the suspension revalved for your weight and heavier springs. Don't know of a place in mi., but out here where the weather is always warm and located in the heart of motocross heaven being socal I would use precision concepts.

• Express

Posted May 19, 2006 - 07:57 PM

http://www.pro-action.com/main.html

These guys are in Pa and have a pretty solid reputation in the industry.

• cwarren

Posted May 19, 2006 - 08:42 PM

MCR in Metamora MI. They will get ya hooked up at a reasonable price.

• clark4131

Posted May 20, 2006 - 06:00 AM

Anything over 200 pounds is going to require the suspension to be reworked. At the very least, new springs. I'm 225 and put in new springs front and rear, as well as heavier fork oil with a higher level. It's all easy to do with the manual's help, but it'll run you about $250. Without the changes, your only other option is to lose weight. The stock suspension simply won't work for us Clydesdales...SC

• MountainMax

Posted May 20, 2006 - 06:03 AM

guys, please stop saying se NEED revalving, im in an area where that is not possible, over the next winter i will buy new springs but FOR NOW i want to set up the bike the best i can, please just give a little help here. there are lots of adjustments for dampning and rear tension, what is the best thing us heavy riders can do stock? if you say we need new stuff can't we just set our spring tighter and valving harder/softer to max it out to be as close as we can before needing the new parts? like if the spring is too soft can't i just turn the rear spring nut tighter? if the valving is wront how is it wrong? too soft? i can max out the dampning settings to be closer at least for now? please guys what can we do..........

• Old_Yeller

Posted May 20, 2006 - 06:07 AM

There is no way you are going to be able to set up the suspension to work well at your weight. You need heavier springs. The springs will cost you a little over $200 and will be the best money you will ever spend.

Here is what Race Tech says you need:

Front Fork:
Type of Riding: Desert / Enduro / Trail
Rider Weight: 240 lbs
Recommended Spring Rate: 0.494 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Fork Spring Rate (measured): .460 kg/mm (stock)

Rear Shock:
Type of Riding: Desert / Enduro / Trail
Rider Weight: 240 lbs
Recommended Spring Rate: 5.84 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Shock Spring Rate (measured): 5.3 kg/mm (stock)

Trust me on this, it will be like getting a new bike! I'm a big boy too and I was shocked at the difference new springs made. You will still need a revalve on the front forks but you may be able to get by on the back shock with stock valves.

Good Luck!
Fred

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • theclone

Posted May 20, 2006 - 11:37 AM

Yeah you need heavier springs. These bikes come from the factory set up for a 160-170 lb rider.

• internetguy

Posted May 20, 2006 - 03:48 PM

Bro's-- also the weight and amount of oil in the fork makes a huge difference. Most of the factories use something only slightly better than fish oil- you'll want the right spec here too.

Best-

Neil.

• madmud

Posted May 20, 2006 - 06:05 PM

Guys I know where your coming from trying to get the most out of what you have, i'm in the same boat. First (I can't believe no one mentioned this) Is get the DVD Brian sells on this site about suspension set up. It's only 20 bucks and you'll learn A LOT about how the system works. Second get your manual out and start playing with the settings. Turn all the adjusters in - all the way- (while countig the "clicks") then back them out ten clicks or so and try it out keep track of the settings and adjust accordingly

Also the previous posts are correct a spring is only made to handle so much of a load remember a shock only keeps the spring from going boing ong ong ong ong
every time you hit a bump

• FTD

Posted May 20, 2006 - 06:45 PM

can some one tell me from Michigan the best suspension setup for 240lbs person in Michigan terrain. i have not done the suspension set up mods for my bike yet and want to set the compression and rebound to best fit me with stock springs and valving. i am having problems with the bike pushing in the corners. i am now ruining with the rear suspension soft this helped alot. i ride the snowmobile trails 80% of the time and 20% single tracks.

Play with the clickers... mark down how many clicks and ride it. Do this over and over until you get the right feel for you... that is what I did! :ride: I go 245#'s plus gear and I stiffened them up a lot.
I think the push in corners is because the WR's are heavy!

• TWILES

Posted May 22, 2006 - 01:06 PM

I'm in the same boat at 245lbs. I got some different numbers than race tech. Factory Connection sent me these 0.50 fork and 6.3 rear.

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 23, 2006 - 06:57 AM

I'm in the same boat at 245lbs. I got some different numbers than race tech. Factory Connection sent me these 0.50 fork and 6.3 rear.

Those are some stiff numbers, how do you like it?

• GCannon

Posted May 23, 2006 - 07:22 AM

Do whatever you have to do to get new springs and new valving on the bike. It will be the best thing you ever do to your motorcycle. Being that heavy will never work right by increasing the preload and there is no preload adjustment in front. You will be faster , more comfortable, safer, and enjoy much better handleing.

• splitpunk

Posted May 23, 2006 - 07:36 AM

WOW I thought every one on a bike was like 150lbs it's good to know I am not the biggest guy out there. 235 solid like a brick s :ride: house.I still need to do all the before mentioned on my bike. When I bought my WR250 the sales men never told me about my weight. If he did I would have bought a 450. back in the day when I was a wee little kid 185lbs I rode a 250 2 smoker now the 4 stroke is a different thing all together but he did not tell me about that either. So now what I am hearing is I must spend another couple hun$$ probably a grand I like to go with the best to get my bike to where it should be Or just ride it for a year and then give it to the wife or kid and buy a real Bike :lol: :bonk:Thanks for the info at least I know what I am in for now :banana: :busted: :smirk:

• spritefiend

Posted May 23, 2006 - 11:07 AM

WOW I thought every one on a bike was like 150lbs it's good to know I am not the biggest guy out there. 235 solid like a brick s :ride: house.I still need to do all the before mentioned on my bike. When I bought my WR250 the sales men never told me about my weight. If he did I would have bought a 450. back in the day when I was a wee little kid 185lbs I rode a 250 2 smoker now the 4 stroke is a different thing all together but he did not tell me about that either. So now what I am hearing is I must spend another couple hun$$ probably a grand I like to go with the best to get my bike to where it should be Or just ride it for a year and then give it to the wife or kid and buy a real Bike :lol: :bonk:Thanks for the info at least I know what I am in for now :banana: :busted: :smirk:

yep, i can relate to you on that... my first was a yz250 2smoke i wasnt heavy enough then to top out my suspension. my first road bike however was a yzf-r6... not 1 person told me my weight would be any sort of a factor or problem.. for over a year and a half i rode without knowing until i finally took it upon myself to research this kinda crap and start doing my own maint etc etc...

now im at the same place with my wr450f, im going to have to drop some coin on the suspension work to get it right for me..

John.

• TWILES

Posted May 23, 2006 - 11:27 AM

My weight is the main reason I bought the WR. The new 450 quads are not like the 2-strokes I was used to. They really are designed for a 180lb rider. Setting shocks for 250lbs is maxing them out plus puts a BIG strain on the frame of the bike. Since it will run close to $3500 for a front and rear suspension to get you up to 12 inches of travel, I just decided to try out a bike since they already have 12 inches of travel. I didn't actually get those springs. I meant to say that was what they sent to me by email. I don't know if I'll redo mine or not. I seriously thinking about going to a KTM next year. Probably 2-stroke.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.